Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times

Advertisements

I don't know THAT many crazy people. Just a few people who have done a LOT of things which are either nutty or annoying to me. So this is about one of that same batch of people whose (extended) family I've complained about.

I have a friend I met when he was still single. After about 6 years, he got married. I thought everything was hunky-dory, but within the last few years, he tells me:

- that his wife is physically abusive to their daughter (1 to 2 years old) to get her to be quiet, but that they are in therapy (funny, because he was never in therapy before getting married). So, why did his wife do this? In therapy, it was learned that it was done to his wife when she was a child. I didn't like his little girl, who screamed uncontrollably when she had to go to the bathroom or had to go to sleep, shouting "I want Daddy to take me" repeatedly. Now, after hearing what his wife did to her, I can see why this child screams. I think this child will be scarred because of this.

- that his wife and her sister sit there in his house and try on different clothes or swimwear, with the door flung open for anyone to walk by, with no problem whatsoever about having their jugs bouncing around and visible.

My friend comes from a family that is kind of repressed. On the other hand, his wife comes from a family that is full of boundary problems that are all over the map, and present in all of her siblings.

Question: Why is my friend telling me this crazy stuff? Not only that, he speaks about it in a nonchalant way, like he's desensitized to it. Any ideas?

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-27-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 01:36 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,177,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't know THAT many crazy people. Just a few people who have done a LOT of things which are either nutty or annoying to me. So this is about one of that same batch of people whose (extended) family I've complained about.

I have a friend I met when he was still single. After about 6 years, he got married. I thought everything was hunky-dory, but within the last few years, he tells me:

- that his wife is physically abusive to their daughter (1 to 2 years old) to get her to be quiet, but that they are in therapy (funny, because he was never in therapy before getting married). So, why did his wife do this? In therapy, it was learned that it was done to his wife when she was a child. I didn't like his little girl, who screamed uncontrollably when she had to go to the bathroom or had to go to sleep, shouting "I want Daddy to take me" repeatedly. Now, after hearing what his wife did to her, I can see why this child screams. I think this child will be scarred because of this.

- that his wife and her sister sit there in his house and try on different clothes or swimwear, with the door flung open for anyone to walk by, with no problem whatsoever about having their jugs bouncing around and visible.

My friend comes from a family that is kind of repressed. On the other hand, his wife comes from a family that is full of boundary problems that are all over the map, and present in all of her siblings.

Question: Why is my friend telling me this crazy stuff? Not only that, he speaks about it in a nonchalant way, like he's desensitized to it. Any ideas?
Directed towards the OP..
He obviously considers you a good friend or one of the only friends he has..

He obviously needs to vent ! And even though it may seem like he is twice removed from his actual life does not mean he does not care or desensitized..
This has been his life, to HIM? This is his “normal” …
One usually sees this a lot with victims..They can speak about a traumatic situation eve though it includes them or loved ones as no big deal simply because this has been their “Normal” for some time.

What is occurring to his daughter is not normal, I am unsure as to why the therapist has not reported the wife? There is a confidentiality factor however as a therapist? They are still held to mandated reporter laws.

I am sorry you have had to be a part of this and I would state to your friend that while you are his friend this makes you uncomfortable.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,816,396 times
seems like he trusts you and needs to talk.
I'm less worried about him and more concerned about his daughter.
Someone should be reporting her to Child Protective Services unless the father is making sure the child is protected from the abuse the mom is hurling at her.

If you're not comfortable with the situation you might want to distance yourself.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,762,271 times
Yes, he's desensitized to it... he's living it everyday.

The use of the word "jugs" is offensive to me... want to be taken seriously? - call them breasts.

You must be a good friend (or his only friend)...he obviously feels comfortable enough talking to you about these things. I'm sure he NEEDS to talk to you.

What is being done for the daughter? I would hope the abuse by the wife has stopped because the therapist is aware of it now.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
I wonder if you are a very trusted friend to this man hence the reason he feels he can talk to you about this issue. I am sure he has the need to talk to someone about this and he must feel you are very good friends and he trusts you enough to tell you.
Honestly all you have to do is just listen there is really no need to offer any advice if you don't want to, just be his friend.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
seems like he trusts you and needs to talk.
I'm less worried about him and more concerned about his daughter.
Someone should be reporting her to Child Protective Services unless the father is making sure the child is protected from the abuse the mom is hurling at her.

If you're not comfortable with the situation you might want to distance yourself.
Yes. I felt that someone needed to do the reporting, but if they're in therapy together, then the therapist already knows.

Distance myself? Yes. The wife is obnoxious and had a matchmaking obsession (other thread) plus, once I heard why the daughter screamed, I no longer wanted to set foot in their house and have to sit there at the dinner table with his wife.

I wish them the best. I think their youngest daughter got it the worst and I hope she'll get over what nasty kind of punishment she was subjected to. My friend was better off single, I think, and was very low-maintenance to deal with. I wonder if he thinks the same thing.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Yes, he's desensitized to it... he's living it everyday.

The use of the word "jugs" is offensive to me... want to be taken seriously? - call them breasts.
Let's chill on this. Many here also post on regular "Relationships" where banter like this is the order of the day. When a person is intelligent and makes cogent arguments, it is apparent. It would be interesting to listen into the Oval Office and Secret Service banter over the years.

Warped that one could let someone into their life which completely overhauls their baseline for "normalcy."

Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,034,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

What a mess. He's talking to you because he trusts you. Even though you mentioned that the therapist knows about the abuse, I would still call CPS. That poor child . I would also talk to the guy and ask him why he thinks it's ok to stay with someone who is abusive toward their child. Give him a reality check. Tell him if he wants to keep his daughter off the pole, away from drugs and not have her with a plethora of other issues he better step in and act now.

Last edited by carlitasway; 10-29-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
What a mess. He's talking to you because he trusts you. Even though you mentioned that the therapist knows about the abuse, I would still call CPS. That poor child . I would also talk to the guy and ask him why he thinks it's ok to stay with someone who is abusive toward their child. Give him a reality check. Tell him if he wants to keep his daughter off the pole, away from drugs and not have her with a plethora of other issues he better step in and act now.
He married late(r). He comes from a strict Catholic household. I think he likes it better than being alone, despite the negative interaction. I also think it's about saving face and dismantling a comfortable suburban household.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I wonder if you are a very trusted friend to this man hence the reason he feels he can talk to you about this issue. I am sure he has the need to talk to someone about this and he must feel you are very good friends and he trusts you enough to tell you.
Honestly all you have to do is just listen there is really no need to offer any advice if you don't want to, just be his friend.
I Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships