Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,555,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
A Movie Star is not like you and I or they would not be paid millions to appear on screen and show up at parties. They have something else and a natural charisma, charm and good looks.
No....they happen to be very good at their jobs and/or got a break in an industry that pays the big shots quite well.
They still eat, drink, pee, poop, cry, laugh, sleep, sneeze and get sick just like the rest of us.
I know people who are much better looking and more charming than most of them in real life who are equally successful in their fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
I forgot about this. I had a one-hour conversation with Bart Starr (Green Bay quarterback, two-time Super Bowl winner) while conducting an on-camera interview. Probably one of the nicest, kindest men I've ever met. As it turns out, he now spends a lot of time counseling NFLers on how to manage their money and how to keep their heads screwed on straight. I mentioned in passing how my father-in-law was a big fan. He asked my father-in-law's name and -- voila! -- two autographed photos of Mr. Starr appeared in my mailbox two days later. I didn't ask. He just did it.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I forgot about this. I had a one-hour conversation with Bart Starr (Green Bay quarterback, two-time Super Bowl winner) while conducting an on-camera interview. Probably one of the nicest, kindest men I've ever met. As it turns out, he now spends a lot of time counseling NFLers on how to manage their money and how to keep their heads screwed on straight. I mentioned in passing how my father-in-law was a big fan. He asked my father-in-law's name and -- voila! -- two autographed photos of Mr. Starr appeared in my mailbox two days later. I didn't ask. He just did it.

Yeah...he's ok....for a Packer

Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Yeah...he's ok....for a Packer
In a similar vein...My B'ham Uncle was a Ryan Newman fan..he admired his intelligence and his insistance that he and his team have college degrees.
We had met Ryan at one of the Dega races and told him about Uncle and that he was sick. He asked his name, we told him and didnt think much more about it.
Ryan found out which hospital he was in and came to see him. Spent the whole afternoon with him. My uncle passed away about a month later, we contacted him and while he couldn't come to the funeral he sent flowers and still checks in with us once in a while.
I'll always be a Newman fan.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,790,560 times
Heck, I'm impressed. I keep my composure and avoid making them feel awkward, but I usually ask for a photo if its appropriate for the situation. I've met a few Project Runway contestants and Daniel Tosh from Tosh.0 and if things fall into place I may be meeting Drew Brees. It's just fun to get to say you've met so and so from TV or movies or sports.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Heck, I'm impressed. I keep my composure and avoid making them feel awkward, but I usually ask for a photo if its appropriate for the situation. I've met a few Project Runway contestants and Daniel Tosh from Tosh.0 and if things fall into place I may be meeting Drew Brees. It's just fun to get to say you've met so and so from TV or movies or sports.
Well, that's the thing. These are mostly people who have done something really cool. Oh, sure, some of it is luck. But luck doesn't mean a damn thing without talent and hard work. So they've earned the respect we give them.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
For example, I was at a social gathering a few months ago and a somewhat famous Economist and professor approached me. I shook his hand and exchanged a few pleasantries.. only till near the end of the interaction did I realize who he was but I didn't even feel any bit impressed by the encounter.
In 2005, I got to meet (and open up for) one of my all-time favorite musical performers from the rock 'n' roll era. After our respective bands played, we talked music for a while. He didn't know that his greatest hits CD was one of the first things I bought after getting my first CD player as a young teenager. Ultimately, he's a person just like me. He had the right combination of skill, talent, and what most people commonly call "luck" to be able to make a name for himself as a musician in the 1960's. I left thinking that it was cool, but keeping everything in perspective.

Sometimes people approach me to give them autographs. I always oblige, but I make sure I give them the same perspective. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm some kind of Superman who deserves to be on a pedestal. I'm a guy who's using his talents. We all have talents, and we all have the ability to use them. The fact that I'm doing so, in a visible way, doesn't make me any better than anyone else.

I've always had that thought about famous people. They're usually like the rest of us... just trying to put food on the table. Those who go beyond that and buy tons of extravagant luxuries are merely trying to mask their inner unhappiness, and they usually wind up on drugs or something like that. Those who have no such mental issues are as normal as anyone... and generally don't want to be put on a pedestal either.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,063,680 times
I used to work in the entertainment field, and was around musicians often. Some were cool, but most were arrogant douches. We were told once, that we (employees) were not allowed to look famous musician in the eyes. Also stupid requests such as Skittles without the red ones, or something like that.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
I think for most people, it would SERIOUSLY depend on the celebrity.
If it's an entertainer, I could give a rat's ass. The exception would be Lucille Ball...that woman amazes me for other reasons.
If it is someone like Feynman or Einstein (yes, I realize they are dead), then I would be stoked to meet and speak with them.
A lot of professional athletes used to live around us, and they weren't very wow-worthy neighbors, let's just say.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,643,930 times
I didn't "meet" this celebrity per-se but Pooch Hall from the Game literally passed right by me when I just arriving out of the gate at Atlanta International Airport. I've never been that close or in person to any mainstream celebrity (not that I cared) so it was kind of surreal for me at first. I've always wanted to see what they looked like in person so I was glad to have experienced that. I was surprised how short he was. And also he looked pale. And he didn't have ANY sunglasses on. I was so confused. I was thinking to myself - does he know he's Pooch Hall and walking around Atlanta Hartsfield shieldless and with no security guards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships