Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

google FACEBOOK DEPRESSION and you get all sorts of interesting references. This is just one article

The Truth About Facebook Depression [Infographic] | Help for Depression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You do realize facebook's only purpose is to find out who is sleeping with who? No one posts the truth on facebook and like Shakespeare said, "there's daggers in men's smiles."

Everyone BS and its just a time waster.
Really? I guess I'm just from a different generation. I'm far removed from being a teenager or a twenty-something.

Most of the people I know have been married for over 20 years. I assume they are sleeping with their spouses, and if they are sleeping with others, they're not telling .

Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 AM

200 posts, read 482,819 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I recently started an account on Facebook for various reasons. I now find myself "stalking" others from my high school class (and to a much lesser extent, my college class) to see what they are doing. I don't "friend" them, because these are people that I don't know very well. I'm just curious. These are people I haven't thought about in years! I will probably never "friend" them, because I was very shy in high school and they won't even know who I am!

What depresses me is how well everyone is doing! Not that I mind that, I'm happy for them, but everything is daisies and kittens and sunshine! They love their jobs, and they have many wonderful children!

Now I am aware that this may just be a front for what is really going on in their lives. Obviously, if they are having marital problems or their children are troublemakers they won't admit that.

But they are always going on about how happy they are! They make lots of money! Their families are wonderful!

They are doctors or lawyers or run successful businesses!

Some people from my high school class don't have Facebook pages. I wonder why? Are they not successful enough?

It makes me feel like such a failure, both professionally and personally.

A good thing is that reading these Facebook pages has made me make profound changes in my life.

I am happily married (I just got married last year for the first time!) I have a wonderful step-daughter and mother-in-law. I don't know if I would have taken the plunge if it wasn't for Facebook. My husband and I lived together for years, but I finally wanted that "commitment." After all, we plan to stay together forever.

I am starting a business, but because of health problems it's taking a lot of time. I also have very little money, due to very stupid decisions that I have made in the past.

I hope to make my business into a very successful one, but it will take a year or two. I am finally going to use my college degree doing something that I love!

Do you ever feel like you've failed because of what you read on Facebook?
First, I don't have FB. Okay, I do, but only because many years ago my older brother said to me, "It's great! I have a site! Go check it out!" So I did. But I couldn't see it because I had to be registered. So I did. Only to find out that I couldn't figure out what the big deal was about his page. I think it took me a year to get back to it. The 3rd time I did, it took me over 10 minutes to figure out how to use the darn page (mine) and I sat there thinking of all the ways FB could be better and how Mark Z. isn't as intelligent as he thinks because there are some serious flaws with FB.

Then I realized that all FB is is a glorified space machine. And popularity contest. I used it as the former. Not interested in it as the latter. I got me and that's all I need.

As for your other comments... It's 2013. Look around. Look at what country you're in and how UNhappy we all are. Don't fall for it. If half those people are REALLY lawyers and doctors, I'd like to know how they find the time to even punch in their FB code. Please. Your old school mates who don't have a page probably ARE those doctors and lawyers! Lots of money and happy marriages? The stat for the past decade for both has been 50%. 50% of the pop is divorced and 50% of the pop is one paycheck away from being homeless. So gee, I guess all of them are that OTHER 50%!! Not.

My question to you is... Why are you repeating an action that makes you feel negative? What's that about??

Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM

23 posts, read 42,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
These are people you don't know very well, who you think won't know who you are and who you haven't thought about in years.
This is why I have only 50 friends on my facebook. I know them all very well.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 21,219 times
Quite honestly, I went from a lot of friends on F/B to very few due to bragging and drama.

I usually use it to keep up with family and one or two people I care about. The rest are university level friends who seem to all have had the Midas Touch and had perfect lives.

You do realize everyone or nearly everyone lies on Facebook. No one is going to say I suck or I work as a janitor or I lost my house in a bad investment or my wife left me because I gained 45 pounds.

Even relatives can cause you stress.

Read each post with a grain of salt. Most people do not have great jobs. Most do not fall in **** and come up smelling of roses.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
If someone was bragging on FB about loving their job, I'd probably just think they're on lithium.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
FB is usually filled with embellishments if not lies. Just say..."Recently, I married the love of my life and gained a wonderful family just like I always wanted. I am just starting the business that I have always dreamed of having, and it is taking off. I couldn't be happier, and my life is better than it has ever been." See how easy it is. You don't even have to lie because according to your post that is what is going on in your life. If anyone asks questions beyond this, continue to talk about all the good things that are going on in your life. Or you could just get off FB like many of us have.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
I've been out of high school for four years this upcoming June. I have a Facebook. I always try to deactivate it but it never lasts long because there are people on there that I can only stay in contact with through Facebook.

I used to post a lot but I hardly update my statuses anymore because I have nothing to say and feel like I will just be annoying posting random rants and other things like that.

Some people I went to high school with are married, some have babies and small children. The ones that had rich parents are at schools like UCLA and a lot of them travel the World and post pictures of their worldly adventures. Some have regular minimum wage jobs and others like me are still in community colleges getting ready to transfer to universities. Like I said it has only been a few years since high school and all of this has happened.

My biggest gripes with Facebook are the political posts by friends. I see posts bashing Obama, ranting about how much they love their guns, etc. These people are otherwise great friends but their political/religious rants make me think twice about the type of person they are. I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions and all that but there is no need to post constantly everyday about how much you hate Obama, are against gun control, and that you love Jesus. I get your feelings after one post, you can stop after that. I rarely post anything political and if I do, I don't start insulting people that may feel differently and my posts are usually filled with intelligent thoughts rather than pictures and rants like, "the government gonna take our guns!!!!"

Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
There was a thing on the news about this. I use Facebook to keep in contact with out of state family and a few friends. It's so much easier to see photos that way. I don't get caught up in jealousy and drama in real life, so why would I on "teh interwebz".

Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
I have a FB account and have enjoyed being able to get back in touch and stay in touch with high school friends. Alot of us have made plans with each other and met families and all of that. So, it has been positive in that regard.

Have I deleted people for stuff? Yep. Or I will just block their updates. I just don't feed into everything that gets posted by everyone. I just do ME and let them post whatever they want, maybe embellishment is what helps THEM get through the crappy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships