U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM

5,852 posts, read 5,527,122 times

Advertisements

300,000 of the college graduates wait tables not speaking of many more doing other blue color lines of work. And those are not the jobs that put them through grad schools, those are survival jobs. More and more college graduates end up in the blue color lines of work for good. Judging person' education and knowledge by his occupation ... I guess you need to go to a college for that. Working some "white color jobs" could damage your brain as no blue color job can. So, it's another groundless assumption. Somebody mentioned scientists, etc. and all those smart conversations they might have, sorry, great many of them didn't read a single book in years, they have no time for that. Those who read something, keep their opinions to themselves (especially if they are foreigners), it's a cutthroat world in the get-funded world, virtually anything you say/do can and will be used against you in the squabbles. Never trust a scientist. Why? Because they don't trust each other most of the time. Some shouldn't trust even themselves they got so proficient at hyping things up for cash.

Any white color work situation involving upward mobility (or job retention in an uncertain funding environment) & competition for funding is stressful by default, people assume personalities of a spy behind enemy lines and behave correspondingly at all times. It's a good idea not to trust anyone. Believe it or not, blue color lines of work involving upward mobility (or job retention) & competition for funding are just as stressful and fake. You are what you do, don't you? That's blue color workers without excessive status anxiety (or immediate fear of termination) are the ones who can afford their real personalities and who are generally fun. If that particular blue color work doesn't involve exhausting labor and cramming your brain with all sorts of garbage, it's a dream job for any self proclaimed "intellectual". You get living expenses covered, you keep your unadjusted personality, you have enough of energy, free time and brain capacity left to pursue your unguided&unmanaged interests (that don't consume excessive amount of $). There are some blue color jobs like that, not that many though.

Personally, my dream job is a technician at a National Lab (blue color, it requires HS or CC + relatives in the right places to get you in). Good salary, benefits, pension, minimum or no work, plenty of time, lengthy vacations and strict 8 hrs work days. I don't care how white color you are, you are unlikely to beat that. You cant' believe how fun, relaxed, well read, intelligent, authentic those HS educated technicians can be. I thought they lived in a communism of some sort.

Many white color rejects work blue color lines of work. Many white color jobs damage your brain and psyche. Many white color jobs don't allow for free time, reading and all that intellectual "finesse" white color types are so proud of (one is little more than a single-minded zombie running on a specialized treadmill). If for anything, most blue color jobs don't litter your mind with garbage. You just need to find one that wouldn't break your body/health and pay semi decently.

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-29-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,439,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I don't have any blue collar friends, but I have socialized with blue collar people. My observations:

White collar people have more interesting hobbies and interests (to me): More likely to have traveled to various countries, gone away to college, have hobbies like running, cycling, tennis, triathlons. They are also more well read and more likely to see off the beaten path films. Lastly, they are more politically aware and engaged. On the other hand, it's true they are more into status which is not something I'm into.

Blue collar people are nice, but I guess I just don't have much in common with most of them.
You don't have any blue collar friends? Your forum name is "Broncos Quarterback". LOL

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,439,679 times
Oh stop it, Jonny! We all know what's going on here! You're just jealous because you can't hang with us!:

There's no shame in being out of someone's league. You don't think my brother and I wouldn't love to be members of the Empire Club? We all have our disappointments.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 AM

20,068 posts, read 15,481,347 times
Here's an idea:

Find a couple of pals who have worked in both areas (white & blue).

There are a few of them out there. They are the really interesting ones!

They are usually up for anything and everything.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 AM

16,048 posts, read 1,335,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I was waiting on a reply like this. Of all of the replies, this is the one that's on par with what I am talking about.

So Blue Collar is less work oriented, less responsible, does not take it home, clocks in/out, ... Nice stereo type.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 5,314,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The only other thing I would add is white collar people can be intelligent, but if they are also conceited that erases most of my interest. If I meet a new white collar person that starts bragging ad nauseum like they are the most intelligent person you will ever meet (etc), I'll challenge them to a game of chess. Almost every time they will say "Sure, but it has been soooo long since I last played. I may have even forgotten some of the rules." It is sure an easy way to spot pseudo intellectuals or to be more blunt...phony people. Some blue collars are not perfect either. There are the BC guys that think the guy that uses the most swear words or brags about picking up the most women or downing the most alcohol back in the day twenty years ago or so is the most popular and interesting. I find this to only happen on occasion, though. Most people I have met (both blue and white collar) have been pleasant. The above are the exceptions. Life is too short. Enjoy people from different walks of life.
You can't judge people's intelligence based on whether or not they have competance in an area you enjoy or one where you excel. Would you assume a Neurosurgeon is unintelligent if he or she doesn't know how to play chess? I'd much rather have a Neosurgeon who is great at neurosurgery operate on me than one who is so so but, knows how to move around pieces on a chess board.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM

60,043 posts, read 78,452,350 times
blue collar are more transparent. the white collar are more skilled at game playing.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM

11,101 posts, read 9,372,865 times
OP, you noted that your blue collar friends enjoy a lot of outdoor activities. You might want to look into joining a group that promotes the outdoors and offers hikes, camping, etc, in order to meet like-minded white collar people who share these interests: the Sierra Club, the Wilderness Society, the Nature Conservancy, etc. Or see what your local nature sanctuary or closest state park has to offer - most schedule day hikes during fall folliage and spring wildflower seasons. Meet-up groups are another option for connecting with people with whom you have more in common.

Meanwhile, enjoy people from all backgrounds for what they have to offer and for the pleasure their company brings you. If you find yourself more frustrated than satisfied after spending time with them, find another way to spend your time.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM

3,856 posts, read 7,821,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
So Blue Collar is less work oriented, less responsible, does not take it home, clocks in/out, ... Nice stereo type.
Actually I didn't see the posts that way at all. IME, blue collar workers seem to have a better work life balance than white collar workers.

Many might work 60+ hours a week but when they are off the clock they are really off of the clock. I'm what you might consider a white collar worker but I am the exact same way.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM

2,840 posts, read 5,574,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Cpg, I am a white collar guy with a college degree. However, talk about pounding the nail in the wood way too hard and totally shattering the two by four as well! That describes your post. It is obvious you just despise blue collar people and may also be a bit of a snob. As for me, I think I do OK with both types. I would probably rather hang with the blue collars at a sports bar or casual backyard BBQ, but enjoy a coffeehouse, discuss politics or go to a nice restaurant with white collar people. I certainly make exceptions to that, though and try not to categorize people too much. I certainly hope you don't share this opinion with your plumber or auto mechanic!! They are people, too. All law abiding people are worthy of respect...values passed on to me by my parents.

Very well put. I have no more to add..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships