Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM

242 posts, read 355,400 times

Advertisements

I'm talking middle people here.

Seems like even though I am white collar, I enjoy hanging with my blue collar friends more.
They seem to have the coolest interests: hunting, off roading, hiking, camping, photography, flying Cesna's,etc....

My white collar friends are the typical yuppies: they only like "nice" resturants, movies and their lives rotate around their children. They seem not to have ANY hobbies of interest. "Date night" is the highlight of their lives. Their conversations are boring and it's all about putting on the image of being "high class". Social status is what's important to my white collar friends.

Have you ever noticed this difference with white collar and blue collar people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,564 times
I had noticed this myself with some of my friends when I was younger and had more free time. I tend to get along with the blue collar crowd better than I do with the average office cubicle dweller. Once kids are in the picture, it cuts down on anyone's free time. You know, it's more about the person than what they do for a living.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I'm talking middle people here.

Seems like even though I am white collar, I enjoy hanging with my blue collar friends more.
They seem to have the coolest interests: hunting, off roading, hiking, camping, photography, flying Cesna's,etc....

My white collar friends are the typical yuppies: they only like "nice" resturants, movies and their lives rotate around their children. They seem not to have ANY hobbies of interest. "Date night" is the highlight of their lives. Their conversations are boring and it's all about putting on the image of being "high class". Social status is what's important to my white collar friends.

Have you ever noticed this difference with white collar and blue collar people?
Many white collar workers can pound with the best of them! Egos, and how they have lived their lives overall and how close they are with their blue collar friends play a role as well.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
I don't think that really represents a scientific sampling. I've met incredibly smart and well-read blue-collar guys, and I've met incredibly stupid white collar guys.

But that's a far cry from saying that one group is more interesting than the other, because I've met plenty of blue-collar guys who are dumber than dirt. No, dumber than a box of hair. So dumb that you wonder how they manage to navigate to work every morning. So dumb that you're afraid to send them out in the rain for fear that they will drown while looking up at the raindrops like so many domesticated turkeys. In fact, I'd contend that the bell curve for intelligence for blue-collar guys vs. white collar guys shows that the white collar guys are, on the whole, going to be significantly smarter.

Meanwhile, white-collar guys can be just as fun. there's really no objective way to measure that.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 20,712 times
"and their lives rotate around their children" .... and that's a bad thing yea? Do you have any kids? How about your blue collar buddies, do they have kids or do they just ignore them?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpaddyandy View Post
"and their lives rotate around their children" .... and that's a bad thing yea? Do you have any kids? How about your blue collar buddies, do they have kids or do they just ignore them?
There is no doubt often a divide among males, Especially ones who have been friends for a long time and some marry and have families while ones that don't at that point may have a hard time understanding that time and life situations shift. I think the OP may be referring to this. One's family and children must be a priority. Going out every weekend and raising hell does not fit in anymore. Sure, it's great to wake up in a dumpster in Bangkok when young and live to tell about it. But as we age, The risks increase. it becomes less relevant.

And once in the mid-30's, it's not appealing at all for most in general.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I've thought this before. I guess if we answer, we all are self-selecting one group or another! Based on profession, I am white-collar. At the risk of sounding prejudicial, though , "I have lots of blue-collar friends," and I have a LOT of fun with them.

Overall, the blue-collar crowd seems easier to please. When we go out, even mixed with white-collar folks, they are more welcoming to newcomers to the group. Not as much complaining about food or accommodations. Just happy to be there!

I wonder if it comes from a "leaving work at work" attitude? Once you clock out, you are done thinking about work, whereas my white-collar friends are thinking and talking about work or trying to impress each other about work.

I think the "kids" comment means using your kids and their accomplishments as your social capital, or just talking about them nonstop.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,334 times
Wow. I just tried to think of the blue-collar people I hang out with, and I can't think of any. I don't mean to not hang out with any; it is just I either work with most of my friends or went to college with them. I am sure there are interesting people in either group, and I really don't think it would matter that much. If that sounds hypocritical, I don't mean to. I would have to go out and try to meet some blue-collar friends, and they would probably think THAT was weird.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM

242 posts, read 355,400 times
I was waiting on a reply like this. Of all of the replies, this is the one that's on par with what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I've thought this before. I guess if we answer, we all are self-selecting one group or another! Based on profession, I am white-collar. At the risk of sounding prejudicial, though , "I have lots of blue-collar friends," and I have a LOT of fun with them.

Overall, the blue-collar crowd seems easier to please. When we go out, even mixed with white-collar folks, they are more welcoming to newcomers to the group. Not as much complaining about food or accommodations. Just happy to be there!

I wonder if it comes from a "leaving work at work" attitude? Once you clock out, you are done thinking about work, whereas my white-collar friends are thinking and talking about work or trying to impress each other about work.

I think the "kids" comment means using your kids and their accomplishments as your social capital, or just talking about them nonstop.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I was waiting on a reply like this. Of all of the replies, this is the one that's on par with what I am talking about.

Here's an alternative idea. Find some interesting white collar buds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships