Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No, I don't think it is just the attitude of men. Don't you like being around attractive people whether they are men or women? We all are drawn to good looking people whether we admit it or not. As far as why women are jealous, it is competition. The world runs on competition whether it is for better things, looks, more education, better jobs...etc.
I used to get jealous of very attractive women, and for me it had to do with the fact that they simply got treated better than homely or ugly women. They got better service at restaurants, offered jobs they were in no way qualified for, received discounts and free items and of course were treated better by men in general. Many of my girlfriends are very very attractive and I've actually had bartenders and servers completely ignore me while taking their orders and then walking away several times. That stuff gets noticed.

One of my favorites was when I broke my foot and was in a temporary cast and there wasn't an available seat on the subway so I had to stand. The minute an attractive woman stepped on the subway, however, 2 men immediately jumped up and offered her a seat. They wouldn't offer a seat to the injured woman who was having obvious trouble standing up on a broken foot, but jumped at the chance to give their seat up to a pretty woman with no issues.

Thus is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I used to get jealous of very attractive women, and for me it had to do with the fact that they simply got treated better than homely or ugly women. They got better service at restaurants, offered jobs they were in no way qualified for, received discounts and free items and of course were treated better by men in general. Many of my girlfriends are very very attractive and I've actually had bartenders and servers completely ignore me while taking their orders and then walking away several times. That stuff gets noticed.

One of my favorites was when I broke my foot and was in a temporary cast and there wasn't an available seat on the subway so I had to stand. The minute an attractive woman stepped on the subway, however, 2 men immediately jumped up and offered her a seat. They wouldn't offer a seat to the injured woman who was having obvious trouble standing up on a broken foot, but jumped at the chance to give their seat up to a pretty woman with no issues.

Thus is life.
My mother, who was a gorgeous young woman and is still beautiful, says that stuff is just fluff. She says that if you are a bi&&& or stuck on yourself people will figure it out and avoid you. I believe she is right. The wrapping paper might get someone noticed but what's inside keeps people coming back.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Thus is life.
And that sucks! But I do know the feeling especially about being ignored when I am with more beautiful friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
My mother, who was a gorgeous young woman and is still beautiful, says that stuff is just fluff. She says that if you are a bi&&& or stuck on yourself people will figure it out and avoid you. I believe she is right. The wrapping paper might get someone noticed but what's inside keeps people coming back.
I agree. I suspect that anyone who focuses on how well they are treated by strangers, does not know how to have meaningful relationships.

I am pretty sure I may get feelings of jealousness for an instant but I immediately turn to complimenting and it seems to take it all away. I have to admit that one way I try to teach my daughter to avoid appearing jealous is to start teaching her when and how to compliment from a very early age because it works for me. It seems to work for her because she says it and everyone is happy.

Last edited by elyn02; 11-12-2013 at 04:37 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
"...another thing that happens to you is women make you lie to them, 'no other woman look good but your woman'" @6:10 on the video.

SiNbAd: Brain Damaged (Part 5) - YouTube

Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
A lot of people can look drop dead gorgeous....until they open their mouths.

I don't care what someone else looks like. If they are hot, good for them. What difference does it make in my life? I don't go around getting all jealous and catty over someone's looks, that's just stupid. Got my own life to be worrying about. Why do men think that all women act like this? We don't. I'm comfortable with the way I look. I can hold my own. Not even worried about any other women looking better than me. There will always be women who look way better than me, and those who look worse than me. It doesn't matter, in the end. What matters is if they are nice people.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
Men get jealous of other men too, I use to run into guys all the time trying to tell me how Im not as tough as I think I am and act like I was a threat and challenging me to a fight, just because of my looks, I never argue with anybody, they do all the talking

because they know your their competition to get other women

very similiar to how a male dog is aggressive towards other male dogs because of territory or threat of attracting the females

Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIpromiseyou View Post
I'm not trying to sound conceited, but I feel like women don't like me and always give me dirty looks when I'm out and about because they don't like that I'm pretty.
It probably doesn't have anything to do with your looks but is about your personality.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 AM

269 posts, read 371,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am pretty sure I may get feelings of jealousness for an instant but I immediately turn to complimenting and it seems to take it all away. I have to admit that one way I try to teach my daughter to avoid appearing jealous is to start teaching her when and how to compliment from a very early age because it works for me. It seems to work for her because she says it and everyone is happy.
Why even have feelings of jealousy for an instant? Many of the women on this thread have said they don't feel threatened by better looking women, but when they work with them and see them every day I think it could be different. I currently work with an older woman and lately her true colours have been coming out towards me. She doesn't act this way to any of the men.

But anyway I am glad to hear you are teaching your daughter well. I wish all women would be more supportive of each other, particularly in male dominated workplaces but sadly my experience has been otherwise.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
it probably doesn't have anything to do with your looks but is about your personality.
lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:04 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Yeah,well apparently attractive women get jealous of ugly women too.
Let me explain...I'm ugly and don't dress up,but as soon as I do and men start noticing me for a change,guess who gets jealous? The pretty ones.
They don't nayone to take away their shine.

Men get jealous of women too,believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships