Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

the title is self-explanatory.

Right now, I'm trying to stay positive and motivating and include everyone but its not working. Basically we have one person who is a free-rider and doesn't do squat. He's ruining the vibe of the rest of the group. I've noticed other people feeling frustrated and putting in less effort because they feel like they're pulling too much weight. This creates a domino effect where now 2 other people are doing less and being less communicative. In reality, it's one person's laziness that's ruining it for the group. I don't want to gang up on that person but I dont understand how we can turn this around without embarrassing that guy.

lately ive picked up the slack and have stepped up but Im quickly becoming annoyed and my patience is running thin. I've tried leading by example by showing up on time and doing good work, but that seems to be taken for granted.

I'm really tempted to abandon the project and disappear and see who they fare for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 03:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Everyone should have a specific task that they are in charge of, and there also needs to be a leader that is occasionally checking in and making sure everyone is staying on task and setting completion goals. If one person is being a problem, you can always notify your professor, or CC them on any group communication so that they see who is actually putting effort into the project.

I've had classes where at the end of a group project, we had to write an evaluation on each group member and state exactly what they contributed to the group. This only works though if everyone in your group is completely honest. I'm in a class right now, were we do all of our work using Google docs/slides. That way the instructor can go into our documents and presentations and specifically see the contributions of each group member.

Its obnoxious that some group members have to be babysat like that in order to do their work, but that is just how some people are.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
OP what is your goal? To be successful, or to punish the slacker?
The group, I assume, will be graded according to the finished product. Make the finished product the best you can.
Can you talk to your professor, or will that just make you look bad?

Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OP what is your goal? To be successful, or to punish the slacker?
The group, I assume, will be graded according to the finished product. Make the finished product the best you can.
Can you talk to your professor, or will that just make you look bad?
Goal is to be successful. I'm apathetic about the slacker, but have noticed how his behavior is contaminating the rest of the group. It's like the saying, "one bad apple spoils the bunch"

The project is large/complicated and requires constant effort and focus daily. but I'd rather just do the majority of it by myself rather than keep waiting on bits and pieces from others in hopes of producing some fragmented lackluster end product. Dealing with the group politics and shenanigans actually takes away from my time in doing the project if that makes sense.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Everyone should have a specific task that they are in charge of, and there also needs to be a leader that is occasionally checking in and making sure everyone is staying on task and setting completion goals. If one person is being a problem, you can always notify your professor, or CC them on any group communication so that they see who is actually putting effort into the project.

I've had classes where at the end of a group project, we had to write an evaluation on each group member and state exactly what they contributed to the group. This only works though if everyone in your group is completely honest. I'm in a class right now, were we do all of our work using Google docs/slides. That way the instructor can go into our documents and presentations and specifically see the contributions of each group member.

Its obnoxious that some group members have to be babysat like that in order to do their work, but that is just how some people are.
We have evaluations too, and im planning on being very honest. : /

I've actually tried pulling the free-rider aside 2 times and just chatting with him in a friendly non-confrontational way. I made it about the group and talked about what all we needed to get things done just so he could feel included and aware (sometimes it seems like he has no clue what's going on). He was very chatty and enthusiastic during our one-on-one chat. And I asked him to specifically complete 3 tasks which he happily agreed to. During our group meeting when it came time for his part, I gently asked if he could present us the the information from his research to which he responded with a silent nod and glazed look. he had a scattered set of notes about his tasks but was unable to articulate his findings and we had to complete his part with our own understandings which was a complete waste of time.

Im on the verge of giving up on the group tbh.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsychick View Post
the title is self-explanatory.

Right now, I'm trying to stay positive and motivating and include everyone but its not working. Basically we have one person who is a free-rider and doesn't do squat. He's ruining the vibe of the rest of the group. I've noticed other people feeling frustrated and putting in less effort because they feel like they're pulling too much weight. This creates a domino effect where now 2 other people are doing less and being less communicative. In reality, it's one person's laziness that's ruining it for the group. I don't want to gang up on that person but I dont understand how we can turn this around without embarrassing that guy.

lately ive picked up the slack and have stepped up but Im quickly becoming annoyed and my patience is running thin. I've tried leading by example by showing up on time and doing good work, but that seems to be taken for granted.

I'm really tempted to abandon the project and disappear and see who they fare for a while.
The project might be a group project, but I'm betting the grade is individual. What is the end goal? For everyone to work together or for you to get a good grade? Do what needs to be done for you to get a good grade. In a couple of weeks the semester will be over and you never have to work with them again.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:

I've actually tried pulling the free-rider aside 2 times and just chatting with him in a friendly non-confrontational way. I made it about the group and talked about what all we needed to get things done just so he could feel included and aware (sometimes it seems like he has no clue what's going on). He was very chatty and enthusiastic during our one-on-one chat. And I asked him to specifically complete 3 tasks which he happily agreed to. During our group meeting when it came time for his part, I gently asked if he could present us the the information from his research to which he responded with a silent nod and glazed look. he had a scattered set of notes about his tasks but was unable to articulate his findings and we had to complete his part with our own understandings which was a complete waste of time.

The very chatty and enthusiastic combined with non productive behavior seems a quick lesson in people who either are not prepared nor ready for college, or should not be in college, or just plain lazy.

I feel your pain. I had one of these in graduate school. Basically from an educational perspective you want to insure the 'group' component of the grading is not weighted too heavily and that you can impact your grade yourself based upon your contribution to the projects outcomes.

Remember and prepare yourself from this experience, as you will likely encounter this type of individual in the work environment - hopefully very few..

It reminds me of one of those counterintuitive adages rather than the 'feel good' type.
"United We Stand but divided we stand taller because none are leaning"

Leaners are best weaned by 'souring' the milk.

Good luck in your studies!

Last edited by ciceropolo; 04-05-2017 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:

I bet he was.

He probably thinks you like him. Lol!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Too late now, maybe not, but in the future with a team/group project, it's best to discuss team norms and expectations before starting the project.

You might be able to salvage it now by calling a group meeting, do it via Skype if needed, to discuss what remains to be done, deadlines, etc. as a team.

If you're feeling this others are too.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:15 PM

199 posts, read 130,891 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships