Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 02:45 PM

347 posts, read 425,268 times

Advertisements

How long do you keep someone's (friend, former co-worker, ect) number in your phone when they don't write back?

For example, I had this acquaintance who used to like to book meet-ups 3-4 weeks in advance, then cancel. Sometimes she wouldn't write me back for 6 weeks at a time. I found this behavior ridiculous and I can take a hint...so I've deleted her.

Two weeks ago, I reached out via text to a former co-worker to see how he's been since we all got laid off. When I didn't hear back from him in a week, I deleted his number. Today, two weeks after sending the text he blows up my phone via text and gets butt hurt that I've deleted his number.

I'm used to flaky people and have no room for them in my life. What's your time frame for keeping someone's number in your phone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:47 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
How long do you keep someone's (friend, former co-worker, ect) number in your phone when they don't write back?

For example, I had this acquaintance who used to like to book meet-ups 3-4 weeks in advance, then cancel. Sometimes she wouldn't write me back for 6 weeks at a time. I found this behavior ridiculous and I can take a hint...so I've deleted her.

Two weeks ago, I reached out via text to a former co-worker to see how he's been since we all got laid off. When I didn't hear back from him in a week, I deleted his number. Today, two weeks after sending the text he blows up my phone via text and gets butt hurt that I've deleted his number.

I'm used to flaky people and have no room for them in my life. What's your time frame for keeping someone's number in your phone?
A couple of months or six weeks and then I delete it. Usually I forget it is there and then notice it in my contacts.. Recently I deleted a couple as they hadn't contacted me in months. I've tried recontacting these people and they just ignore. What is the point anyway.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:09 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Wait...how did he know you deleted his number?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:14 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I don't delete numbers. If someone calls me out of the blue years after I've last talked to them, I want to know who's trying to reach me.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
I dont delete numbers.. I tend to get over it if they ignore me.. It is what it is.. Only time I didnt have a saved number was because I switched phones

Old 10-16-2014, 04:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
Quote:

First person, I can understand. Six months of that and someone like that is out of my friend rotation.

Your former co-worker? Not so much. If he was laid off, he has more on his mind than texting, like putting food on the table and paying his bills. And why even tell him that you deleted his number? Seems kind of petty and mean-spirited.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:57 PM

347 posts, read 425,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Wait...how did he know you deleted his number?
Me (2 weeks ago): Hey, how's everything? Just wanted to say hi.

Former Co-worker (yesterday, from number I didn't recognize): I'm in class and working
(Since I didn't recognize the number, I didn't respond)

Former Co-worker (today): ????????
Former Co-worker (today): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Former Co-worker (today):

Me (today): Who is this?

Former Co-worker (today): Seriously?
Former Co-worker (today): Jesus?!
Former Co-worker (today): Really? Good God!

Me (today): Seriously, I don't keep people's numbers who don't text back within a week. I have no idea who this is.

Then he told me it was him and he was doing well....told him I was happy to hear.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,936,385 times
The only numbers in my phone are my wife, daughter and mom, I don't call many other people but those I do I know their numbers by memory.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
From what you posted it doesn't appear that he is too hurt over you not knowing it was him.
If you are going to delete numbers in a very short period of time why do you even take the time to save them on the phone?

Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 PM

336 posts, read 589,517 times
Quote:
Me (2 weeks ago): Hey, how's everything? Just wanted to say hi.

Former Co-worker (yesterday, from number I didn't recognize): I'm in class and working
(Since I didn't recognize the number, I didn't respond)

Former Co-worker (today): ????????
Former Co-worker (today): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Former Co-worker (today):

Me (today): Who is this?

Former Co-worker (today): Seriously?
Former Co-worker (today): Jesus?!
Former Co-worker (today): Really? Good God!

Me (today): Seriously, I don't keep people's numbers who don't text back within a week. I have no idea who this is.

Then he told me it was him and he was doing well....told him I was happy to hear.
Some people take a while to respond because of things out of their control or due to not being in situations where they can send a text.

I've had people take weeks to reply, but I've always kept their numbers in my phone. With the whole phonebook synchronization these days, it's easier to just keep someone's number in your phone and occasionally update it when they get new numbers.

If I deleted people's numbers after not hearing back for a week, I'd be sending people the wrong message. I've had close friends who got the text and read it, but didn't have time to text back. We did talk on Facebook and in other ways, so it was fine with me since we had an understanding.

These days, we have more than enough memory in our phones to keep everyone's numbers. We can name them anything we want and just choose to not call or text. Whenever I synchronize with Google, it tells me I have 500+ contacts, but I don't think that's too many. It's easy enough to search for people if I need to contact them. It also keeps me from freaking out about random numbers contacting me if I can see who it is immediately. I've had numbers on my phone with the title "Do Not Pickup" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships