Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM

17 posts, read 72,115 times

Advertisements

Have u ever wonder that no matter how many people you meet, or people that you know in the past that you will never have anything in common with them? Does that affect you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,092,464 times
My husband's job relocated us to a different state. I love change and was looking forward to the adventure. Finding something in common with people wasnt really hard for me for me in the past. I have a lot of interests, however here I am 6 yrs later and haven't found one person that I have something in common with. It wasnt as easy as I thought it would be.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,038,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
Have u ever wonder that no matter how many people you meet, or people that you know in the past that you will never have anything in common with them? Does that affect you?
If you actually talk to people you will find common ground somewhere in the convo...most people just want to get by as best they can so imho we all have that in common.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,504,979 times
The older I get, the less I have in common with folks. I don't see it as a bad thing. I have less quantity but more quality people in my life. The downside to striving to be likeable to the masses is that is that you sacrifice a great deal of your integrity and beliefs in order to be accepted. That doesn't mean I want them to do this for me. I just stick to what I believe in and those who share the same core values.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM

3,638 posts, read 3,757,545 times
My areas of true interests are quite narrow. Years ago, like 30 years ago, I was rather isolated and didn't make any effort to be around people who didn't share my interests. That was fine, then.

For the last 10 years, I have made an effort to be more conversational and be in the presence of others, simply for the sake of expanded knowledge and experience. I've learned a lot and become more tolerant and understanding of other people. I even find their primary focus to be interesting.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,342,145 times
Quote:
Whether or not we do have things in common, it often doesn't feel/seem as if we do.
I have narrow specific interests & don't share in caring about a lot of what is popular with other folks.
Am pretty isolated, still looking for people with whom I have enthusiasms & tolerances in common.
It's more difficult bc. I live far from population centers, but am very attached to where I live, so things are rather at an impasse.
Of course it affects me...as it would most anyone.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,693,758 times
Quote:

No, I have never wondered that particular thing.

I ALWAYS have something in common with EVERYbody. It may very well be that we have so little in common, that I have to imagine myself somewhere else, whenever I'm in the same location as that person, but that's beside the point.

The older I get though, the less people I find who have many things in common with me. As we get older, we veer off into many different sidepaths. We develop new skills, new passions, new hobbies and a caution of people who remind us of someone we've met before. That can make it even more difficult to let people in, in order to explore for that common ground.

The thing of it is, you don't have to have a great many things in common. Perhaps you should develop other interests and associate with people who do the things you'd like to do. You don't have to have everything in common with someone, in order to spend time with them.

One thing to take into consideration too?....is that you may have been exposed to people exactly like you, and you were repelled by them, because certain things bugged you about them. Upon closer inspection....you don't like that person, because they have exactly the same traits as the very things you hate most about yourself.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,474,128 times
i am a tomboy, always have been, always will be. i don't have kids, never wanted them, have no interest in being around them either. between those 2, i have a hard time socializing with other females. the very small amount of true female friends that i do have, are all like me. i enjoy being around them & doing the same things they are doing.

as i get older, i find more females that are child-less, so socializing isn't nearly as painful as it used to be.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,626,235 times
I have always felt that I don't have nothing in common with others. I have something in common with everyone. We are all humans, we all suffer, we all feel joy and fear, we all have hopes, we all contemplate the mystery of life and death. Therefore I know that there is no one I do not have at least one thing in common with.

That's what you really meant, right? I only read your post title...

Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM

865 posts, read 1,480,349 times
At a minimum you have this: We are all human (contrary to the beliefs of all these zombie apocolpyse fans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships