U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,107,653 times

Advertisements

To the OP and others like her:
Attached Thumbnails
Rant about depressed people in my life and how can I cope with all of my girl friends being weak depressed losers?-o-robot-hugs-570.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 7,831,104 times
"weak depressed losers"

I'm sorry, but LOL.
That's quite a description.

I have a friend that I find to be somewhat weak and often depressed, but wouldn't go so far as to call her a loser.

She's educated, has masters degree, is relatively attractive, but she is recently out of work... and is clingy and can be annoying and I think weak sometimes, but def not a loser.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 AM

457 posts, read 787,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You can choose to be happy for sure. I do it every day. I have a tendency towards depression, so for me it is a very conscious decision. But it's not easy at all.

You CAN take control of the conversation. Ask the depressed person what they're doing to change their situation. If they say nothing and keep going down the same tracks, say you've already given the your feedback and don't know how to help them further. Then change the subject.

I tend to practice a version of clicker training with people who are relentlessly depressed. I respond neutrally to negativity with comments like "Wow." "I see." Etc. I don't make eye contact. When they say something remotely positive, I immediately engage with them enthusiastically and ask them questions about whatever it was they were talking about or what their opinion is about it, etc. I have actually seen this work. It's kind of a fun experiment too

Consider also that you seek out depressed people because they represent normalcy (however dismal) to you. Maybe make a conscious effort to seek out happy people (which is what I do).
I am laughing SO HARD at this right now....only because I've started doing the exact same thing with a friend who constantly has a lot of "self inflicted" drama going on, and is ALWAYS whining and complaining to me about it.

I honestly didn't even realize I was using the dog training approach with her until my boyfriend pointed it out to me after a comment I made about ignoring her "annoying behavior." He told me that she wasn't a dog, lol. Wellllllll.....I discovered that IT WORKS ON PEOPLE TOO!!! Our relationship is getting much better because of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships