Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times

Advertisements

Over all the friendship is great with mutual respect. But a few times she has gotten very angry
when I set a boundary that was reasonable and important to me . She always sees these situations as me being unreasonable and controlling and her the victim.

These were clear reasonable boundaries that were respectfully conveyed to her.

I can let it go because it doesn't happen often and I do not give in to her angry reactions.
But I am wondering if there is any way to discuss it with her and help her see
her habit of doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:21 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
You told her but she's still upset by your boundaries? I don't know she'll be receptive to your bringing it up...do you think she's hurt as opposed to angry??
Your decision is about you more than about her...perhaps you can let her know this. There's not something she's wrong about, she just needs to learn your
basic needs...

Just stick to your guns.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,194,104 times
What is the boundary she is objecting to?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
What is the boundary she is objecting to?
It is no one big thing or we would have to resolve it in order for me to spend time with her.
Just things over the years..

One time she was texting while driving and I asked her to stop that it was scaring me.
She ignored my repeated requests and then got really angry and screamed at me, saying that I was nagging her.
She did stop texting because I told her to let me out of the car if she wanted to continue.
Years later she still sees that whole incident as me nagging and being controlling.
To me it is clearly a boundary that I do not ride with anyone that I think is driving dangerous.
If she wanted to keep texting and driving that was fine, but it wasn't going to be with me in the car with her.
I never got angry, I just did not give in to her.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
It is no one big thing or we would have to resolve it in order for me to spend time with her.

One time she was texting while driving and I asked her to stop that it was scaring me.
She ignored my repeated requests and then got really angry and screamed at me, saying that I was nagging her.
She did stop texting because I told her to let me out of the car if she wanted to continue.
Years later she still sees that whole incident as me nagging and being controlling.
To me it is clearly a boundary that I do not ride with anyone that I think is driving dangerous.
If she wanted to keep texting and driving that was fine, but it wasn't going to be with me in the car with her.
Texting and driving is illegal and highly dangerous. If she is too selfish or uncaring to see that, she's not someone you really want to have as a friend. The fact that she got mad at you for refusing to allow it when you were in the car shows that she thinks her texting is more important than your life. (Not to mention, does she think that you are so boring that she'd rather text someone else when she's with you?)

Eventually this person is going to pay the price for her actions. If she's lucky, it'll just be a traffic ticket. But it could be a whole lot worse. Don't let yourself be caught with her when it does happen.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times
Sounds like a spoiled 3,4,5 year old whose parents...well, spoil her and she wants to do what she wants. She doesn't see risk, propriety, danger as they are.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Quote:

Hum not sure talking to her will work because she would I imagine get defensive and then cycle back to being a victim. The texting while driving is an example of deflecting her defensive umbrage onto you as being the bad person. I’d say if for the most part you enjoy her friendship then standing firm on your boundaries and your approach is a good one. On the other hand if something came up and she doesn’t like a boundary you could state that she seems to get angry But as her friend you want to help her and you maintain a kind, compassionate friendship. Even if your boundaries or she has boundaries that seem stupid the end goal is you want to make sure each other are comfortable, and for example stopping texting doesn’t cost anything but continuing to text would cost the loss of a good friendship and you don’t want that to happen.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Texting and driving is illegal and highly dangerous. If she is too selfish or uncaring to see that, she's not someone you really want to have as a friend. The fact that she got mad at you for refusing to allow it when you were in the car shows that she thinks her texting is more important than your life. (Not to mention, does she think that you are so boring that she'd rather text someone else when she's with you?)

Eventually this person is going to pay the price for her actions. If she's lucky, it'll just be a traffic ticket. But it could be a whole lot worse. Don't let yourself be caught with her when it does happen.
I know it's dangerous. She actually tried to tell me that it is the same as glancing at her rear view mirrors.

But I don't want to get bogged down with the details of each incident. Other examples are not safety
related but still clearly boundaries that she tries to push past or ignore and gets mad when I do not allow that.

The friendship is important to me and I do not want to end it because of these incidents at this time.
But I do wonder if it would help her to have a 'boundaries" talk and try to get her to see what she does.

Maybe the best thing to do is to wait and see if it occurs again and then have that talk.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Hum not sure talking to her will work because she would I imagine get defensive and then cycle back to being a victim. The texting while driving is an example of deflecting her defensive umbrage onto you as being the bad person. I’d say if for the most part you enjoy her friendship then standing firm on your boundaries and your approach is a good one. On the other hand if something came up and she doesn’t like a boundary you could state that she seems to get angry But as her friend you want to help her and you maintain a kind, compassionate friendship. Even if your boundaries or she has boundaries that seem stupid the end goal is you want to make sure each other are comfortable, and for example stopping texting doesn’t cost anything but continuing to text would cost the loss of a good friendship and you don’t want that to happen.
Great input, Thanks

Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:

The bolded part.

You need to look at yourself and ask why do you put up with her behavior?

If someone pulled that with me years ago I would have started to question the friendship and most likely started distancing myself. She put your life, hers, and other drivers at risk, in addition to being unreasonable.

Yet years later you're still having issues with this person and you tolerate their behavior.

Sometimes we have to part ways with some people, even after years of friendship when you realize it's one sided, there is too much drama, or in this case lack of mutual respect.

She isn't going to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships