Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM

61 posts, read 102,678 times

Advertisements

I'm tryin to make new friends. My current friends are either married w/ kids, in a relationships, or they are out doing drugs, or getting drunk. Since i'm not married w/ kids, or i don't do drugs, i don't have nobody to hang with. Where is the best place to make friends? I tried several places, but no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,895,772 times
I find best place is work, work affinity groups

Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,913,805 times
Find groups in your town who do cool stuff - whatever you consider "cool stuff" to be. Examples:

Do a google search with the name of your town and gardening (or whatever). Start showing up at the Garden club's meetings. Volunteer for a good cause. Sign up for a fitness club and go in regularly to work out (and check out the hotties ). Hit the coffee shop scene on open mike nites and strike up a conversation about the music scene with someone who seems interesting.

If you're a woman and you'd like to meet a new man, start going to Trout Unlimited meetings - even if you've never fished once before in your life. You want to learn, right? Especially when that cute guy offers to show you how. TU members are mostly guys and they tend to be much more authentic than some guy you meet doing the bar and nightclub routine. If you're a guy who likes to fish, Trout Unlimited is a great place to find fishing partners.

If you have a dog, take him to the local dog park at around the same time 3 or 4 or 5 times a week. Chat with the other dog owners while your pooch makes some new friends of his own.

Pick stuff that you really like to do, even if you weren't trying to meet new people.

Whatever you choose, you have to show up consistently so you can scope out the regulars and they can scope out you. Don't expect to meet your new BFF on your very first try - although you might.

Use your imagination and be open to new experiences. Find people you truly consider to be interesting and strike up a conversation. Ask them questions about themselves.

Don't give in to the urge to just stay home and watch videos. Get outside. It's summer and everyone is outside. Your new friends may be out there too, shooting hoops down at your local park.

Get the idea?

Best of luck,
- Rambler

Have fun with new pals!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,935,415 times
You've gotten some good advice here.

I would also google MeetUp. Sometimes there will be groups in your area doing things that interest you. You could also look into environmental groups, some towns have river cleanup days.

There are Conversation Cafes and Socrates Cafes in various towns. Google those if you like conversations.

Check out bulletin boards in the library for interesting things, or sometimes health food stores have bulletin boards where meetings are posted. Book stores sometimes have group lectures after work. Community colleges have adult ed courses that are sometimes fun.

For me, I like groups where we meet a lot of times and I can see people's opinions and sort of personal styles. After a lot of time, I may ask someone or be asked to meet for a personal conversation. Don't rush things or expect an overnight success. The best things often take time.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,296,770 times
Women also have GirlfriendCircles.com, which will introduce you to women in your area and age group. I don't think there is anything like it for men.

Volunteer at an animal rescue, go to Meetups, find a political campaign that you are really interested in, take some classes, especially non-credit for fun classes offered at community colleges and local schools.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I'm tryin to make new friends. My current friends are either married w/ kids, in a relationships, or they are out doing drugs, or getting drunk. Since i'm not married w/ kids, or i don't do drugs, i don't have nobody to hang with. Where is the best place to make friends? I tried several places, but no luck.
Sit down and make a list of the things that interest you. What hobbies or activities you do if you have time.
I'm suggesting this because there are sometimes ways to get involved by either joining groups of others that have similar interests, or volunteering or both.

For example. Say You like to bowl. Check your local bowling lanes and find out if there are groups, co-ed or whatever and find out how to join.

check your local parks and rec dept. and check on co-ed volleyball, softball...whatever your sports interests are.

If you work, and there are people that are decent, invite someone out for coffee, or a movie...Girls or Guy...either, the object is to make friends.

With the internet, and facebook etc...maybe there are some folks you knew earlier in your life. Reconnect perhaps...Making friends does take a bit of time, be patient.

You mention lots of your friends drink....maybe check out the non-drinking opportunities in your area...local theatre groups, again, whatever your interest is...and see if there are opportunities for you to attend, or help out w/ events.

Lastly....there is always also volunteering in your community. If you are someone that wants to help others, habitat for humanity is a good one....lots of young folks and they are caring usually...a plus.

Hope some of these suggestions give you some ideas. Good luck on this. And, be sure and update please.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM

23,967 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:

Just a wild guess. You need more education. Get your GED. Or if you have a HS diploma, find a local community college and enroll.

Learn how to speak, write and read well. Be around others who want those things.

You need new friends and an education. Pursue the education first and give it all you have. The friends will follow,

Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 AM

61 posts, read 102,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Just a wild guess. You need more education. Get your GED. Or if you have a HS diploma, find a local community college and enroll.

Learn how to speak, write and read well. Be around others who want those things.

You need new friends and an education. Pursue the education first and give it all you have. The friends will follow,
Why is my education is a concern to you? Just answer the question!!! I'm in college now and majoring in Radiology. So My education is no concern to you. You seem like a very arrogant person.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sit down and make a list of the things that interest you. What hobbies or activities you do if you have time.
I'm suggesting this because there are sometimes ways to get involved by either joining groups of others that have similar interests, or volunteering or both.

For example. Say You like to bowl. Check your local bowling lanes and find out if there are groups, co-ed or whatever and find out how to join.

check your local parks and rec dept. and check on co-ed volleyball, softball...whatever your sports interests are.

If you work, and there are people that are decent, invite someone out for coffee, or a movie...Girls or Guy...either, the object is to make friends.

With the internet, and facebook etc...maybe there are some folks you knew earlier in your life. Reconnect perhaps...Making friends does take a bit of time, be patient.

You mention lots of your friends drink....maybe check out the non-drinking opportunities in your area...local theatre groups, again, whatever your interest is...and see if there are opportunities for you to attend, or help out w/ events.

Lastly....there is always also volunteering in your community. If you are someone that wants to help others, habitat for humanity is a good one....lots of young folks and they are caring usually...a plus.

Hope some of these suggestions give you some ideas. Good luck on this. And, be sure and update please.
Great ideas.
It is hard for (almost) everyone to make friends so hang in there and keep on trying.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM

936 posts, read 2,057,111 times
Quote:
I applaud your ambition for trying to make new friends. The last time I tried to make one, I tried using this kit I bought. I think it was by Ronco or something. Anyways, it was missing a couple of pieces--fingers, an ear...little pieces like that. Nothing big like bones or the face or anything. It took a long time to paint all the parts, and then the epoxy didn't want to set right. It took three tries before the hair would stay on the head. I tried to find replacement parts online, you know, for the missing pieces, and they had them on Craigslist, but the guy wanted too much. Whatever you do, don't try to get spare friend parts in the graveyard. They're always a bit rotten, and once that smell gets in your upholstery, you never really get it out. Plus the graveyard people don't like it too much--makes a lot of extra work for them, I guess, filling in the holes you dug. In the end it was just a mess.

Anyways, good luck making your friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships