Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times

Advertisements

The woman who has cuts my hair for fifteen years is a good-looking, brassy spitfire who has no filter between her brain and her mouth. What forms in her skull comes spilling out. She's the kind of person who just volunteers, "You know what I need? A good screwing, that's what! My husband just isn't living up to his responsibilities." I mean, she says stuff like that all the time, which I duly report to my wife. So there's no way I'm telling her anything about my personal life that I wouldn't want half our suburb to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,020,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The first time this happened I just chalked it up to weirdness. But the second time I began to wonder. Do these service providers feel no responsibility to throwing such a curve ball into the life of someone who has been a good customer? If someone has their hair done ten times a year, it can be costing them from $250 to over $2,000 dollars depending on the level of the salon or the services rendered.

Had I treated these two poorly, I could imagine they might be grateful for an excuse to dump me. But that was far from the case — I was paying top dollar in every way. It's unlikely that either of these people made their decision on the spur of the moment. What would it have taken for them to gather up the contact info for regulars and send us a postcard notifying us that would have to make other arrangements? Needless to say, a salon whose employee has quit will never tell a customer where they went if they merely moved to another salon.

I guess it's the same as with employers today. No length of relationship requires any sensitivity when it comes time to dump the dedicated. That just tells me maybe my tips should have been smaller.
Not necessarily. The first one who quit hairdressing maybe didn't care, but the one let go? I wouldn't be surprised if they were sent out and not allowed to get their client list.

I have had the same hairstylist for at least 6 years. One time I called the salon and was told she no longer works there. I asked well where is she now? They refused to tell me. I booked an appointment with another stylist I knew at the same place, and I asked her and she LIED and told me she isn't hairdressing anymore. And when the other girl cut my hair I hated it.

Luckily I knew my stylists name so I found her on Facebook. She told me she had put in a two week notice to move to another salon, and then the next day was told to never come back and so was not able to get all her clients information in time because she thought she'd have two more weeks to get them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Since all haircuts and hair cut places are the same, I go to the cheapest place, $8 cash, Twin Peaks II in Rancho Santa Margarita. Most of the hair cut people in their are Vietnamese women. No personal relationship.

The only difference between an $8 haircut and a $28 haircut is $20.
You must be a man, no way all haircuts all the same for women! I have had stylists BUTCHER my hair. So have my friends and sister, having a good stylist cut hair for a good price is hard to fine. I pay, with tip, $42 for a haircut every 3 months. I also have curly hair, which needs more care and attention. I remember once my sister brought to some lady a haircut she wanted, the lady said she could do it. Instead of a cute and chic cut like this:

http://girlhairstyleideas.com/wp-con...gs-720x960.jpg

She got this:

http://latikaroy.org/wp-content/uplo...m1-240x300.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Amen. I just went to one of the chain hair places and at the end of the haircut they gave me a neck massage and used a big vibrating massager on my back ! All I wanted was a haircut and I felt pretty stupid sitting there with them doing all that stuff to me.
You can always decline them.

That being said I chat with my stylist and joke with her, but only things I don't care if others know. I never tell her anything very personal.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,506,427 times
I get my hair cut every 5-6 weeks. It only take about 20-25 min. to get my hair cut, so I am not there long. I am not a really talkative person to people I don't know well. I am also a very private person, so I tend to not say a whole lot. I am friendly and will answer any question they may have, but don't say a lot in general.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
i still go to an old fashioned barber- his name is ed-nicknamed edward scissorhands
mostly all guys go here, and talk about politics, golf, cars, hunting, fishing, sports
i dont share any personal info- im quite the private person

i went to a "salon" a few times years ago, and for what she charged, i should have got more than a hair cut

Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM

8,703 posts, read 11,105,735 times
why talk? It is my quiet time & I paying for it!!! I already feel obliged to talk to too many people!!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,446,548 times
Talking Love love love my hairdresser

I have been going to the same woman for about 25 years.

About 10 years ago she discovered she had diabetes and had to get off her feet, so she now does hair out of her home. A couple times she has had to be in a wheelchair under doctor's orders, so many of her customers (including me) go and sit at her feet while she works her magic, and we wash & dry our own hair.

She still only charges $25 for a cut and color since she has no overhead (although I always give her $40, and $100 at Christmas).

Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I tipped generously, gave them holiday gifts, and conversed with them when I was in the chair. At a point, both of them quit.
Do these service providers feel no responsibility to throwing such a curve ball into the life of someone who has been a good customer?
When my hairdresser quit her salon to go to work for other salons (usually following her daughter who is also a hairdresser), or when she finally quit salons entirely to work from home, she never called me because there just were too many customers in her book to call everyone.

But when I called the salon(s) to make the appointment, they each told me she where she was working.

I can "understand" where the old salon wouldn't have told you where she was since they had an argument, although it does seem silly. Everbody knows women follow their hairdresser, you're not there just for the salon's accoutrements.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Default I fail to understand this logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
She owns her business so I don't tip.
She has overhead, several types of licensing fees, insurance, taxes, etc.

A cash tip gives her money out of pocket that she doesn't have to report.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,863,194 times
<3 my hair stylist. I've been going to her for over 10years now, following her from salon to salon (not in the stalker way). Several times, I've just told her "I'm bored with my hair, do whatever you want" and it always turns out amazing... I've been going to her for so long, she knows my style and what I want. I go in for cuts about 2-3 times a year, with regular (free) bang trims in between. The rate she charges me hasn't changed in those 10yrs, so I usually tip her at least 30%. As for the personal side of things, we have a lot of friends in common and many similar interests. She knows quite a bit about my life and vice versa.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,669,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
She has overhead, several types of licensing fees, insurance, taxes, etc.

A cash tip gives her money out of pocket that she doesn't have to report.

It's not logic. It's an accepted practice in our area. You don't tip the owner. I tried to tip her when I first starting going and she refused.

I agree it's foolish. I wish she would let me pay her what she's worth. I have paid twice as much to people who didn't have half of her talent.

I always pay in cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships