Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM

22,885 posts, read 6,451,080 times

Advertisements

My husband and I go to a small, (one woman) barber shop that also cuts women's and children's hair.
We both visit with her, been going there for years, she charges $10, knows how we want our hair cut.
Of course we tip her too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,446,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
It's not logic. It's an accepted practice in our area. You don't tip the owner.
Hadn't heard of that practice, ya learn something new everyday

Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM

993 posts, read 1,563,293 times
I have a hairdresser back in my hometown that I absolutely adore. I make it a point it to see her to have my hair done whenever I'm in the area visiting my parents. She's been doing my my mom's, sister's, and my hair for nearly 15 years now, so we know each other very well.

I've lived in two different cities so far since starting college, and I haven't been able to find a hairdresser who's as good with doing my hair (it's super thick) AND is as much of a conversationalist as my hairdresser in my hometown. It usually takes a good three hours to process my hair, so a good conversationalist is kinda important.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
My last 2 hairdressers (same salon) went to HS with my daughter so our chats are superficial and light. We don't have a relationship outside the salon.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
It's not logic. It's an accepted practice in our area. You don't tip the owner. I tried to tip her when I first starting going and she refused.

I agree it's foolish. I wish she would let me pay her what she's worth. I have paid twice as much to people who didn't have half of her talent.

I always pay in cash.
My hairdresser is also the shop owner. I've heard that you aren't supposed to tip the owner BUT she's a great hairdresser, she's a friend and she doesn't charge my mom and I the regular prices. I figure it's worth it to me. She's also told both of us that if we really need a haircut or perm to just come in and get it done and pay later. Neither of us have ever done that but it's nice of her to offer.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,148,863 times
I went to the same barber from the time I was four years old until I moved away from Georgia at the age of 26. That man pretty much watched me grow up, and he always did a perfect job cutting my hair. He was always up for a good conversation too.

The relationship between a man and his barber is a very special thing.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
I go to an Asian lady for monthly haircuts and I DO tip her although she's the owner. We don't talk much which is fine with me. I had to quit my former haircutter because she never shut up . She seemed to think she was paid to entertain me. It gets old really fast.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:56 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,217,617 times
I have a fantastic relationship with my hair dresser We talk about everything and since she can do two things at the same time, she cuts my hair real well at the same time. My hair is real thick, so she does just the ends and such. I like her a lot and she doesn't constantly try to push products on me. The nice thing too, is I can squeeze into her schedule whenever I need to at the last minute.....one of these days I'll have to stop cutting my own hair.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,025,308 times
I color my hair a shade that is much, much lighter than my roots, so I am in the salon frequently. I like the hairdresser I have now a lot, she is skilled, doesn't charge as much as she probably could, and she recommends what's best for my hair's health and not what will bring in the most money. I tip well, and am friendly. It would feel extremely awkward to sit silently in the hairdresser's chair, so I make small talk. However, it's a positive business relationship, not a "personal" one.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,911,685 times
LOL...there were times in my life when getting my hair cut was the only time I got to sit down. I would be so dang tired from running around all day I couldn't muster polite conversation. Stop chatting and keep rubbing my scalp! I'm sure a great cosmetologist is like a great bartender...you have to know how to read people and adjust accordingly. You never know what they have going on in their life or what they need from you on any given day.

I also was friendly once with a great gal I adored and we got along well for about 4 years...and of course, she quit.

Now I have the perfect relationship with the gal who cuts my hair. She doesn't gossip, does the job for free, and will never quit on me. I cut my own hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships