Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,529 times

Advertisements

How about: Renters? People that buy used cars? People that use public transportation? People that can only afford to send their kids to community college? How about people that buy used clothes? People that can't afford to contribute to an IRA or 401k? People that have no stock market holdings? How about people that don't have the latest iphone? And I mean, since were being honest here, we might as well throw on the list: Blacks, Hispanics, people in wheelchairs, and anyone with an accent.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the above is sarcasm, and a lot of you on this thread sound just like that. You know who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM

769 posts, read 978,091 times
1. People who curse every other word.
2. People who go to court and NOT dress nicely. When you go to court dress decent espeically if you are in front of the judge.
3. So much make up they could rival Tammy faye baker
4. Wearing clothes that are 4 sizes to small. It doesn't matter if you are skinny or fat. Just becuase it fits doesn't mean you should wear it.

I wear clothes from thrift stores and walmart. I ride horses and will be covered with dog/horse drool.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,496,495 times
Racial slurs. Four letter words every other sentence. Tattoos. Believing in astrology or the more extravagant kinds of religion. Not being able to name the Vice President.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,432,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Calling people trash.
QFT - There is a vast difference between describing a behavior as being rude, inconsiderate, or detrimental to the life and welfare of another, and calling another person "trash." Personally, I do not judge another by their household status, where they live, what they drive, or any other superficial attribute. I may dislike a behavior, for example, spitting and the use of vulgar language in my presence, but I do not devalue the human who engages in such behaviors. If there is an issue, I either take steps to correct it, or will remove myself from the presence of such an individual. I truly dislike the use of labels to describe an entire category of people because the use of a label, based upon a behavior or superficial attribute, i.e., "trashy," ignores the dignity of the individual upon whom such labels are conferred.

Always remember that the person about whom one may have a preconceived notion, likely has a preconceived notion about you that may be equally unflattering. If one judges another, they are subject to the same level of judgment themselves; and, I wonder how many of us would welcome such scrutiny into our own lives?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Anything related to poverty or social assistance is not "trashy". I think that some people are using this thread as a place to air their own political agenda.

"Class" or lack of it (trashy behavior) has NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY. Or RACE. Or ethnicity.

I did not make this up. It isn't my opinion, it is FACT in the field of of Sociology.

So, if you think that any of the following are "trashy" you are mistaken and you are pushing your right wing political agenda.

1. RENTING is NOT TRASHY. Sorry guys, but not everyone's parents give the 25 thousand a piece for a down payment when they marry. I'm not sure what the going rate for the down payment assistance as a wedding gift is now but that was pretty common in the 1980s.
Since wealth tends to stay within families, a newly married couple you are the children of home owners will find it easier to own a home, even if a large amount of assistance is not given.

Some newly weds live in converted garages or finished basements where they can save for a house. Again that would be impossible in a rented apartment and quite possibly a rented house where landlords often restrict the amount of tenants in a building.

2. SECTION 8 is not trashy and everyone who avails themselves of this governmental program is not deserving of that label. Some people use it in the beginning of a marriage to help defray the cost of rent. This is more common than you might think in high priced areas.
They use this time to learn a trade or obtain a degree.
There is nothing wrong with needing help from the government for a few years.
Disabled people often live on section 8. Are the disabled "trashy"?

3. Using a laundromat? How on earth can that be construed as trashy? People who do not have washing machines and dryers also need clean clothes. I am sure that they would love to stop using a laundromat if they could.

I have known very classy, elegant and well educated people in each of these situations.

If some individuals abuse Section 8 or food stamps (EBT), and I am sure there are many; then we need to find out why and reform the program - NOT END IT.
One way to end abuse would be to require those receiving these programs to learn a trade and attend college. While on the program, they should refrain from having more children.

It is cruel to make fun of those who have no way to support themselves. I happen to believe that it is the responsibility of the government to help the poor to better themselves and to be able to be self sufficient.

There are so many corporations who pay people less than a minimum wage and ACTUALLY TELL THEM TO APPLY FOR FOOD STAMPS! Walmart is infamous for this. As are several Fast Food restaurants.

Why isn't anyone OUTRAGED that MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CORPORATIONS are ENCOURAGING heir employees to live off of YOUR TAX DOLLARS - when it would not hurt them at all to pay a living wage for hard work.

And why does ANYONE identify with these huge corporations and see their workers as The Enemy?

People can exhibit "Trashy behavior" at MANY LEVELS of the SOCIAL STRATA.

Try this example. If you have graduated from high school with a "C" average and you some how find yourself at YALE UNIVERSITY because your parents BOUGHT YOUR ENTRANCE - THAT is TRASHY. The Republicans are always talking about "entitled poor people".

How about "The entitled RICH"? Trust me, there are many of them.

If you are a HS grad with a "C" average you have the RIGHT to attend your local cc or a less selective school. Sorry but that's it.

Tattoos trashy? Not anymore. I know many young professionals and students who sport tattoos. I don't have one, but my pastor does as does an attorney friend. Many people in creative fields do.

Pit Bulls can not be "trashy" - they are animals not humans and they do not possess agency to improve their life or to decide what neighborhood they want to reside in.

DOG FIGHTING and DOG TORTURE is WORSE THAN TRASHY. IT"S TRASHY and SADISTIC.
As someone who has been involved with animal rescue, particularly dogs, I have fostered many pit bulls and I've adopted three of them.

Buying a Goldren Retriever or a Labrador in order to give the impression of wealth is pretentious. A living being is not an accessory.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,454,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Anything related to poverty or social assistance is not "trashy". I think that some people are using this thread as a place to air their own political agenda.

"Class" or lack of it (trashy behavior) has NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY. Or RACE. Or ethnicity.

I did not make this up. It isn't my opinion, it is FACT in the field of of Sociology.

So, if you think that any of the following are "trashy" you are mistaken and you are pushing your right wing political agenda.

1. RENTING is NOT TRASHY. Sorry guys, but not everyone's parents give the 25 thousand a piece for a down payment when they marry. I'm not sure what the going rate for the down payment assistance as a wedding gift is now but that was pretty common in the 1980s.
Since wealth tends to stay within families, a newly married couple you are the children of home owners will find it easier to own a home, even if a large amount of assistance is not given.

Some newly weds live in converted garages or finished basements where they can save for a house. Again that would be impossible in a rented apartment and quite possibly a rented house where landlords often restrict the amount of tenants in a building.

2. SECTION 8 is not trashy and everyone who avails themselves of this governmental program is not deserving of that label. Some people use it in the beginning of a marriage to help defray the cost of rent. This is more common than you might think in high priced areas.
They use this time to learn a trade or obtain a degree.
There is nothing wrong with needing help from the government for a few years.
Disabled people often live on section 8. Are the disabled "trashy"?

3. Using a laundromat? How on earth can that be construed as trashy? People who do not have washing machines and dryers also need clean clothes. I am sure that they would love to stop using a laundromat if they could.

I have known very classy, elegant and well educated people in each of these situations.

If some individuals abuse Section 8 or food stamps (EBT), and I am sure there are many; then we need to find out why and reform the program - NOT END IT.
One way to end abuse would be to require those receiving these programs to learn a trade and attend college. While on the program, they should refrain from having more children.

It is cruel to make fun of those who have no way to support themselves. I happen to believe that it is the responsibility of the government to help the poor to better themselves and to be able to be self sufficient.

There are so many corporations who pay people less than a minimum wage and ACTUALLY TELL THEM TO APPLY FOR FOOD STAMPS! Walmart is infamous for this. As are several Fast Food restaurants.

Why isn't anyone OUTRAGED that MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CORPORATIONS are ENCOURAGING heir employees to live off of YOUR TAX DOLLARS - when it would not hurt them at all to pay a living wage for hard work.

And why does ANYONE identify with these huge corporations and see their workers as The Enemy?

People can exhibit "Trashy behavior" at MANY LEVELS of the SOCIAL STRATA.

Try this example. If you have graduated from high school with a "C" average and you some how find yourself at YALE UNIVERSITY because your parents BOUGHT YOUR ENTRANCE - THAT is TRASHY. The Republicans are always talking about "entitled poor people".

How about "The entitled RICH"? Trust me, there are many of them.

If you are a HS grad with a "C" average you have the RIGHT to attend your local cc or a less selective school. Sorry but that's it.

Tattoos trashy? Not anymore. I know many young professionals and students who sport tattoos. I don't have one, but my pastor does as does an attorney friend. Many people in creative fields do.

Pit Bulls can not be "trashy" - they are animals not humans and they do not possess agency to improve their life or to decide what neighborhood they want to reside in.

As someone who has been involved with animal rescue, particularly dogs, I have fostered many pit bulls and I've adopted three of them.

Buying a Goldren Retriever or a Labrador in order to give the impression of wealth is pretentious. A living being is not an accessory.
you mad?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM

10 posts, read 11,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Anyone who speaks "black" english. Before you scream racisim, both whites and blacks do this.
How about people that don't speak English properly period? Why quantify it as 'black english' (kudos for complaining about bastardized English while ignoring some of the language's basic rules in your post ) only to quickly say you're not being racist?

Example of 'trash': throwing a rock and then hiding your hand.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM

9,190 posts, read 6,365,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be still and know View Post

Women who wears sweats with words on their butts are trashy as hell. Extra trash points for the words being in sequins...

Tan-o-rexics are trashy as all get-out. They look like Mafia wives.
Oh yes, I forgot about those two behaviors. Good catch.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,345,342 times
Quote:

As someone who has been involved with animal rescue, particularly dogs, I
have fostered many pit bulls and I've adopted three of them.
I ran an ad hoc pit bull rescue. These were dogs seized from drug dealers and were destined for the gas chamber. I rehabbed them and then found them good homes. Lovely dogs...loyal and eager to please.
I guess that makes me trash.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,454,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I ran an ad hoc pit bull rescue. These were dogs seized from drug dealers and were destined for the gas chamber. I rehabbed them and then found them good homes. Lovely dogs...loyal and eager to please.
I guess that makes me trash.
If any of those dogs were used for fighting than they should have been put down.
Rehabbing a fighting dog is more retarded than fighting it in the first place.

Accident waiting to happen. I used to work with a guy that was missing a testicle and part of a finger due to a "rehabbed" fighting dog. Of course this situation was unique in that usually those dogs just bite other dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships