Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 10:28 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Im the most happiest positive optomistic person I can think of. I get called " Smiley Smilerson" and " Mr. Optomistic" quite often.
LOL. And here you are being forced to defending your attitude the same way many of the women in this thread object to.

The irony of the direction this thread is taking is amazing.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM

460 posts, read 982,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosyneighbors View Post
Wow. Just wow.
I love men, and I HATE your attitude.
I remember when I was young I heard the "smile" demand ALL THE TIME.
As it has been said before in this thread, women are not put on this earth to answer stupid demands of random men and "be sweet".

I remember a couple of years ago I walked into a restaurant and the guy at the counter (I am quite sure he was the owner of the establishment) demanded that I smile. Oh wait, he said this after I had greeted him in a very pleasant manner...in fact I initiated the greeting. Funny thing is, he made this demand with a frown on his face. He was neither pleasant nor kind in his demeanor. I am ashamed to say that I had accepted this man's bad manners.

I am very pleased with the women on this thread who are expressing their dislike of this stupid demand, and
I appreciate their intelligent insight. I am assuming that many of them are younger than me (47yo) because I remember when I was young I lived in the midwest and every woman I knew happily put up with this crap.

Before anyone thinks that I am some "dried-up man-hating prune" (goodness how my friends would laugh at that accusation!); let me share something with you. Yesterday as a I sat happily devouring a slice of pizza, a young man approached me and said,
"Excuse me m'am, and I really mean no disrespect, but you have beautiful legs. Again, I hope this doesn't
offend you."

Offend me?! Hell NO! I appreciated this young man's polite approach, and I appreciated the compliment. Oh, and I thanked him for the compliment.
I am sure the misogynists and sexists (and clueless women) on this thread will not understand the difference.

Many of the ladies on this thread are telling you how they feel about this demand, just listen and don't criticize.
Women tend to love to get hit on by men who are confident, good-looking, and polite. The men who are bitter about women turning them down and are disrespectful elicit a different reaction from flirting with women.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,445,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Please pay close attention to what I'm about to say. It has been said countless times already throughout the course of this thread, but I'm going to say it one more time for your benefit. Ready?

TELLING A STRANGER TO SMILE ISN'T A FRIENDLY COMMENT. IT'S RUDE.

I'm just going to keep re-posting this until you guys get it.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,163,557 times
And thing is, it's not just rude, it's potentially threatening. For a guy, a woman coming up to them and telling them to smile is not such a big deal, as chances are she's much less physically threatening. As a woman, when some stranger comes up to you on the street or on the bus and asks you to smile, and gets angry when you don't acquiesce, things can get ugly very fast.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,058,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Lol seriously? What about all those hot women with bitchy faces who still get hit on all the time?
I was just relaying what he had said in class. Personally, I do find people that smile and look happy more attractive than those that don't, but that's just my opinion. And yet I would NEVER go up to an unsmiling stranger and suggest that they smile. It's really none of my business whether other people smile or not, and I don't appreciate it when total strangers do that to me.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:25 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No you oblivious momo, it was just a little taste of what you are doing here. If we disagree with you we are old, cold, antisocial *******. So likewise when you whine you become an overly sensitive girly man.

I actually don't presume to think anything about your sexuality based on your posts (hence the quotes btw) just thought you should see what it was like.

I am not irrational, I am not angry the same way you are not any of the things I put in quotes. I have done nothing more offensive than point out offensive behavior and for that you attack all the women in this thread. Amazing how you didn't like it when it was done to you.

Get it yet?
Exactly, not only did the post fly straight over his head, we saw the ever so predictable, "man hating, angry *******" rant in response.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,063,074 times
Off topic, every time I happen to be thinking about ducks, I click into a thread and the first post I see is Inebriated Duck's lol

Old 10-07-2013, 03:40 PM

2,368 posts, read 4,877,098 times
My husband tells me this all the time. He can't understand why I apparently can't go around smiling like a dental commercial.

Problem is that I'm probably frowning because he has done something/not done something that I have repeatedly asked him to not do/do! You want to know why I'm not smiling? Look in the mirror!!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
And thing is, it's not just rude, it's potentially threatening. For a guy, a woman coming up to them and telling them to smile is not such a big deal, as chances are she's much less physically threatening. As a woman, when some stranger comes up to you on the street or on the bus and asks you to smile, and gets angry when you don't acquiesce, things can get ugly very fast.
Something I find interesting is that in another thread many posters asserted that women bring rapes upon themselves by not being cautious enough around men. But then inthis thread women are cold, bitchy, man-hating, etc. if they aren't being friendly enough to strangers.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,774 times
i hate that! i once wouldn't smile and they guy started saying it saying it over and over threatening getting closer.. i was so scared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships