Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 AM

624 posts, read 941,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No because the human race has delusions of grandeur. I have no qualms about stepping over a dying person.
This isn't meant to be snarky...just reflective.

Maybe it's just how you worded this, but it could be said that your criticism of the human race hints at your own feelings of superiority/grandeur. Especially since it reads like you're virtually excluding yourself from the human race. I would say it would take a pretty delusional person to feel good about "stepping over the dying". At any rate, that really isn't the question.

Nice screen name, by the way. I like that about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
While I don't doubt everyone has at least something positive about themselves, if their actions are so repugnant to me I simply can't see the positive. For example, a child abuser or animal abuser may have nice hair, but that's not going to something I would acknowledge or even notice when all I can do is view them with disgust.
One of the biggest challenges I've faced was an invitation to do an internship with sex offenders. The organization really needed somebody but none of my classmates wanted to deal with pedophiles. As the oldest person in the class, I decided to take it on figuring my extra life experience might help me handle it. The catch is, I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I guess part of me felt this was a way of confronting my own demons.

Like anyone else, I find child molestation to be the most deplorable of acts. But since this agency dealt with people who were voluntarily seeking help, I told myself that said something about the clients. I had two pedophiles in my group of clients. At first it was all I could do to be in a room with them, but over time I learned to see them as whole people with other qualities aside from their pathology. I was glad to leave that internship, but I think it was a real lesson in being human and I am better for it. But again, I don't judge people who draw a line as to who they will try to see good in. It's a personal choice.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,703,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
This isn't meant to be snarky...just reflective.

Maybe it's just how you worded this, but it could be said that your criticism of the human race hints at your own feelings of superiority/grandeur. Especially since it reads like you're virtually excluding yourself from the human race. I would say it would take a pretty delusional person to feel good about "stepping over the dying". At any rate, that really isn't the question.

Nice screen name, by the way. I like that about you.
Where have I excluded myself? You're reading in to it what's not there.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 AM

If you can't see it in the wording, nothing I can say will bring it to light. Like I said in my original response, it was in the way your comment read...to me. It just sounded as though you were regarding everyone else as an "other" you felt no connection with.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,581,416 times
I honestly do try to find something to like in every person I encounter - but sometimes I am not successful. I keep trying for a while, and if nothing surfaces, I can easily move on.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,703,360 times
Quote:
If you can't see it in the wording, nothing I can say will bring it to light. Like I said in my original response, it was in the way your comment read...to me. It just sounded as though you were regarding everyone else as an "other" you felt no connection with.
That is true. I don't feel a connection with other people but I still recognize that I'm a member of the human race and therefore a part of the problem.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,422,867 times
Quote:
Something I learned as a social work student was no matter how much somebody angers, offends, or even disgusts you, you can find something to like about them, or at least some thread of empathy or commonality to hold onto. Once I took that onboard I found I really could work with anybody, and it's fair to say it has really changed me in a lot of ways.

Do you agree or disagree that you can, if you try, find something to like about anybody? Any related experiences or struggles you've had with this?

I'm not judging people who can't do this. I don't feel superior or anything. People are different.
You can't control how others react to you, but you can control how you react to them. It sounds like you found a way to do that positively, it's a good trait.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,062,880 times
I think I need to try this more...I tend to find things to DISlike about everybody. It's hard though...I feel like I usually see one's likeable traits first, then their unlikeable traits come out & that's all I can see.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 PM

426 posts, read 559,595 times
its difficult dealing with sick people who are in a bad mood but dealing with mean sick people who sit in the front row at church on sundays then cuss u out on the other six days of the week...well my facial expressions do reflect the moment.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,356,431 times
I try to , but it has been difficult as of late. My car , which I had for 8 years , has been broken into twice this year , gas stolen , CD player stolen , and as a crescendo , totaled about a month ago by an arrogant being. Despite it being their fault , my adjuster said the report stated I was making a 90 degree left turn at 50MPH , while the truck that ran the opposing red light was doing 5MPH. Events such as this , as well as stories viewed in this media , have led me to convict 90% of 'humanity' as ignorant savages , mere millimeters from reversion to reptilian instinct , and next of kin to chaos. Logic dictates this as false , for if that were the case , I'd either be long dead and eaten , or found transport offplanet. Usually , those I encounter daily , which number about 18 , are civilized on the surface , but this is likely attributed to required workplace decorum. Even with this as a factor , there are still those who revel in their reptilian/apelike vestigial traits. With this being said , I still have some distance before I reach the level of Slithytoves. Eventually , something will occur , just uncertain as to the nature of the occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships