U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM

225 posts, read 435,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
At my last job I made friends with co-workers and we would party every once in a while. Dated the boss's daughter without him knowing of course and life was so great for about a year. But after we broke it off, I finally realized what a terrible mistake we made. It made life and work pure hell.

Bad idea to make friends at work? No, just don't inform them about every aspect of your life and don't get too personal. People talk.

And coming from experience, I highly advise against dating a co-worker.
Yeah, I think your right about not informing them a lot about my personal life. I think they may disagree with some of the things I do outside of work lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM

10,260 posts, read 7,697,202 times
It all depends. You can meet close personal friends at work, you can meet people that are great to get lunch with, you can meet people that are nice to talk to at the coffee maker, and you meet people that you can't stand. And some people are just fun to go to a twice-a-year happy hour with. Dating in the office is a delicate situation and a whole other thread, but sometimes people make it work.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,818,835 times
I've made some lifelong friends through work. Just talked to one yesterday who moved cross country.

However, while you can make good friends through work and you can make good friends outside of work, it is a lot harder for a friend to come work in the same office as you. Because the dynamics change in ways you don't expect.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM

624 posts, read 832,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie4530 View Post
I've been distancing myself from some work friends lately, only because the time we were spending together became a huge
bit-h session about work or people at work, and in the position I'm in, I don't want to be considered part of the gossip mill.
Good plan, as long as you don't mind being talked about behind your back. An unfortunate consequence of taking the high road is that it can make you a target.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 PM

624 posts, read 832,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As a supervisor you can't be "friends" with the grunts. Having said that you need to be sociable, meaning able to carry a conversation on something other than work, but not social.
In some cases I agree, but not always. I was a manager for Blockbuster in their heyday, and was friends with my staff outside of work. I just made it clear that during work hours, we had to accept the work hierarchy. Maybe it was the staff I had, or the fact that we all socialized together, but it worked out fine. Our turnover was low, our shrinkage was low, and I never had trouble getting people to come in on short notice. Our staff was small and a store is its own little universe...I can see how it could be more difficult to pull off in a larger environment like a factory.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 AM

12,770 posts, read 10,402,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yes.

Be friendly, but keep your coworkers at arm's length. They are not your friends.
I completely agree with this, don't make things more complicated with personal relationships.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,541,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
People have told me that you go to work to "work" not make friends. I've been at my place of employment for about a year and half. When I first started, I met a couple of girls who are also supervisors like me and I suggestged that we all go out to luch sometimes. For a while we would go out once maybe twice a week. Then we all decided to hang out outside of work and we all went to the movies and dinner. Recently, over the past few months when I would envite them over to my house for parties or other places, they have both been bailing out or will make an excuse why they can't make it. I just say "okay" and keep it moving.

I have not really said anything directly to them about it or asked them why. I'm wondering if I should say something or just let it go and not invite them to do anything else?
That is a great sentiment! Although it disappoints my co-workers greatly, I leave my home at home and my work at work.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,287,797 times
I've made friends at work; however, because the initial bond was the fact that we worked at the same place, once one or the other of us left, that friendship faded into non-existence. There have been one or two that I've kept in touch with; but as a rule, once we were on different 'work' paths, there went the so-called friendship.

I agree wholeheartedly about not sharing personal information with coworkers; best to just keep it light.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM

3,965 posts, read 4,890,799 times
I rather have an enemy at work than a friend.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM

6,225 posts, read 5,426,491 times
I would say that unless the invite is reciprocal, it is not a friendship.
Don't push something thy don't feel engaged to return.
It's not worth the drama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships