Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times

Advertisements

Maybe I was born too late or too poor, but technically I fit the description as far as the acryonym goes, but neither I nor anyone I know ever referred to themselves with that term. It was always considered a political or demographic lable you used to describe a group, not an individual. You might acknowledge to someone that you were one, but you never used the term yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
i had a college floormate who was English Irish Sc otch and German, he was a methodist and jokingly referred to himself as a WASP

my sister in law is a Methodist and Scotch- Irish. I wonder is that a different stock of bloodline than someone who is Scotch- Irish Catholic?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM

10 posts, read 14,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutsiePatutsie View Post
Do people actually still call themselves WASPS, and if so are they being pretentious? Scholars agree that the group's influence has waned since the end of World War II, with the growing influence of Jews, Catholics, African Americans and other former outsiders. WASPS lost even more control of their once disproportionate social and financial power in the 80s when business interests gained more influence in Congress, and the social fabric of America started to change as entrepreneurs surpassed WASPS in net worth. Today they are a minority in Congress, and my guess is that their wealth is miserly compared to America's new found billionnaires.

What's your insight?
I always thought WASPS who call themselves WASPS do so out of humor. But to voluntarily announce it? It's just tacky. See the second post of this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ghetto-13.html.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 PM

338 posts, read 677,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRedLipstick View Post
I always thought WASPS who call themselves WASPS do so out of humor.
This. I use the term for myself and my family quite frequently but I am the only one in the family who does so, and I am basically taking the **** out of us. Because there's a lot of funny stuff about the WASP subculture--one of my favorite scenes in any movie is in the second Michael Keaton Batman movie, when the baby Penguin's parents cope with their freak son by tossing martinis. I'm all "yep, those are my people! Better living through alchoholic self-medication in elegant glasses."

Old 10-28-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
This. I use the term for myself and my family quite frequently but I am the only one in the family who does so, and I am basically taking the **** out of us. Because there's a lot of funny stuff about the WASP subculture--one of my favorite scenes in any movie is in the second Michael Keaton Batman movie, when the baby Penguin's parents cope with their freak son by tossing martinis. I'm all "yep, those are my people! Better living through alchoholic self-medication in elegant glasses."
Yes exactly. And you get a good laugh out of it because it's funny. But you don't go out of your way openly announcing to people, let alone strangers, your heritage right?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM

338 posts, read 677,182 times
Quote:
Yes exactly. And you get a good laugh out of it because it's funny. But you don't go out of your way openly announcing to people, let alone strangers, your heritage right?
God, no, not to strangers! (Although it's pretty obvious, I definitely look the part.) But a stranger might think I was trying to brag--the humor might not come across and that's a tricky thing, it might read as some kind of weird "White Pride." It is just a joke, but I will say it's a long-running joke with my friends. My family has given me a TON of material that when I tell my friends, they're all "REALLY? People actually do that?"

Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM

61 posts, read 102,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
This. I use the term for myself and my family quite frequently but I am the only one in the family who does so, and I am basically taking the **** out of us. Because there's a lot of funny stuff about the WASP subculture--one of my favorite scenes in any movie is in the second Michael Keaton Batman movie, when the baby Penguin's parents cope with their freak son by tossing martinis. I'm all "yep, those are my people! Better living through alchoholic self-medication in elegant glasses.
Quote:
I think she just did reveal her background but I don't think she did it with intention or pretention. The other woman on this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ghetto-13.html, however, seemed to me like she was projecting some kind of deluded sense of self-importance. I don't think that a geniune WASP, in the traditional definition of the term, would have the desire to reveal that he/she is a WASP due to the group's vilification by the media, and the fact that they are associated with the British colonizers. Also based on their conservative values they are simply not flambouyant people like the woman on this thread appears to be. //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ghetto-13.html

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Why would it be pretentious? It's just their ethnic background. It's no different than someone proclaiming himself to be Irish Catholic.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutsiePatutsie View Post
I think she just did reveal her background but I don't think she did it with intention or pretention. The other woman on this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ghetto-13.html, however, seemed to me like she was projecting some kind of deluded sense of self-importance. I don't think that a geniune WASP, in the traditional definition of the term, would have the desire to reveal that he/she is a WASP due to the group's vilification by the media, and the fact that they are associated with the British colonizers. Also based on their conservative values they are simply not flambouyant people like the woman on this thread appears to be. //www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ghetto-13.html
I think Gee1995 is the real thing.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM

61 posts, read 102,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Why would it be pretentious? It's just their ethnic background. It's no different than someone proclaiming himself to be Irish Catholic.
Your view of the terminology is very simplistic. WASP-iness is more than just an ethnicity. Why wouldn't it be pretentious if you voluntarily told complete strangers that you're a WASP? As Gee1995 noted she would feel like she was bragging if she volunteered that information. If you were of European aristrocatic descent, would you announce that to the whole world? Same concept. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships