Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,713,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

No mean comments please - I'm sincerely asking real questions here.

Her kid bolts into the street?? Why isn't she watching her kid.

Run over her cones and "children at play" sign --- it's a traffic obstruction and, legally, it does not belong there. If you don't want to do that, call the cops and tell them she is intentionally obstructing traffic by leaving things in the middle of the street.

If she continues the harassment, I would tell her "I'm going to call CPS because you are not watching your child and you are putting him in danger because you allow him to 'bolt out into the street' --- YOUR words, lady, and I WILL absolutely let CPS know"

If the legal speed limit is 25mph, you can drive 25mph. Do NOT drive faster than that! She cannot tell you how fast or slow to drive. She's nothing but a bored stay at home mom with nothing better to do but complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,411,536 times
Kids are kids. They don't look or think. Say you're right and you're driving the posted speed limit. You're well within your legal right. And you hit and maim or kill a child. A posted speed limit is only a guide to the MAXIMUM allowed speed. Due to obstructions, weather, road conditions etc you could be driving unsafe.
The speed limit in my community is 15 mph. Even if it was 25 I wouldn't do it. Way too many kids in my neighborhood. And I know a lot of them. I rather drive 15 mph than run over a child. I mean is it really that big a deal to slow down? How much time are you saving vs possibly saving a little kids life.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM

10,323 posts, read 13,859,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

No mean comments please - I'm sincerely asking real questions here.
If the speed limit is 25 go 25. Also, what kind of a dumbass parent doesn't tell her kid not to bolt out in the street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships