Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie24 View Post
How about the parents train their kids to not run out into the street?

OP, are the traffic cones and "kids playing" signs legal? Check with your police department. She might be interfering with traffic.
Of course, drivers in residential areas need to be careful while driving. Of course, drivers need to always watch out for children.

But, according to the OP, the neighbor is allowing her child to bolt into the street. The parent knows that her child runs into the street. Obviously, the parent is not watching their child well enough or the child is too young to be that close to the street or the child needs to be in the back yard and not the front yard or the parent needs to hold the child's hand when they are near the street.

Can you imagine the chaos if every parent just put traffic cones and sticks/signs "in the middle of the street"? I knew families who put traffic cones in their own driveway or put up fences to keep their children inside their yard----but what private citizen puts traffic cones in the middle of a public street to slow traffic below the posted speed limit?

IMHO The parent is a "Super Sized Special Snowflake" that demands that whole world (at least anyone who drives past her house) watch her "Child sized Special Snowflake" instead of doing it herself.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-11-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
I would be annoyed if she said you were going 90- there is a huge difference between 90 and 25!

I once had to ask a neighbor to please slow down in his HUGE raised truck, that thing was a monster and he definitely was plowing down it, but I was NICE about it and said "hey do you mind slowing down a bit, there are a lot of kids playing here, thanks."

I would have said "No I wasn't going 90, but yes I can slow down. Please don't make outrageous claims if all you are asking is I slow down."

Honestly when I drive down neighborhoods I do go slower than 25 because I'm always afraid a kid will dart out of nowhere. A 3 year old was killed last week when a car was backing up and the child ran right in front of it. Very sad, and this person was backing up, definitely not even speeding!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid.

No mean comments please - I'm sincerely asking real questions here.
I'm torn between giving an honest reply, and honoring your request that it not be mean. Your neighbor sounds like a and you should tell her to learn how to be a better and to properly supervise her while at the same time teaching them some .

Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Tell her that it's not your fault that her child doesn't understand the consequences of running into the street. Let her know that you will continue to drive your vehicle at the posted speed limit. Tell her that if she wants the speed limit lowered, then she needs to petition it to the city.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
You're obligated to drive no slower than the posted speed limit. Although if I personally knew I was driving down a street where kids and dogs playing outside was a common thing, I'd be extra vigilant. It's time for these cliquey moms to start teaching their kids not to run in the street and keep doggies on leashes. I had a neighbor like that growing up. He was the one responsible for getting four different speed bumps put on that one friggin' street too. I hate going to my mother's house.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

My response would be in these words; "If you want me to drive no faster than 15 mph, here is the number to the Arlington County Government. You can petition them to change the speed limit on this street if you feel so strongly about it. I am sure they will be thrilled to hear of your illegal measures to control the speed limit on this street. In the meantime, I think your time could be spent more productively teaching your kid NOT to run out into the street, because even if I were to slow down you may have an out of towner who may not make that concession or know any other unofficial rule of this street other than the POSTED speed limit.

In the meantime, I will continue doing the 25mph I am legally allowed to because getting to my place as quickly as possible after work and class is important to me after driving through Washington DC area traffic. Thank you and have a nice day."

Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
people. If you hit and kill a child, will you feel fine about it, as long as you were going the speed limit?
I would not be happy about it, but if I were driving legally, I'd understand that the parent has a responsibility to teach their child the rules of the road, like not running out into a street before looking both ways. In that instance, I'd understand that the accident would not be my fault.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
OP, are you interested in defensive driving? If not, then go the speed limit under every condition.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
SLOW DOWN! A child's life is worth more than this petty argument. If it's a residential street, you should be driving slowly and carefully, and watching for children. And if you ever do hit a child, better hope that no one tracks down this thread, and identifies you, because it could be the basis of a hefty lawsuit.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
In my community, there is a "thing" where the folks that live here complain endlessly on Facebook about the speed at which people drive in the community. The speed limit is 25. The clicky stay at home moms - who do not have to suffer through traffic & long commutes - have decided that 15 is the max appropriate speed.

I've been driving 25 miles per hour. Today, one of the clicky moms stopped by my house and informed me that I was driving at an inappropriate speed. She quoted 90 miles per hour, which is factually not correct. I drive 25 mph. She said that her kid often bolts into the street without looking, and she wants everyone to drive slow enough to avoid her kid. She also sets up cones and sticks "slow children at play" signs in the middle of the street to slow people down.

I am wondering if I am obligated by society to listen to her. Clearly, driving 25 mph in a 25mph zone is legally permissible. I also want to get along well with neighbors.

I do not like following the directions of others - I have been successful in life because I choose to ignore other people in many situations. I would probably be living with my parents and working at a dead end job if I chose to follow what society thought of me. Instead, I have a successful job at a city distant from my parents, and also have a beautiful family.

Thanks.

Just do what they request. If you like being different, avoid cookie-cutter housed, suburban neighborhoods like the plague.It's been the final resting place for the human spirit for over half-a-century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships