Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM

621 posts, read 1,032,890 times

Advertisements

To me I have had an array of best friends and back in school days it was those type of best friends you would do everything with, call on the phone or talk too everyday! Nowadays I do still have a few friends I like to call my best friends.

But 2 of them I am unsure on if they are best friends of mine or not. I met both in middle school, one her and I talked and hung out a lot then our friendship sort of died away where we didn't hang out or talk much anymore and she dropped out of high school and then her family moved away to Texas.

The other friend I did consider her my best friend but after a number of fights and a serious fight and me noticing her ways towards me I cut that label from her name but she says I am her best friend but I don't feel that way towards her anymore. I have mentioned her a few times on here and online.

She now works 1 job full time, and still does not own a cell phone since her mom took her 2 previous phones away, but yet she still calls me on PRIVATE. She only comes and see's me like once if not twice MAX every few months. Same with calling me only once in a while every few months.

I CANNOT email, Facebook, Twitter, or call her because she doesn't use her PC anymore and she does not have a phone so she says. She only stops by when it's convenient to her, calling and letting me know she is stopping by 5 minutes before arriving when I have other plans usually among other things.

I don't think she is a best friend like the other friends. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Best friend for me is my spouse. Everybody else is a friend. "Besties" is for the young.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:37 PM

22,563 posts, read 47,614,734 times
How old are you?
Sounds like high school drama to me...

If you don't think they are your BFFs anymore, then they are not. That simple.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
What do you think?
The most symbiotic relationship.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,134 times
Why does it matter? I'm not sure why it matters how internet strangers would label your friendships.
Are you asking us if these people are real friends to you?

Just because someone doesn't communicate via the technology of your choice, doesn't mean they aren't or can't be a good friend. Expecting someone to do it *your* way isn't fair. However, if she is only making you a friend when it is convenient to HER and not there for you when you need it, then that isn't fair to you. That isn't a friend, but if she is working and not allowed a phone and doesn't want to use a PC, what else can she do? Perhaps it's not a matter of who's right or wrong; maybe you 2 have grown out of each other and it's not right.

You sound young to me - if her mom is taking away her phone, it sounds like you are teens. Teenage friendships don't always last into adulthood, and beyond. Doesn't mean it's her fault or your fault, things happen. People move into different places.

What is a "best friend" to me might be different to you. I don't think someone can tell you - yes that person is your best friend, that one isn't, that one might be, etc. Do you feel in your heart that person is? Number one moved away... personally, I find it hard to feel like someone who is not around me is a "best friend" because my friends do not do well at keeping in touch. But, I am in my late 30's... my husband and sister are my best friends. And, at my age I don't do "besties" and all that either, I feel a little outgrown for it.

Maybe they aren't your BFF... so what? You'll meet other friends.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Someone I can trust and who I know cares about me. I have 2 right now but it's not like we see each other often or anything. We are grownups with lives and one live on the opposite coasts. I also have a few acquaintances/friends who I socialize with more but know less about on a personal level. My "bffs" tend to be people I've known for years and who I've been through the ups and downs with. They are made formed from the bad times, not just the fun times.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
My best friend lives 9000 miles away and yet I know if I saw her tomorrow, it would be as though we hadn't been apart. That's a best friend. Someone who doesn't judge you, who cares deeply about you, who understands when you're being an a$$hole, someone who takes your side no matter what.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
My best friend lives 9000 miles away and yet I know if I saw her tomorrow, it would be as though we hadn't been apart. That's a best friend. Someone who doesn't judge you, who cares deeply about you, who understands when you're being an a$$hole, someone who takes your side no matter what.
This.

If I feel bad and I know I can tell someone about it and they'll be supportive and listen to me, then that's a best friend. And they know I would do the same for them. If you worry about being judged by a person when you want to talk to them about something serious, then you're not close enough to be best friends yet.

Sadly I have had too many friends in whom I put a lot of effort who never reciprocated it. They turned out to be the friends who liked to party with me but not talk to me. I have learned to regard those people as acquaintances and to never rely on them for anything. That's really the best way to handle it.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Oh yeah to me thats what a best friend is as well not only one who talks to you a lot of the time but is there for you no matter what the matter may end up being. I know I have one of those friends been her friend for a couple of years now.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
you can have a best friend at any age, but a truly honest-to-goodness best friend are rear these days and I think we often use that term too loosely. a best friend is that special person who will stick with you as closer than a sister or brother and in some cases closer, will value and cherish your friendship, will tell you what you need to hear instead of what you want to hear, will accept you as you are, be there in time of need, go the last mile with you, take joy in your success, don't always have to say anything but just there for support, and finally someone you can always count on unconditionally. this person can be your mom, dad, sister, brother, husband, wife or other family member. for some of us this person been there all the time but was overlooked for the fake best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships