Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,618,253 times

Advertisements

Would it p*ss you off if a "friend" always thought it was ok for you to drive almost an hour to see her, yet she NEVER has driven to your neighborhood? When she plans things she only wants to do things within 5-15 minutes from her house. We live almost an hour apart.

I am ALWAYS the one suggesting we meet in the middle. I live in a nice neighborhood, so it's not like I'm asking her to jeopardize her life driving into a gun-infested hood. I've driven to her neighborhood countless times, until I started to see how one-sided this "friendship" was.

She's even wanted me to give her some clothes and various items of mine. I tell her she can have/borrow them, but she needs to come get them. Suddenly, she doesn't want them anymore. I've called her out on it and she just shrugs, admits she's lazy and lame about it.

I'm thinking this "friendship", if you can call it that, has fully run it's course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM

537 posts, read 742,905 times
I'm reminded of the Camel's Nose In the Tent parable. Look it up. It sounds like your "camel" keeps pushing the envelope. If you don't push back and draw the line somewhere, you're heading for bad news.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,105,586 times
I have friends that never visit me but expect that I come see them.
In return, they serve me dinner or invite me to stuff. It evens out.

A friendship is give and take. If it is unbalanced and they EXPECT unreasonable stuff, I break it off. Never regrettet it.

Your friend sounds like a taker.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Camel's Nose In the Tent parable
Thank you for that parable. Very applicable in this situation!

Quote:
Your friend sounds like a taker.
Thank you for your feedback. Time to let this one go.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,844,086 times
Some people really do not like to drive outside too far outside of the zone where they feel safe and comfortable. Some people don't like highway driving, or hate getting lost in unfamiliar places. Could that be an issue?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Some people really do not like to drive outside too far outside of the zone where they feel safe and comfortable. Some people don't like highway driving, or hate getting lost in unfamiliar places. Could that be an issue?
She has a nice vehicle with a navigation system and takes the highway to get to other places we've met up at. We've met up once at a place kind of close to me, but she was benefitting from another friend giving her free tickets. I've called her out on it and she admits she just doesn't feel like it if it isn't convenient. I've put my foot down for awhile now and refuse to drive up to see her/hang out anymore.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,168,050 times
That is annoying. I think you did the right thing, just tell her you don't want to make that long drive right now...if she really wants to see you then she'll make the sacrifice for once. Her reaction will be telling on if the friendship has run it's course.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,590,608 times
It could be that she's being cheap about the gas and doesn't want to use her car much. Ask her for gas money for your car if you have to drive her around or just sit and wait it out. If she reciprocates and comes your way, then she cares enough to see you. If not, she's a user.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM

872 posts, read 1,266,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Would it p*ss you off if a "friend" always thought it was ok for you to drive almost an hour to see her, yet she NEVER has driven to your neighborhood? When she plans things she only wants to do things within 5-15 minutes from her house. We live almost an hour apart.

I am ALWAYS the one suggesting we meet in the middle. I live in a nice neighborhood, so it's not like I'm asking her to jeopardize her life driving into a gun-infested hood. I've driven to her neighborhood countless times, until I started to see how one-sided this "friendship" was.

She's even wanted me to give her some clothes and various items of mine. I tell her she can have/borrow them, but she needs to come get them. Suddenly, she doesn't want them anymore. I've called her out on it and she just shrugs, admits she's lazy and lame about it.

I'm thinking this "friendship", if you can call it that, has fully run it's course.
You got it. While I read your post, all I could think was, "'Friend' does not belong in the title."

Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,579,809 times
Can't answer you now, off to drive to my friend's house that is over 30 minutes away who never comes to my area. LOL. But, she is going to help me with my divorce papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships