Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,320,336 times

Advertisements

Also, it is rude. They need to be taught manners by someone. Why not you?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,360,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The other posters are interested because I get lots of rep points, views and over 100 responses.
Counting just this screen name, or the other 10 or so?

I saw the thread...read the title...and said, "That's I'm Retired Now/Snooper/Spock/whatever...has to be." And I was RIGHT! Rep me now

Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 AM

25,456 posts, read 9,847,745 times
I agree with Olli. I don't think Grandma should put up with rude grandchildren who cannot even glance away from their electronics for a meal with the family. That is the ultimate in self-centeredness. If I were her, I would go on that cruise with their inheritance. Ridiculous.

In the same vein, several of us were invited to a luncheon in honor of a co-worker who was leaving. The luncheon was held at the co-worker's family's house. What did the co-worker (20 something) do the entire time? Look down at the smartphone in her lap. I wanted to slap her.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Yup, if I were grandma, I'd leave my money to fluffy the cat or something like it. LOL

Grandma needs to go collect as many old bag and cell phones as she has grandkids and rude nieces and nephews and leave THOSE to them in her will. AND THAT'S IT.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM

36,648 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
To be fair, I was one of those kids (even as a teenager) who would've gladly preferred staying home, or sitting there playing a game or texting to talking with my aunts, uncles, and grandparents. But my mom would've never let me do that on the holidays, and I didn't have any handheld electronics as a kid. Not even a Gameboy. It was all my mom could do to keep me kinda sorta up to speed with the consoles! But I do believe that if I had had any sort of handheld electronic device for entertainment, she would've made me leave it at home or in the car on Thanksgiving Day. Some people aren't very social, and that's understandable to a degree. But anytime you're around someone you haven't seen in a while, and you want them to (magically?) know you care about them, you need to put the electronics away. At very least, show them it doesn't kill you to listen to what they have to say!
Yes, exactly. Adults in the adult world have to be places and do things they don't necessary want to. Its part of living in a civilized community. Kids today need to learn its not all about them and we all need to make concessions.

In hindsight I so wish I would have listened and paid more attention to the stories and conversations with my older relatives as a youngster. Its often after they are gone that one develops an interest in family history and what our grandparents and elders' daily lives were like. And then its too late.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM

452 posts, read 710,737 times
We confiscate all electronics. There's nothing so important that a 13 year old can't stop to spend time with the people she may never see again (most are very old).

Two years ago, we caught Penelope texting under the table. I took her phone, she threw a fit (she's 17). It's ludicrous to allow children to run amuck when it's a family affair. (Penelope is not my child either, her parents were thrilled that I took her phone)

Since that day, all teenagers that come to big family outings must either give up their phones, or, give up their phones. If they want to throw a fit, they get to sit by themselves with a...BOOK (oh, the agony!)

Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,805,788 times
I'd love to see how some of the posters who are puffing out their chests try to threaten and push around the 20-somethings who are probably independent adults on no cell phone use period, talking your house, your rules. Your house may not be a democracy but it is also not Alcatraz, I'd just leave if people were that OCD about not using my phone. I would not want to be around people who go Nazi if I leave the table to take a message, family or no family. Some of the ones puffing their chests are probably not pleasant people to be around anyway, so I would not be in their presence in the first place.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM

78,629 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In my OPINION if someone is divorced they stay away from their ex husband or wives family events. You are no longer part of the family.

So I was shocked when one of my sisters showed up at Thanksgiving with her evil Ex Husband. My first question was, "are you getting together again?" Her answer, "NO WAY, I still HATE him."

Then why was he there? Answer: Because the kids wanted to be with their dad on Thanksgiving.

He had to drive 250 miles to be with them and us.

What do you think of that?
I think it's nice that they can put aside their differences for the benefit of the children and that the father put in the effort to be there as well.

Basically, what I'm hearing is that everyone was willing to bend a little and set things aside for a day....except you.

P.S. He's the kids father so yeah, he is still part of the family as long as they want him to be.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,102,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd love to see how some of the posters who are puffing out their chests try to threaten and push around the 20-somethings who are probably independent adults on no cell phone use period, talking your house, your rules. Your house may not be a democracy but it is also not Alcatraz, I'd just leave if people were that OCD about not using my phone. I would not want to be around people who go Nazi if I leave the table to take a message, family or no family. Some of the ones puffing their chests are probably not pleasant people to be around anyway, so I would not be in their presence in the first place.
I am 28 years old and if someone asks me (not that they'd need to...since I know better) I put my phone away. It is their house and their rules and unless your are a cop or a doctor, you do not need to be available at all times. I work in advertising and trust me sometimes clients or coworkers or vendors think things are life or death situations and I gladly answer emails and texts on nights and weekends but, if I'm somewhere, I don't answer right away. I wait until I can get away for a second to return their text/email/phone call.
You are lucky you never met my grandfather, he was a wonderful man but his house, his rules, you choose not to follow them then GTFO.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,399,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Who or what behavior exactly are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships