Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,229,264 times

Advertisements

Been to four funerals this past year, a really crappy year dealing with deceased relatives. I may make a brief statement,
like "RIP my Cous" or something like that and take a few minutes to do some silent prayer to em..

I've never witnessed anyone taking a photo of a deceased relative and personally find that kinda morbid. I prefer to remember
them living and laughing, not laying in a casket, that's difficult enough to deal with especially when they die young.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,162,119 times
I find nothing strange with talking to the deceased in the casket, but pictures just seem morbid. Just MHO.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:44 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,357,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I went to a funeral home yesterday to pay respects to an old friend who had died. There were lots of people "hanging out" by the deceased sitting so peacefully in his casket. I noticed two interesting things I had never seen at a wake before:

1) A number of people stood over the body for the longest time and spoke to him like he was alive. A long speech directed at him because of course he could not talk back.

2) A number of people took pictures of Andy, the deceased, lying in his casket.

Are these proper things to do at a wake at a funeral home?
Ah! The name.

Pay attention, folks. A good lie has details.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,348,703 times
Quote:
I went to a funeral home yesterday to pay respects to an old friend who had died. There were lots of people "hanging out" by the deceased sitting so peacefully in his casket. I noticed two interesting things I had never seen at a wake before:

1) A number of people stood over the body for the longest time and spoke to him like he was alive. A long speech directed at him because of course he could not talk back.

2) A number of people took pictures of Andy, the deceased, lying in his casket.

Are these proper things to do at a wake at a funeral home?
I talk to the body in the casket if it is someone I loved or cared a deal about. No long speeches. I have my say and touch their hand. No big deal.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
OP won't come back, but FWIW...

Not everyone is as staid as you, OP. I have seen people talk to the loved one in the casket. My grandmother and her sister had photo albums with a couple of snapshots of relatives "lying in state."

If that ruffles your feathers, Google "Victorian post-mortem photography." We're talking posed portraits with recently deceased family members. That will blow you away.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,548,068 times
Quote:
Just for the fun of it, I'll respond as if I believe this is a real post:

You seem to be a person filled with misery and self-loathing that you project onto others. Quit looking for excuses to judge other people, it's the beam in your own eye that should concern you and not the mote in others' eyes.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 PM

607 posts, read 1,394,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If that ruffles your feathers, Google "Victorian post-mortem photography." We're talking posed portraits with recently deceased family members. That will blow you away.
Yes, definitely creepy, but that was the custom back then.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Yes, definitely creepy, but that was the custom back then.
I get it. Relatives often were very hands-on during the death and post-mortem stage, so being around a deceased relative wasn't THAT unusual back then.

Nowadays, just like with our trash, "someone else" takes the body away and "prepares" it for us.

All of this OP's posts make it feel like he's just emerging from a long sleep and is overflowing with (judgy) questions about the world around him.

Either that or he recently got an internet connection.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,548,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Either that or he recently got an internet connection.
For the win, best explanation yet.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,638,064 times
The "deceased" are not literally dead. In body, yes. In spirit, no. They absolutely can hear everything their family and friends are saying. In heaven, there is a portal where they go to watch and listen to all the major events of their relative's lives here on Earth. Including their own funeral. So I would think twice about your assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships