Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,081,242 times

Advertisements

Harrier sees this done occasionally.

Either the women will be clasping hands with their arms tucked near their bodies, or they will walk with arms linked.

These are often young women(20's-30's) and older women as well.

Harrier is quite certain that these women are not lesbians.

Most often, they are women of East Asian ancestry.

Is this a cultural practice in those communities, or is there some other reason why these women do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,874,352 times
I've noticed the walking with arms linked thing among Asian females too. It's just something that friends do. In some countries like India or the Middle East men do it too and they are for the most part not gay.

Actually I had a friend from Burma I met with in Malaysia. When we went to a water theme park she held my hand a lot. Made me wonder if she liked me or something...I did think she was probably just doing it to be friendly, but I thought in those cultures people of the opposite sex did not do that unless they were a couple...turned out later that she had a boyfriend anyway, but other things she said (which were sort of flirtatious, talking about love a lot) and her natural playfulness, as well as say placing a hand on my thigh for extended periods, really made me wonder. Before you ask no she's not one of those gold-digging types who just wanted a foreign 'boyfriend.' She is a dentist, and is now doing further studies in the States.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,081,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've noticed the walking with arms linked thing among Asian females too. It's just something that friends do. In some countries like India or the Middle East men do it too and they are for the most part not gay.

Actually I had a friend from Burma I met with in Malaysia. When we went to a water theme park she held my hand a lot. Made me wonder if she liked me or something...I did think she was probably just doing it to be friendly, but I thought in those cultures people of the opposite sex did not do that unless they were a couple...turned out later that she had a boyfriend anyway, but other things she said (which were sort of flirtatious, talking about love a lot) and her natural playfulness, as well as say placing a hand on my thigh for extended periods, really made me wonder. Before you ask no she's not one of those gold-digging types who just wanted a foreign 'boyfriend.' She is a dentist, and is now doing further studies in the States.
That is very interesting.

Harrier would interpret those actions as signs of romantic interest as well.

It appears that she didn't and perhaps people in Myanmar(Burma) view such actions in a different manner than we do here in the USA.

Do you know what the Malaysians around you might have thought if they were watching you and your friend?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:40 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,438,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Is this a cultural practice in those communities, or is there some other reason why these women do this?
I do not see it as being unique to people of any culture or community. I see it all the time - in many places in the world.

Nor do I see it as being in any way a "romantic" gesture. Everyone expresses their affections in different ways. Some people do it using tactility. I am not seeing any great mystery or requirement for explanation here.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,494,743 times
Miss Hepburn is often walking with friends that grab her hand
and walk along wih her, sometimes hook her arm.
Miss Hepburn doesn't care for it much, but flows with it....she thinks
it is very sisterly and maternal...but since her mother never showed her
much affection it is not natural to her.
Come to think of it those friends have children...grown and gone now.
Hmm, maybe it is something they used to do with the kids and is a habit or
miss it.

(Ok, Miss Hepburn tried the third person thing, Miss Hepburn feels
it is very weird , strange and makes her feel icky.)

Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,298,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Miss Hepburn is often walking with friends that grab her hand
and walk along wih her, sometimes hook her arm.
Miss Hepburn doesn't care for it much, but flows with it....she thinks
it is very sisterly and maternal...but since her mother never showed her
much affection it is not natural to her.
Come to think of it those friends have children...grown and gone now.
Hmm, maybe it is something they used to do with the kids and is a habit or
miss it.

(Ok, Miss Hepburn tried the third person thing, Miss Hepburn feels
it is very weird , strange and makes her feel icky.)
That's because referring to oneself in the third person is indeed weird, strange, and icky. It speaks to an overweening narcissism.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,874,352 times
Quote:

It appears that she didn't and perhaps people in Myanmar(Burma) view such actions in a different manner than we do here in the USA.

Do you know what the Malaysians around you might have thought if they were watching you and your friend?
Yes...actually I kinda felt we WERE a couple because people probably thought we were, haha. I actually kind of liked her a bit, but alas, it was not to be.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:45 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,769,972 times
thas because we as americans have such hangup here that we dont know hoe to embrace freidnship, without thinking something more.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,338,329 times
Quote:

Same here......bet they were.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,923,583 times
Women are just naturally more touchy feely than we guys are and don't have the same hangups we do about it. I see women hug, kiss, and hold hands all the time and don't think anything about it. Just like how two women have to accompany each other to the restroom at a club or restaurant. If we guys did that it would be considered pretty odd.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships