Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times

Advertisements

I had several friends in high school and kept in touch with a couple of them off and on through college, but after graduating and entering the "real world," they have all fallen off by the wayside. I haven't talked to my best friend from high school in over 5 years and we used to do everything together in school. Now he lives about 300 miles away from me and he is in a different career field than I am. We never had a falling out or anything like that. We just simply stopped talking to each other. I think a lot of it is that we just don't have that much in common anymore.

It's sad in a way, but there's the saying that friends come and go through life. I guess that's just how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It's sad in a way, but there's the saying that friends come and go through life. I guess that's just how it is.
And some of them will come back again. That's really how it is.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I had several friends in high school and kept in touch with a couple of them off and on through college, but after graduating and entering the "real world," they have all fallen off by the wayside. I haven't talked to my best friend from high school in over 5 years and we used to do everything together in school. Now he lives about 300 miles away from me and he is in a different career field than I am. We never had a falling out or anything like that. We just simply stopped talking to each other. I think a lot of it is that we just don't have that much in common anymore.

It happens. Just let it be. The process accelerates rapidly once those old friends start getting married and having children. They all have a tendency to ditch their single, childless friends.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times
My one remaining best friend from High School really changed a lot over the years recently. We used to have so much in common but lately his extreme political views has really put a strain on our friendship to the point where I just don't have as much in common with him anymore. When we do talk we mostly just talk about the past which is the only thing we can relate to. I can't talk to him about current events as much because he's just so extreme with his views that I'd rather just avoid it altogether.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
That's life.

But I did find that as you get older, there's a period of reconnection. Facebook has been a big factor in that reconnection.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
It is sad, but I think pretty much everyone would agree that it happens. I was extremely close with my best friend from 3rd grade on. We did almost everything together and had tons in common! We were both pretty excited when we each independently moved to the same city after college. We actually live closer to each other than we did as kids (although with city traffic it takes longer to drive than it used to in our small town.) And guess what? We almost never talk. It's not that we bear each other any ill will--much the opposite! But we just grew in completely different directions when we entered adulthood. She got married young, moved to a little apartment in the suburbs, and became more introverted. I went the other way: I dated a lot before getting together with my current boyfriend, got a house in a walkable area of the city, and I enjoy an active social life. Neither of us is right or wrong, we just don't want the same things anymore. I still see her now and then, but we don't have much to talk about these days.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I don't think it's sad. It's just the way life is. People don't just grow. They don't grow in the same direction. So the person with whom you were best buds in high school may be a complete stranger to you by the time you hit 25 in attitudes, tastes, philosophies, you name it.

On the other hand, be alert to the possibility that people with whom you had nothing in common become far better candidates for friendship later on. That's happened with me with several people. I wouldn't have given them the time of day in high school, but they're now really great folks.

That's why I think people who won't go to high school reunions are kind of sad. Because, first of all, they're allowing a bunch of teenagers to effectively live inside their heads ten years after graduation. Second, they allow themselves such bitterness that it really destroys their generosity of spirit. They can't conceive of the fact that someone can undergo a metamorphosis into people really worth knowing or maybe they weren't such a picnic themselves.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:29 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Heh.

Wait until ya hit 50.......
3-5 years without seeing your old buddies is not a big deal.

And then when ya do catch up with 'em.....it's like you just saw them last week.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,418 times
I graduated high school 11 years ago. I have had friends get married, divorced, had kids, get killed and go to prison.

Life happens.

I only communicate with about 4-5 of my high school friends and it's not often.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Yep. Just how it is. Move along, nothing to see here (except life happening) . You'll be into your next stage soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships