Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,307,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
If you are the consumer, it shouldn't matter whether the person in front of you in line is on the phone or in person. If the "live" person was there first, he should be taken care of first. If the person calling in was on the phone placing his order befor the live person walked in, his order should be taken first.
That would be fair!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 PM

36 posts, read 53,223 times
I once went out to dinner with a friend who:

1.Kept me waiting for her outside for about 15 minutes
2.Came into my car talking on the phone
3. Didn’t get off the phone after we arrived at the restaurant
4. Our food came and she was texting the entire time

My best friend and I have dinner dates (shes not the one I mentioned above). She does take the calls because she leaves her son and daughter with her husband and he'll call her to give an update or ask if the baby ate or ask where something is at.. The call is no more than 2 minutes

So yes.. it’s annoying.. lol

Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,307,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Over Christmas dinner, two of my younger relatives were texting. When I asked who they were texting, they told me each other. They were sitting at the SAME TABLE!
kinda scary isn't it....I wonder if they'd even converse without their phones, seems more and more are forgetting how. Just think of what they're missing when they can't see faces and expressions that speak the truth.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,750,102 times
Not particularly.

My job requires me to be on call often, and since I socialize with a lot of people in the same industry, it's pretty much par for the course. It's nothing for a dinner or drinks to be interrupted by someone getting a work call that must be answered.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM

836 posts, read 1,664,586 times
I'd like to see more businesses where cell phones didn't work.

Most people are not awaiting a kidney transplant that they need 24/7/365 contact with the world.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,072,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Over Christmas dinner, two of my younger relatives were texting. When I asked who they were texting, they told me each other. They were sitting at the SAME TABLE!
Just about as ludicrous as emailing the coworker in the next cube to say, Good Morning. When that happened to me, I got up, walked over to the coworker and said, "Good Morning!" She got the hint and going forward, she greeted me in person.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,817,815 times
I think it's incredibly rude. The shorties are not allowed to bring their cell phones for sleep overs. We have high octane face to face fun, not sedentary electronic fun. I'm trying to teach them that there's more to life then cyber space and texting. They have a choice between staying home with their toys or coming to our house. We win every time

Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,845,149 times
I had a friend like that for a long time. She had to have a group around her at all times...and then someone else on the phone! It's just insanity, I don't understand it.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:58 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,881,808 times
Sometimes I will be helping a customer and their phone will ring. If they tell the person they will call them back, fine, but if they start engaging in mindless chatter and ignore me, I simply walk away. I did that one time and the guy found me a few minutes later and said "Where did you go ?" I told him I was too busy to stand around while he was on the phone and I figured he would find me when he was done. I think he got the message.

Obviously, I think it is extremely rude of someone to chat away and ignore the person they are with, be it a friend or otherwise.

Don

Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,211,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It depends.

If the phone call is from my sister telling me our mom is in an ambulance, you better believe I would continue with that call!
And any true friend would totally understand...
Staying on an emergency call is understandable! No friend should have an issue with that.

The OP is referring to purely social type calls I would think. Those should be handled briefly and they can call back later to continue them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships