Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I am really tired of your act, and I sure as heck don't respect your opinion. The only person who needs training is you....
Why so personal?

I guess you don't respect your elders, either . . .

J/K!

Have a nice evening, but please do chew with your mouth closed in the future. It is very unappetizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
You said that this person is a good friend of yours and has called you out previously and it is upsetting to you? So if this is the case in a calm manner can you tell your friend how it makes you feel? What other things has this friend commented on? Why do you think you remain friends with someone who you feel is so critical of you?
You said that you don't chew with your mouth open but on the same note you don't have the best manners? So is there a possibility you may have been chewing with your mouth full and it is something you just need to work on? Though I cant imagine telling someone what your friend did it may be of benefit so you can correct the behavior or be more conscious of it.
Lastly this seems to be really bothering you and if you feel you did not have bad manners then why do you feel so upset?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Hello all! I am a bit confused if what someone did at lunch today was the correct thing to do, so, I am looking for other opinions. I was at lunch today, and someone who I was sitting with made a gesture to me to chew with my mouth closed. I admit that my manners are not perfect, but I always chew with my mouth closed, and must have just slipped up today, like everyone does from time to time. I was a little annoyed, though, and thought it was a little rude. I am also pretty confident I wasn't chomping down on my food either.

I guess what bothered me even more was that the person sitting right next to him was chewing with his mouth open as well, and I see bad manners when I go to lunch with my peers all the time (elbows on the table, eating with hands), and that never gets called out, but I get called out. This person has called me out before, and while he is a very good friend of mine, it does get a little annoying because no one is perfect, and no one should try to act like they are. I guess it just bothers me that someone else is trying to parent me, especially considering that while I occasionally will do something bad-mannered, 99% of the time I am still chewing with my mouth closed.

Has anyone ever done this to you? Do you think this is appropriate?

Actually what your lunch companion did was horribly rude and a breech of normal and acceptable manners.

Unless that person is your parent they were way out of line.

Correcting people is never acceptable.

This individual appears to be on some sort of ego trip. You can do better than this. Friends don't attempt to make other friends feel badly about themselves.
Nasty narcissists do that.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
I am really tired of your act, and I sure as heck don't respect your opinion. The only person who needs training is you....

Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
It's a question of degrees. Just about everyone would be grossed out by someone going #2 next to the table. Most people wouldn't care how someone else's napkin was folded. Chewing with one's mouth open isn't nearly as extreme, but it's still something many consider gross.

Commenting about someone else's manners is never good manners. This is true. But wouldn't it be crueler for friends of the OP who are disgusted about the habit to start avoiding him and stop inviting him out to dinner without ever saying why? This was a good friend and he did it silently. It's not like he announced it to the table.
If they are good friends, they wouldn't ditch him and they would not call attention to his faux pas in front of others, in anyway.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
next time someone corrects you- just start coughing like you are choking, and spit all the food in your mouth on your plate...

they wont correct you again

Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
So, tell him how much it irritates you...and don't be upset if he quits hanging out with you for meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships