Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialAnalog View Post
Did I spend four hours posting my concern? No
Do I lack the ability to communicate with people the "old-fashioned" way? No
Did I spend my entire day indoors? No

Don't see any irony here.
So your strawman argument doesn't apply to you, just to some imaginary other cohort of kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 AM

97 posts, read 97,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Just because generations of the past were wrong says absolutely nothing about whether we're right or wrong about the younger generation of today.
Great point

I vividly hate this "But my parents thought Elvis Pressley would ruin society" analogy. Utter crap

My sisters moved to Europe to have children, I will be doing the same. Last thing I want is my child glorying individuals like Jay Z and Tiger Woods.

Western culture is a rotting disease.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
Great point

I vividly hate this "But my parents thought Elvis Pressley would ruin society" analogy. Utter crap

My sisters moved to Europe to have children, I will be doing the same. Last thing I want is my child glorying individuals like Jay Z and Tiger Woods.

Good luck to you then. Thank goodness Europe has nothing even remotely "Western" like cable TV and the Internet. It's just pastries and art museums and people playing alpine horns all day long.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Just because generations of the past were wrong says absolutely nothing about whether we're right or wrong about the younger generation of today.
You have a point, but that also proves that we should indeed question this assumption that the younger generation of today is leading the world to ruin.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3]Is that meant to be a joke? I honestly can’t tell if that’s sarcasm.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Although I don’t agree 100% with how I think the OP feels and believes, I don’t 100% disagree with him either.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And although I don’t think it’s as big a problem, at least his thoughts and arguments have some rationale...unlike some of the others ‘round here. I really don’t see any reason to attack the OP on this. [/SIZE]

Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 12,598 times
I think you focus on the correct point.The youth are using electronic devices and they are satisfied.By using this they are completely forgetting the social behavior and they have lack of awareness about society.As far as my knowledge is concern every academic board of the world include a subject that reform the social behavior of youth.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
I think you're right to worry.

I'm fortunate enough to have grown up before iphones facebook etc and I thank my lucky stars for that.

God only knows what I would be trying to live down if I'd been able to post my stream of consciousness to the world at 14....!

I hang out at some clubs with good live music and a bunch of dinosaurs, and every so often we get a group of kids in "slumming it" or whatever, and they get drunk and start talking and all say "gee it must've been fun in the 80s when people actually talked instead of hanging on to their phones all night".

They don't even consider turning them off though! And they're so busy filming, posting, texting that they miss half the night.

Also, none of this is new. The same concerns were raised when tvs were brought into every house. The civilised folks ensured they turned it off at meal times etc so the Art of Conversation was forced to be the only entertainment. I never had the tv on, I haven't even owned one for about 3 years now. Plus I'd rather die than have a facebook account, my friend is 60 and is on it all the time and its a total pain in the arse.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I don't know... I'm a little more worried about the future of a country where 1 in 77 (in places) are being born on the Autism Spectrum. When these babies age out into adult-hood. Half will require pretty extensive care. Half of the other half will not be traditionally employable. The other half that might be employable won't be capable of doing work that couldn't be done by the exploitable labor caste whichever that turns out to be.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
Great point

JayZ is a model of moral turpitude? Tiger? How typically American. Might I offer some better examples: Charlie Sheen, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan... don't go to Europe expecting to find the same veiled racism that exists in the U.S. Tiger's wife was European. Just saying. Her current flame is a celebrity athlete just like her ex-husband. She really learned her lesson I guess. I'm not leaving the U.S. because Tiger is a sex addict. You go ahead though, but I'd really avoid Europe in that case.

H

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM

313 posts, read 496,932 times
I agree with you.

I am not having any children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships