Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 PM

334 posts, read 585,808 times

Advertisements

I think you should move on, and she should move on, to find others more sympatico! Or limit the contact you have to situations where something is being DONE, so that the monologues cannot start (like the movie but NO lunch). She may just have a very expansive personality and feel close to these other people somehow, but if the friendship is not a good fit, taper off your contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times
I can totally relate to your complaint about her talking about total strangers you don't know and don't care about. I actually had a thread about that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ho-gossip.html

Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
Sounds like a very tiring relationship. This person is very self absorbed. I'd find a friend who you could actually tolerate the majority of the time.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
I think you should move on, and she should move on, to find others more sympatico! Or limit the contact you have to situations where something is being DONE, so that the monologues cannot start (like the movie but NO lunch). She may just have a very expansive personality and feel close to these other people somehow, but if the friendship is not a good fit, taper off your contact.
If you go to a movie with someone over lunch so they will have less opportunity to talk, than forget the movie as well...LOL. This is someone you don't want to spend time with.

You're first sentence got it right. Move on.

It sounds like the OP nervous about being in a new area rushed into this "friendship" because they belong to the same church and sing in the choir together. It's wiser to take it slow in situations like this, I get the feeling this didn't happen.

OP should just find some excuses to not get together after choir practice and start limiting the phone calls, it will eventually peter out. Doesn't sound like it has been going on that long anyway.

Use this as a learning experience. Go slower next time, I would rather be by myself than around people who annoy you just to have company.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,161,337 times
Tough situation my friend. I hate these types of things. I've been there. I wouldn't cut her off completely as it sounds like you'll still be seeing her frequently. Would she be open to talking about this? (My guess is no)

Old 03-06-2014, 05:05 PM

500 posts, read 319,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
She's a die-hard gossip and probably talks about you to others, in the same way that she talks about others to you.

I'd keep her at arm's length.
And isn't that the truth about gossips in general?

If they gossip to you; it's a sure bet that they gossip about you!

Ditch that "friend".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships