Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times

Advertisements

Make sure your parents know what you've heard...so they won't keep helping someone who would behave this way...And so they won't invite this person to their home anymore....Other than that....some quick witted response if the occasion arises...Guess my parents didn't loan you the money you asked for this time.....or something that turns this BS around to the gal...Obviously she is an ingrate...and a user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, nicely and softly confront her, wait to hear her explaination, if any? Then let her know this is unacceptable behavior and make her understand, how she acts and speaks, even how she reacts, reflects on her whole family....and can either hurt them or make them proud, it is up to her, but right now, what she is doing is wrong...it's ok to do that, it's ok to call someone out on bad behavior, if you don't then you are encouraging it....you and your wife have the tools to stop it...so what if she becomes upset, and whatever you do, do not back your defense by name dropping, if she wants to know how you found out, tell her this, " we won't do that, we won't name drop, that is not the point or what we are discussing here". Discuss this maturely, and nicely, never lose your temper....

BAM, problem solved.
Sorry...In a perfect world. You cannot reason with unreasonable people. But....confronting is likely to be a have to.
And, seriously...sounds like this is not a "relative" that has to be in your business...
I would never put my parents into a situation like this, one of you had to have invited this in law into your social circle with your parents...Un-invite her yesterday...protect your parents

Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,923,761 times
Some people just want to make themselves look bad. Neighbors know she's crazy. Thinking about the poor kids this nut has or ever will have.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,992,042 times
Hey folks, the OP was written 4 years ago...

Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,923,761 times
Oh man. Well, I wonder how they're doing. Somehow I saw it in one of the one liners.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 AM

323 posts, read 220,179 times
Interesting. I think you should leave it alone. Let thibgs work themselves out. You see she just wants attention, so don't give it to her.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:29 AM

323 posts, read 220,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hey folks, the OP was written 4 years ago...
Whoops....funny how we never notice this......

Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Going to my parents neighbors and telling them that my parents are wealthy snobs that she can't stand.

Neither my spouse nor this woman's husband have any control over her....I don't think there is anything we can do. It just makes my choice in of a family to marry into look bad.

For what it's worth, IMO, it doesn't make your parents look bad. It makes the SIL look bad, petty, and small.

How did you find out that she was doing this?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
Apparantly, my wife's sister-in-law (brothers wife) has a big mouth and has been trash talking MY parents to their neighbors. Not sure why she is doing this as they haven't done anything to her, and have actually helped her out a few times, but she has a big mouth and usually whatever thought pops in her head also pops out her mouth.

I don't think my parents are offended - but unfortuantely her crassness just really makes my wife and her family look bad.

Just wondering if there is anything I should say or do about this.

A discreet, "Excuse me. But don't talk about my family. That is out of bounds," should do the trick nicely.

My father-in-law is one of those people. He is an arrogant man whose shtick is to criticize everybody on how they keep up their homes, how they spend their money, etc.

My sister hasn't made wise decisions in her life, but it's not as if she's living in an opium den or anything. When my father-in-law started in on her at the dinner table one night, a quick, "Don't you talk about my family that way," put the quietus on that in a hurry. I'm a pretty respectful guy, but I have my limits. I think he was shocked that I spoke to him that sharply.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
Quote:

I don't think my parents are offended - but unfortuantely her crassness just really makes my wife and her family look bad.

No it doesn't...not to anyone with a mind of their own it doesn't.
Believe me when I say....it just makes HER look bad....not the whole family.

Good people will not judge you negatively (or even judge you at all) by what she says......and if they do?...so what...consider it their loss, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships