Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,582,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
I thought I was the only one who didn't go to a gravesite.

Right now the people closest to me that are deceased are my grandparents on my mother's side (my dad's parents were both deceased before I was born). My mother goes once or twice a year to visit their gravestones, I went with her once but never went back.

No siblings (dead or alive) and no kids (dead or alive), fortunately both of my parents are still living, my mom has commented about whether or not I will ever visit the gravesite's after? I never gave her a yes or no, but the answer is no.

I don't see a point, they will always be in my thoughts and my heart, as for "talking" I would be perfectly happy/comfortable doing that in my own house or somewhere else I was alone, but I don't need to be at the gravesite to do that.

I believe they will be watching over me and always around where I am.

<just typing this has me almost in tears>

powerful thread
I lost a son and for the longest time felt spiritually numb...questioning my faith. Visiting the grave site will be too painful, final and resigned. I'd rather remember my son as he was and still is in my heart...full of life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 03:37 PM

532 posts, read 960,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Oh come on.. really? A dumb dinner and that's how you honor your family? You're not that far away from me and I have been to Branson several times.. and you are petrified and classifying scattering someone ashes as as a ritual? All I can say is Wow! Man... I have more respect than that.. personally. I don't visit my parents enough like I should. But I do visit. Sheesh
Can't we at least be a little nicer and a little more forgiving on this subject. No one is telling you how to remember your loved ones, only how that person handles it. You don't know what is in someone's heart, nothing wrong with sharing our views and opinions, but please don't put down others.

Nobody has said they are doing anything illegal or immoral, it's what they are comfortable doing and they are not hurting anyone.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:39 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,579,942 times
After my mother died my dad said he didn't see any need of us taking him to the cemetery. (They were married over 65 years). He said just the shell she lived in was buried there. She was still with him and he talked to her every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Was at a funeral once and saw some ethnic group having a picnic on a deceased's grave. That was strange.

My wife's family cemetery is in a rural area and in a National Recreation Area. Once a year they have their family homecoming at this cemetery. The morning is spent cleaning around the graves and putting new flowers and all the photo albums come out for all the family stories. Just before noon, long tables that have been hauled in a panel truck are set up and the potluck dinner is set up. I have never seen so much food in all my life!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,506,580 times
I believe Europeans visit more often, atleast my wife's family does. Most Europeans I know of, do as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 13,097 times
I enjoy going to cemetaries. I have many loved ones' graves to visit, plus there is so much history in cemetaries! I do not see anything wrong with a picnic or homecoming at a cemetary as long as it is done respectfully and all is cleaned up afterwards. God tells us to honor our dead. I think it is a great way to honor the dead by visiting their graves, praying, meditating and reflecting on their lives, as well as our own lives. We should not be fearful, for God is with us always! You do not "have" to go, but I do choose to go when I can.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,097 times
Oops, sorry for misspelling "cemetery." It felt wrong when I was typing it! This from an English major; I guess I am pretty tired.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,102,766 times
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't visit family grave sites. My feeling is that my loved one isn't there anyway. It's just an empty vessel buried in the ground.

But I do like walking around the really old cemeteries and reading the headstones.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,754,640 times
I visit my relative's grave sites every year on Memorial Day weekend.

It was a family tradition.
I remember my dad bringing me when I was quite young ( about 60 years ago )

Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,993,687 times
My grandma died in 2008. Used to visit her site once every year. I stopped since 2011 or so. I think it just hurts to see your loved one down there. I do suffer from depression on a monthly basis (not from her death though) and going to the cemetery just worsens it.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:22 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If you have immediate family members who passed away who are buried nearby, how often do you visit the grave? Do you talk to the deceased if there is no one around as you stand by the grave? Do you bring flowers? Do you go by yourself or with family and friends? Or do you never visit because when they are gone, they are gone?
I haven't visited my mother's grave in a very long time. However, I speak to her every single day. She is in my heart and soul. I can still feel her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships