Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,247,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Or you put on your big girl panties, dispense with the nastiness, go over and talk to your neighbors. Explain that your cat is and has always been outdoors. Apologize for the fact that the cat goes on their property, and ask them to please let you know if it becomes a regular problem, but you will do you best to prevent it from happening.
I already did that dear. And I gave them my telephone number and told them to call me before they decide to have my cat euthanized by animal control.

I have not heard from them since. Only seen them trapping squirrels nonstop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,599,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I already did that dear. And I gave them my telephone number and told them to call me before they decide to have my cat euthanized by animal control.

I have not heard from them since. Only seen them trapping squirrels nonstop!
So what's the problem?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,247,733 times
Quote:
So what's the problem?
Did you not read my first post? I have bird feeders and also feed the squirrels. These same crazy neighbors are trap happy and have decided to trap all of the squirrels which enter their yard. I was feeling bad for the squirrels and was seeking advice about that situation. The indoor cat people took over the thread.......

Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,475,925 times
Quote:
So what's the problem?
I'm guessing Podunkville doesn't have enough drama.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,078,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That doesn't make you right. I'll never understand why the responsibility to keep cats safe should fall on anybody other than the owner.
She isn't suggesting anyone keep her cat safe she's asking that they not intentionally harm her cat.
As far as I can tell by her post the cat isn't causing any damage to their property, the neighbors are upset because their dogs like to chase the cat.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM

297 posts, read 796,900 times
Excuse me as I have not read all of the replies, so I may be asking something that's already been answered. Have you checked to see if it's illegal to trap wildlife in your town/area? At all? With a permit? If they're doing something illegal, report them.

Frankly, your neighbor sounds obsessed with the squirrels. I like both squirrels and birds, and whoever shows up at the feeders, it's all good (well... maybe not skunks). Trapping and relocating squirrels this time of year could be separating a nursing mother from her babies -- do they realize that? Good luck, but if I were you I'd interact with these neighbors as little as possible.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,806,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Did you not read my first post? I have bird feeders and also feed the squirrels. These same crazy neighbors are trap happy and have decided to trap all of the squirrels which enter their yard. I was feeling bad for the squirrels and was seeking advice about that situation. The indoor cat people took over the thread.......
Dam my husband would have a HUGE problem with those neighbors. The squirrels know exactly what time to show up at our house for their daily peanuts...lol

Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM

9,156 posts, read 14,817,096 times
If there are lots of trees in your neighborhood in NC and they insist on trapping squirrels, I doubt they will have much time to deal with the cat as they will have their hands full. They would practically need a squirrel conveyor system to whatever area they are releasing them in based on the areas around here.

It sucks that you cannot put up a fence. Perhaps you could petition the HOA and use these situations as evidence for a change.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM

17,409 posts, read 12,018,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So much prejudice against cats!!! If a cat has been allowed to roam freely all its life, there is no way it is going to be happy trapped in a house 24/7. And why should it be, when it is the neighbors who can't control their dogs.

If someone threatened to trap my pet and bring it to the shelter, I would be furious. And trapping squirrels and relocating them is sickening. Your neighbors sound like jerks who would be better off living in a bubble where they can control their entire environment. I'd be willing to bet the squirrels and cat are just the beginning of their complaints and that there will be more to come on other issues.
Your cat or dog is in my yard, I might do that.

I currently have a neighbor behind us whose dog used to come into my yard (our entire property is open, with a small area fenced for our dogs). This dog entered my property, and attacked my dogs through the fence, including my elderly dying 14 year old dog. I put the dogs into the house, jumped the fence and chased the dog to his own yard, where the owner was working on some project. I proceeded to give him an earful and DID tell him that if I found his dog in my yard again, it would be going to a shelter - end of story. Dog never came back again.

I think I'm going to have that same discussion with the cat lady across the street, after cleaning out my raised bed veggie garden and flower garden on my porch, where her cat used it for a toilet. I'm getting pretty sick and tired (not to mention disgusted) by the constant cat poop and pee in the area that grows food I eat.

The solution to both problems is the same - keep your animal out of my yard. Period.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,014,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There are many articles out there that dispute this, cats are indeed predators. Why do you think back in the day so many farms had "barn cats"??? That's not to say that I think it's ok to just let your cat out unsupervised to wander and prowl.Mine goes out supervised, she never leaves the yard.

Cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't say they were not predators. Of course they are predators - that's the problem. They are not NATIVE predators - that means they are not an original part of the ecosystem, but rather were introduced artificially (by humans). That's what "native" and "non-native" mean. Non-native species are and have been a big environmental problem for a long time - not just cats, but the many other things human beings have managed to transport, either through necessity, stupidity, or irresponsible pet ownership, into new environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships