Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:18 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times

Advertisements

Eh, I reached out to 2 women on fb when I discovered we live in the same city.
No one remembered me
Talk about letting the air out of my reunion tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 04:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I think that statement flippantly discounts a lot of the pain people go through in high school. You remember getting bullied, being picked last for the teams in gym class, all that stuff. Just because it happened 10, 20, or more years ago doesn't mean it still shouldn't hurt.
Then think of it as a way to get past all that. Therapy. A way to purge inner demons.

I mean, hell, just about everybody except the quarterback and the head cheerleaders had to deal with some of that crap, because teenagers are all, without exception, a-holes at some time of another. When I went to my tenth, the guy who was the biggest bully in the school was just ignored by everyone there, as befitting how he had treated others.

So, without being flippant about it, I counsel you to get over it. Quit nursing whatever crap happened to you when you were 14 or 16, because all that does is eat away at you. Chances are, you are no real exception. What's more, the people who might have treated you that way probably really regret their behavior.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-10-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
To put it mildly, I was not fond of high school. I wasn't bullied much after junior high, but I never really fit in with my classmates, either. The friendships I had were superficial and did not survive the separation of summer, so each fall I felt like the new girl, trying to find her place again. After graduation, I went away to college on the opposite coast, and was thrilled to think that I might never see my classmates again-- not because I harbored many resentments (only a few), but because I welcomed the opportunity to reinvent myself as something other than a "brainy misfit." I happily skipped my 10-year reunion, which I heard about third or fourth-hand, because I wasn't in touch with anyone, and the organizers had no idea how to reach me. I had planned to give the 20-year reunion a pass also, then at the last minute I decided to go because it was held at a venue located about five minutes from home, and curiosity got the better of me.

I am so glad that I went. I had a great time! With one or two exceptions, I could scarcely remember why I disliked certain people in high school, and we all greeted each other warmly, shared reminiscences and had lots of laughs. The real revelation for me was the level of comfort I felt with everyone, which I attribute to the fact that we had all passed through adolescence at the same time, in the same place. While the particulars differed, the broad outlines of our formative years were drawn by shared experiences, and I think that created a connection among us that simply cannot be replicated in the relationships we form with those we meet later in life. It isn't necessarily a stronger bond, but it is a unique one that I would not have discovered if I had skipped another reunion. Our 30-year reunion is fast approaching, and I am genuinely excited about it.

So, you should go!

Last edited by katenik; 06-10-2014 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Facebook is sufficient for keeping up with the very few people I actually care about from class. Not going to my 10th even though I only live 170 miles from my HS in VA. Hopefully by year 20 I'll be living much further away like maybe Seattle.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Class reunions are about more than keeping up with a few people whom you liked way back when. As has been noted, Facebook works well for that. But Facebook can't provide the surprises, the common threads, the collective memories, the spontaneity, and newfound changes in old acquaintances that occur at a reunion. These things have to be experienced in person.

There's still much to be said for real-time, face-to-face interactions that happen in non-virtual reality.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Then think of it as a way to get past all that. Therapy. A way to purge inner demons.

I mean, hell, just about everybody except the quarterback and the head cheerleaders had to deal with some of that crap, because teenagers are all, without exception, a-holes at some time of another. When I went to my tenth, the guy who was the biggest bully in the school was just ignored by everyone there, as befitting how he had treated others.

So, without being flippant about it, I counsel you to get over it. Quit nursing whatever crap happened to you when you were 14 or 16, because all that does is eat away at you. Chances are, you are no real exception. What's more, the people who might have treated you that way probably really regret their behavior.

Please, not everyone needs therapy just because they want nothing to do with those they went to high school with. It really isn't as dramatic as all of that, if I really wanted to spend time with any of them I would have already been spending time with them throughout the years after high school.

I counsel you to quit assuming there is anything for anyone to get over and I seriously doubt that any of them regret any of their behavior then or now.

There is nothing to "get past and no demons to purge" besides, if I purge all the demons the voices go away and then I have no one to talk to late at night when I'm all alone...

Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 PM

7,110 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Hahahaha.To answer the OP question, NOPE. Haven't gone to one yet, and it's been 41 years.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,632,075 times
I've been out of high school for 5 years now. My high school had a 5 year reunion a few months ago. It was organized through Facebook. The organizers decided to open the reunion to the class above mine and the class below mine because "we all had friends in other grades and it would be nice to see them again". It took place at a nearby community center. They invited teachers to come along and thought it was so funny that they would be able to call their old teachers by their first names. I declined the invite. There were over 200 people invited but by looking at the event page and at the pictures posted, only about 20 to 25 showed up and they were all people that hang together outside of reunions anyway. I think a 5 year reunion is pointless. That is way too soon to see everybody again. I also don't want to hear about the awesome university they went to while I've only just finished community college. Obviously a lot of people don't care about reunions. A majority of the people invited still live in the area and still had no desire to go.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I think that statement flippantly discounts a lot of the pain people go through in high school. You remember getting bullied, being picked last for the teams in gym class, all that stuff. Just because it happened 10, 20, or more years ago doesn't mean it still shouldn't hurt.
At some point, you need to either let bygones be bygones or just have no association.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If anything, I think Facebook actually creates a greater desire to go.

I went to my tenth for one night. Skipped my 20th for a trip to the beach. And missed my 30th. Now that I've connected with lots of people from high school, I've found that a) Many of them weren't the jerks I thought they were back then and b) I had forgotten so many cool people.

So if you're still butthurt twenty or thirty years after graduation, seek therapy.
There is a middle ground between feeling enthusiasm for high school reunions and being "butthurt" and it is called irrelevance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships