Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
He picked up a "black spray bottle" and sprayed something all over the door and patio.
"Graffiti: writing or drawings scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on a wall or other surface in a public place".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
That's not good. If I were you I'd try to get out before the going is good. It sounds like you moved into a bad area. But I understand. We just had a bunch of thugs move in here and they have no respect for the building or anyone in it.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM

15 posts, read 28,265 times
Hello, it's over with now.

Google Voice phone doesn't allow 911 calls. That's the only one that I have.

A male and female officer finally arrived. I told them what was happening. The lady officer seemed more serious. The male officer was jokey. He said it sounds like he likes me. I explained the guy called me out of my name when he didn't even know me and that he is married, he laughed, "What that mean? Like that's stopping anything." The female officer said, "If a person is crazy, that could be there way of getting attention."

After hearing my side of things, the officers went next door to speak with him as I stood inside with my door cracked. He kept telling the officers to have me come outside, but they explained I didn't feel safe and there was no need for me to come outside. He then tried telling me if I ever have a problem with him, please write him a letter or talk to him. Again, the officers told him that wasn't necessary. The male officer laughed, "No brother, you won't be getting no letters, emails or none of that."

Anyhow, he seemed more together once they arrived--as crazy people always do. He was polite and appeared more stable. I do feel safer now that they have everything on file and have spoken with him, telling him not to come anywhere near me again. They told him to stay on his side, don't come on my patio, don't stand by my door listening to me on the phone, etc.

Thanks to those whom responded. I'm hoping this solves everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
What has your LL said about all this? He / she may have had issues with this tenant before and just looking for another complaint to evict them...you won't know if you keep quiet and allow yourselves to be pushed around by this neighbor.

I have never heard of a phone that wasn't able to call 911?!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborProblems View Post
I hate to be pessimistic, but be prepared if it doesn't solve anything. It could, in fact, have the opposite effect.

Get that prepaid phone right away. The situation with the neighbor aside, it's a bad idea to not have a way to call 911. What if you or your mother had a medical emergency?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the update. You did the right thing.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
We live together, because I don't earn enough to leave on my own. She has 4 months left on the lease. It's not like I can move today. We don't have the money and it takes a few days to get apartments ready, etc. I don't know anybody here because we are in another state, so there's no one to stay with either.
you absolutely have the right to move out if you dont feel safe where you are now. you would have to check your state a local laws for the procedure to break a lease to do it properly.

Quote:
Hello, it's over with now.

Google Voice phone doesn't allow 911 calls. That's the only one that I have.

A male and female officer finally arrived. I told them what was happening. The lady officer seemed more serious. The male officer was jokey. He said it sounds like he likes me. I explained the guy called me out of my name when he didn't even know me and that he is married, he laughed, "What that mean? Like that's stopping anything." The female officer said, "If a person is crazy, that could be there way of getting attention."

After hearing my side of things, the officers went next door to speak with him as I stood inside with my door cracked. He kept telling the officers to have me come outside, but they explained I didn't feel safe and there was no need for me to come outside. He then tried telling me if I ever have a problem with him, please write him a letter or talk to him. Again, the officers told him that wasn't necessary. The male officer laughed, "No brother, you won't be getting no letters, emails or none of that."

Anyhow, he seemed more together once they arrived--as crazy people always do. He was polite and appeared more stable. I do feel safer now that they have everything on file and have spoken with him, telling him not to come anywhere near me again. They told him to stay on his side, don't come on my patio, don't stand by my door listening to me on the phone, etc.

sorry to tell you its not over with. it wont be until one of you moves out. the only thing you can do is document everything, and give copies to the landlord and the police every time they show up when you call. this includes any police reports you are given. as for the male officer, dont file a complaint against him, but do contact his supervisor and let them know that you were displeased with the lack of seriousness in the officers attitude when talking to your neighbor and yourself.

and get yourself a good phone that allows you to call 9-1-1. you dont need a service plan, you dont need a prepay phone, all you need is the phone. it is federal law that all cell phones be able to call 9-1-1.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I hate to be pessimistic, but be prepared if it doesn't solve anything. It could, in fact, have the opposite effect.

Get that prepaid phone right away. The situation with the neighbor aside, it's a bad idea to not have a way to call 911. What if you or your mother had a medical emergency?
Yes, please do get a prepaid phone. And I definitely agree that this might have the opposite effect. He's calm and cool now but eventually, he'll be back at it again. Crazy people don't stop being crazy. It just hibernates. He probably wants to give you a false sense of safety, so he'll have better opportunities to harass you.

I also hate to be a pessimistic, but I also have to be realistic.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
... as for the male officer ... do contact his supervisor and let them know that you were displeased with the lack of seriousness in the officers attitude when talking to your neighbor and yourself.
I strongly disagree. He made a few mildly inappropriate comments but certainly not sufficient to warrant a dumb tattle-tale complaint to his superior which will only serve to make him very reluctant to be of any help in the future. When dealing with members of the force or anyone similarly in authority you very carefully pick your battles when necessary and slough off the insignificant.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:

One of two things happened - this either ended something, or it started something else that may be an even worse situation. You're dealing with someone who is clearly mentally unstable and is quite comfortable engaging in criminal behavior for no reason at all. It's very difficult to predict how someone like that is going to behave when there's no longer a police car parked out in front of the building.

I don't want to alarm you, but at the same time, I wouldn't be overconfident if I were you. This could go either way, and could very easily get worse after he's had time to stew about it and smoke some crack or whatever it is he does. Please don't let your guard down.

I'd also be very concerned about whatever substance he's been spraying on your balcony. You may want to consult a doctor - from what you're saying, it's quite possible you've been poisoned, and if so, you don't know what it was. It could potentially be something very serious.

Best of luck to you. I truly hope this really was the end of it, and it all goes well from here on out.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:28 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Walk over to the manager's office and ask if you and your mom can be moved to another unit. Explain that you have had to call the police once already and that you have seen him spraying things onto your balcony. Tell him/her that if things get worse you might have to move, but you don't want to break your lease, you are fearful and very worried that he might be dangerous. Also that you overheard his female friends threatening to assault you when you've never even spoken to them. Notification to the landlord will be one of the factors that may allow you to break the lease without repercussions, if they do not act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships