Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,417 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! For a while now, I have been sort of annoyed with this issue, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy for thinking this. Is it just me, or is it really aggravating when people literally post their lives on snapchat/instagram/facebook? I personally think snapchat is the worst, and have considered just getting rid of the app. I mean, it's the same tired like 10 people posting pictures of how "awesome" and "fun" their lives are. I mean, for me at least, it just gets tiresome. I don't know, it just bothers me because I am tired of the incessant pictures, and how people portray themselves on these social networking sites.

Do you all feel the same way? I just want to scream through the screen I DON'T CARE AND I KNOW YOU AREN'T HAVING AS MUCH FUN AS YOU WANT US TO THINK!!! Lol.

(And I can't unfollow/defriend these people because some of them are my good friends and that would be rude).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:36 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
You are "crazy for thinking this" because you CHOOSE to be on those sites. You can't change their behavior (what they post), you can only change your own. Simple, not rocket science here. Case closed.

I'm not on snapchat or instagram. I don't have those complaints.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
You can un follow and defriend them on these sites and still remain friends in real life, it would not be rude. I do find the endless "selfies" extremely annoying, along with all of the "look at me" type of posts. That is one of many reasons why I no longer use these types of social media. Lately I've noticed people taking "selfies" of themselves in public and even that annoys me a bit.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
That's weird. You're complaining about Facebook for its content, yet you frequent it. Here's the thing. A person who brags nonstop on Facebook is a person who brags nonstop at a dinner party. It's not as if their behavior radically changes once they get online.

Personally, outside of posting vacation snaps, I don't really go for the Facebook equivalent of the Christmas letter. At the same time, it's nice to see how people I know and like are doing in their lives.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
If it bothers you that much, then deactivate your accounts and get off them sites. It is that simple, dammit!

Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Outside of city data I do not utilize media outlets. Zero Facebook,IG, snap chat etc...
I never understand how pompous many truly can be. My beautiful better half loves said outlets. She post photos often, I'm private and don't feel the urge to showcase our vacations abroad.
She complains of my preference to keep photos of myself off the pages, even her friends and family inquire of my lack of participation. I want nothing to do with such sites and activities.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Hello everyone! For a while now, I have been sort of annoyed with this issue, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy for thinking this. Is it just me, or is it really aggravating when people literally post their lives on snapchat/instagram/facebook? I personally think snapchat is the worst, and have considered just getting rid of the app. I mean, it's the same tired like 10 people posting pictures of how "awesome" and "fun" their lives are. I mean, for me at least, it just gets tiresome. I don't know, it just bothers me because I am tired of the incessant pictures, and how people portray themselves on these social networking sites.

Do you all feel the same way? I just want to scream through the screen I DON'T CARE AND I KNOW YOU AREN'T HAVING AS MUCH FUN AS YOU WANT US TO THINK!!! Lol.

(And I can't unfollow/defriend these people because some of them are my good friends and that would be rude).
If you don't like what you're seeing, then don't go to the effort to look for it. Stop using the sites.

Though it sounds like simple jealousy to me. Not that you'll admit it.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
There are ways of minimizing exposure without unfriending. For instance, on FB, I have a list of people who post a lot. I don't interact with them often, so they don't monopolize my feed, but when I want to see how they're doing, I just pull up that list in my feed. Keep in mind that on FB, the more you interact with someone, the more that person shows up in your main feed. On Twitter, I did unfollow some accounts that were dominating my feed, but I put them in a list, too, and when I want to read their tweets, I look at the list. I see no reason to follow the same people on Instagram and Facebook, as most people I know link the two, so I can see their Instagram photos on Facebook. Choose one or the other for people who dupe.

Play around with the settings and controls. You'll figure out a way.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
So you're jealous of how awesome and fun their lives are? If you're friends or acquaintances with people who are living their lives to the fullest and doing awesome things then of course they will want to share it with friends and family

Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
So you're jealous of how awesome and fun their lives are? If you're friends or acquaintances with people who are living their lives to the fullest and doing awesome things then of course they will want to share it with friends and family
I'm uncertain if you meant to press enter after typing this post.
I can't say I believe that's what the OP was hinting around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships