Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,600,740 times

Advertisements

After my mom died, I thought that I could really use a big sister. Ideally, someone who could kind of pick up where she left off, but someone who didn't think I was as delicate as I made my parents think I was. She would be a perfect balance between buddy and bully, someone who possessed strengths in the areas where I'm weak, someone to fight and argue with, someone to cry to, someone to show me new things, and someone to look out for me. Since I'm an only child, though, it would be pretty hard for me to find a mentor like that. Right now, I'm my own big sister and my own mentor, but it gets lonely since I'm usually the only one I talk to.

I would like to hear your stories if you have a big sister or if you have a special mentor. Where did you find this person? What have they added to your life? What do you think I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,810,854 times
If you're under 18, there is a nationwide Big Brothers/ Big Sister program.

Be a Big Brothers Big Sisters Celebrity

If you're older, do you have a grandparent, aunt or cousin with whom you are close ? If you talk only to yourself what does that mean ? The features you are looking for in a mentor are found in friends. I would suggest getting out of the house and go make friends. Develop hobbies, activities in which you have an interest. Join meetups.

Although I will tell you one thing. It does seem you have a father. If you're a minor, he is the one who will take care of you financially. If you're an adult, a mentor does not support you financially . A mentor does not take care of you or look out for you. The whole point of mentorship is to get you grow and to do for yourself. A mentor does not keep you in place.

I have never heard of an adult mentorship other than in a work or skilled environment. I really think you just need friends or other family members upon whom you can emotionally rely.

Thus, if you're under 18, look into Big Brothers/ Big Sisters If you're over 18, look to family or leave the house and make friends.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,600,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
If you're under 18, there is a nationwide Big Brothers/ Big Sister program.

Be a Big Brothers Big Sisters Celebrity

If you're older, do you have a grandparent, aunt or cousin with whom you are close ? If you talk only to yourself what does that mean ? The features you are looking for in a mentor are found in friends. I would suggest getting out of the house and go make friends. Develop hobbies, activities in which you have an interest. Join meetups.

Although I will tell you one thing. It does seem you have a father. If you're a minor, he is the one who will take care of you financially. If you're an adult, a mentor does not support you financially . A mentor does not take care of you or look out for you. The whole point of mentorship is to get you grow and to do for yourself. A mentor does not keep you in place.

I have never heard of an adult mentorship other than in a work or skilled environment. I really think you just need friends or other family members upon whom you can emotionally rely.

Thus, if you're under 18, look into Big Brothers/ Big Sisters If you're over 18, look to family or leave the house and make friends.
I'm an adult. I don't live at home, and I mostly support myself financially. Well, since I'm too old to have a mentor, perhaps I should just become one; I could be the big sister I always wanted.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
After my mom died, I thought that I could really use a big sister. Ideally, someone who could kind of pick up where she left off, but someone who didn't think I was as delicate as I made my parents think I was. She would be a perfect balance between buddy and bully, someone who possessed strengths in the areas where I'm weak, someone to fight and argue with, someone to cry to, someone to show me new things, and someone to look out for me. Since I'm an only child, though, it would be pretty hard for me to find a mentor like that. Right now, I'm my own big sister and my own mentor, but it gets lonely since I'm usually the only one I talk to.

I would like to hear your stories if you have a big sister or if you have a special mentor. Where did you find this person? What have they added to your life? What do you think I should do?
Idk what you should do except to suggest to ask yourself what you want to do?

I have a big sis in my life. She's actually younger. But, boy is she a meanie!! Not in a vindictive kind of way, but more like, "I don't put up with B.S. straight talking Korean mafia gangsta killa.. bang! bang!"

I think it's great to have people in your life who will show you tough love, and will be straight-up and honest with you. They'll tell you when they think you're acting stupid or when you need a reality check.

People like that are rare finds, but cool to have. I think of them as personal guides here to protect.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,981,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm an adult. I don't live at home, and I mostly support myself financially. Well, since I'm too old to have a mentor, perhaps I should just become one; I could be the big sister I always wanted.

This is a good idea. You'll get to know yourself better at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships