Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,198,325 times

Advertisements

A question for those of you (esp. guys) who managed to build a new circle of friends after the age of 35 in a new city - how did you do it? how long did it take you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:49 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,415,401 times
I moved to Denver at 34. I had one "anchor friend" in the city and through her I met several people who are now close friends. I joined a meetup group that fit my personality and met a few more people. I met a couple people on City-Data. I ran into another woman at a concert and we hit it off. I took some classes in dog sports and met a few more people. I struck up a conversation on a plane and made another couple of friends.

I was never a typical extrovert, but I left behind a large group of friends in my previous state. I wanted to have the same in my new home, so I basically seized on every opportunity that I could to connect with other people.

I would say joining an established Meetup group is a good first step. Join a league team maybe. Getting involved in an activity like some kind of dog sport is also good if you have a dog - those folks are very social. If I had more time on my hands, I would take a part-time job doing something I enjoyed - that's how I met my core group of friends in my home state back in my 20s. Now I make friends regularly by reaching out to friends of friends. If I hit it off with someone I meet through another friend, I usually friend them on facebook and invite them the next time I do something with a group that they might be interested in.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,171,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
A question for those of you (esp. guys) who managed to build a new circle of friends after the age of 35 in a new city - how did you do it? how long did it take you?
Can shorten this process substantially:

Men associate with one another primarily on commons interests, which may or may not include career stuff too.

All my pals, to a man, were met via grad school, motorcycling, or my line of work (which is also a hobby, aka an interest. No one lasts here unless they live and breathe information technology.)

If Meetup is the best way to do that, great. Helped that I had expert licenses in a couple of my interests, and instructed/tutored some of it. Former students are now friends, as well as peers. Doesn't matter what city; that would be the process I'd undertake in any new town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships