Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,317 times

Advertisements

Did anyone that's middle age notice their friends going through middle life crisis

I started noticing several of my friends over the years start having a tough time with getting older. I guess around early to mid 40s

One friend just thinks old now and talks that way too. It's werid especially when I get msg constantly referring to "when we were young and thin" (well I may be older too but I'm still thin) or I hear "oh, when someone wants to take my pic I'm careful of my double chin, you know we have that now" - she's the only one that has double chin - we were having a nice time at dinner until she asked the waiter "how old do you think we are" - ugh ! I can't stand that ! It was embarrasing to be sitting there because she was seeking some kind of validation and hopefully the waiter wouldn't guess right !? If anything screams mid-life crisis it's a question like that - a recent msg from her said she went to a Birthday Party for someone turning 60 and she said, "oh, how I dread that, we're getting old" I left a msg saying, Well that's a ways away and besides 60 is the new 40 ! I don't think about age as much as you do, it's all how you think and feel ! I could tell by her vm back to me that she was taken a little aback by my response. (I said it in a nice upbeat tone) What I really don't care for is the "we" no it's "she" Don't pull me in to your pity party. I'm a positive thinker and love life, I'm my own person.

Can anyone relate to this with their friends, if so, did you say anything ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
I would say everybody handles this situation differently and that is just her way of dealing with it. I think most people I know deals with this in their own private personal way. Nothing really stands out to tell the world they are going through a mid life crisis, except for myself. I went out and bought myself a mustang GT a few years. I just read for men, it last from 3 to 10 years and women suffer the crisis for 2 to 5 years.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I would say everybody handles this situation differently and that is just her way of dealing with it. I think most people I know deals with this in their own private personal way. Nothing really stands out to tell the world they are going through a mid life crisis, except for myself. I went out and bought myself a mustang GT a few years. I just read for men, it last from 3 to 10 years and women suffer the crisis for 2 to 5 years.
Thank you great post !

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM

35,086 posts, read 31,331,023 times
One of my uncles is having a mid-life crisis. Two wives in three years and well over half a million lost in divorce money, negative real estate equity, etc.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
I don't know anyone having a mid life crisis, maybe it's not anything me or any of my friends think about.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:16 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Did anyone that's middle age notice their friends going through middle life crisis

I started noticing several of my friends over the years start having a tough time with getting older. I guess around early to mid 40s

One friend just thinks old now and talks that way too. It's werid especially when I get msg constantly referring to "when we were young and thin" (well I may be older too but I'm still thin) or I hear "oh, when someone wants to take my pic I'm careful of my double chin, you know we have that now" - she's the only one that has double chin - we were having a nice time at dinner until she asked the waiter "how old do you think we are" - ugh ! I can't stand that ! It was embarrasing to be sitting there because she was seeking some kind of validation and hopefully the waiter wouldn't guess right !? If anything screams mid-life crisis it's a question like that - a recent msg from her said she went to a Birthday Party for someone turning 60 and she said, "oh, how I dread that, we're getting old" I left a msg saying, Well that's a ways away and besides 60 is the new 40 ! I don't think about age as much as you do, it's all how you think and feel ! I could tell by her vm back to me that she was taken a little aback by my response. (I said it in a nice upbeat tone) What I really don't care for is the "we" no it's "she" Don't pull me in to your pity party. I'm a positive thinker and love life, I'm my own person.

Can anyone relate to this with their friends, if so, did you say anything ?
I wish more people thought like you do. Hope you can keep your attitude up. The way I feel now I will outlive many who are around 40 because I take care of myself. especially eating the right foods to ward off cancer cells.

Reality is many look down on older people. Remind them in an unfair stereotype way that one shouldn't do this or that. It's sad when I go out to see very few older people at events they use to attend when they were younger. Like they are staying home waiting to die or something. Not I. I'll go out alone. I'd rather not but in the end, no big deal.

I have a good friend who to commit suicide on his 50th birthday so yeah, it happens.
Quote:
did you say anything ?
"You hurt those that were left behind, the people who care about you."

Last edited by John13; 08-21-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
when you hit 50 a lot of things are going on....
it seems every day you are hearing someone you know getting cancer, or dying from it....that hits you hard..

also a realization of mortality... you are coming around the bend in the home stretch...

you are feeling the aches and pains, and some pains scare the hell out of you ,,,

it seems yesterday you were 30 and still in good shape,,,now you avoid the mirrors

sometimes,,,its easier to laugh at your fears than to marinate in them...have some patience with these folks

mid life crisis is too much of a label,,,,,

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I wish more people thought like you do. Hope you can keep your attitude up. The way I feel now I will outlive many who are around 40 because I take care of myself. especially eating the right foods to ward off cancer cells.

Reality is many look down on older people. Remind them in an unfair stereotype way that one shouldn't do this or that. It's sad when I go out to see very few older people at events they use to attend when they were younger. Like they are staying home waiting to die or something. Not I. I'll go out alone. I'd rather not but in the end, no big deal.

I have a good friend who to commit suicide on his 50th birthday so yeah, it happens.

"You hurt those that were left behind, the people who care about you."
Ooops.

I left out "tried."
He tried to commit suicide. He had second thoughts and called 911.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I actually find it liberating not to worry about all the stupid stuff like appearance (not totally, of course, I won't walk out the house unbathed and uncombed and wearing my pajamas, but some things just aren't as important anymore). HEALTH is more important than mere looks at this age, and I've decided that I can't control some things in my life, but I can get more healthy, so I'm concentrating on that. We certainly can't stop aging!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I wish I had friends who have a midlife crisis so I could borrow their new sports car and make fun of their 20 years younger gf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships