Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 AM

15 posts, read 25,356 times

Advertisements

do you think that having a relationship with someone who you just text daily is healthy?
I don't ....but it sometimes gets very lonely...and I find myself longing for that kind of relationship.
Does it sound far fetched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 AM

89 posts, read 132,042 times
Don't get into a relationship because of loneliness. That's what a lot of people do, they only have one-two options who might not even like but end up being in an unhealthy relationship, which usually ends bad or in cheating. Plus, there's no reason to get into a texting relationship, what has the world come to these days, I'm in high school and I see couples holding each other's arms while on their phone, why ?Go out, meet some people, and eventually you'll find someone to have a real relationship with. The wait will be worth it. Also, I believe that someone feels lonely might be an indicator that this person is not comfortable with themselves, which is really bad, if you need someone else to feel happy and appreciated that's really bad. I love being alone. I read, I go to the GYM, I listen to music and I only need a girlfriend to be happier than I already am, I'm not going to be in a relationship (or texting relationship in your case) just because I feel lonely. Learn to love yourself and you will never feel lonely again

Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Just texting is not a 'relationship'... at least not in my eyes.
You need to talk; you need to see each other, to have physical contact - in order to connect and have a relationship.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:23 AM

15 posts, read 25,356 times
I don't think I explained my situation well.....what I meant is now a days...texting is a good way to stay in touch....talk to friends....have a some what cyber relationship.....I am not looking for a relationship....
ohh jeez.
I think this has made zero sense

Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,837,605 times
A "texting relationship" is an oxymoron in my book but I guess it depends upon what someone wants or expects from their relationships.

Me, I'm not even on FB. I want flesh and blood, face to face contact with reciprocity that doesn't involve a keyboard for anyone I consider a real friend especially if they live in a fairly close proximity.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Just texting is not a 'relationship'... at least not in my eyes.
You need to talk; you need to see each other, to have physical contact - in order to connect and have a relationship.
This. Lots of texting is the sign of someone who is not a fully-formed grownup.

I have a former colleague who is notorious for this. Here's a text he sent me in July: "So Lynn has been hiding/running with the kids since she left with them on Father's Day Night. There is really nothing I can do pretty much until Aug 12 for our first court date...custody hearing. I need your advice!"

So, ten seconds after receipt of this text message, I call the guy. No answer. I text him back, "Call me." No call. But he keeps sending me these SOSs over the next several weeks. But does he pick up the phone? Nope.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,213,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I have a former colleague who is notorious for this. Here's a text he sent me in July: "So Lynn has been hiding/running with the kids since she left with them on Father's Day Night. There is really nothing I can do pretty much until Aug 12 for our first court date...custody hearing. I need your advice!"

So, ten seconds after receipt of this text message, I call the guy. No answer. I text him back, "Call me." No call. But he keeps sending me these SOSs over the next several weeks. But does he pick up the phone? Nope.
Could it be that he wants some kind of phone log with dates, given the content? A parent hiding with the kids is something that should be documented. Maybe he's using texting to do that.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,979,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
A "texting relationship" is an oxymoron in my book but I guess it depends upon what someone wants or expects from their relationships.

Me, I'm not even on FB. I want flesh and blood, face to face contact with reciprocity that doesn't involve a keyboard for anyone I consider a real friend especially if they live in a fairly close proximity.
+1. My sister is a texting addict, and she is 31 years old. We live 150 miles apart, and it gets annoying constantly having a relationship with a keyboard. Not only is texting a much less efficient form of transmitting information, context and tone of voice are missing in texts and those verbal cues can be very important. I have complained to her about disliking texting many times, and she always says she hates talking on the phone. So we just don't communicate very much. Because of this, we have also had arguments because of misunderstandings via text. She uninvited me to her house for as a guest for her second wedding via A TEXT MESSAGE! I was angry at her a long time for that. Unlike younger people, I actually use my phone for phone calls

Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,670,201 times
No, a text-only relationship is not normal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Crazy!

I would just ask him why he won't call you or pick up your calls?

One thing I have noticed with a couple of friends now is that they prefer to have difficult, potentially emotionally-charged discussions by text. Perhaps it seems less threatening to them.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
We text very little and I have had to ask my Mother who is 73 years old to call me when she has lots of information she wants to pass on and not send me 27 texts that are all filled to the limit for the amount of space one has to text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships