Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,093,337 times

Advertisements

I am not sure this is in any way an "advice" thread. Just an odd evening last night when my mother in law stopped over. I am struggling to even figure out why.

Now just quick background, my mother in law and I have always gotten along, although I have also always had this sinking feeling there is something she doesn't like about me. She is an extremely difficult person to read for sincerity (which I am normally good at evaluating sincerity in people) too, which is in part why I am not overly trusting of her intentions combined with enough instances of her actions not following her words. (Nothing mean, but for example she likes to drop hints about wanting to see our daughter as if wanting us to make time to visit, which we love to do, but then when we try to arrange something they always have a weak excuse why they cannot).

So last night, she stops over to visit. Nice. Except, it seemed to turn into this lecture on why I may "like" Outlander, her favorite book series which is now being turned into a Starz special, and which my wife and I watched the first episode of together (although my wife never got into the books, she wanted to give the series a shot). After an hour, I never really figured out if she was trying to encourage me to give it a shot to be "a good husband" or discourage me from watching it because... well... I dunno. The whole tone of the conversation just made me feel like I should be on the defensive. (Honestly, I have no apology for sitting and watching a show with my wife that she is interested in and wants to see. I also like some drama type shows, so it is not unheard of for me to be interested in something of that sort and be relatively entertained. Especially if it is well written/directed/acted).

Anyway, of all the twists a conversation which was odd could turn, she then changed the subject to politics and religion, their interaction, and the supreme court. Now, I just do not discuss politics with my in laws as we are fairly opposite our viewpoints in this area. Here it felt like she was really trying to prod me and get me going. Which made me more suspicious of our first topic.

As if she came to try and push my buttons?

Eventually her and my wife moved on to complaining a little about work, she said she had a great evening, and went home.

Afterwards my wife was as confused as I am, and had no idea what precipitated it all.

Just a strange night of conversation I suppose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,317,755 times
Maybe she was just lonely and decided on the spur of the moment to drop in.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM

8,211 posts, read 8,440,597 times
She's practicing her skills at having adult conversations with her grown kids. Encourage it.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 AM

8,101 posts, read 10,149,622 times
Never, ever, never discuss politics or religion with the MIL.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Never, ever, never discuss politics or religion with the MIL.
What? That's ridiculous. Family and friends are absolutely who you can discuss these things with; unless of course, you can't have a calm logical conversation where you listen to opposing views and are able to recognize the views as valid, if not your opinion.

You shouldn't discuss these things with strangers.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,778,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What? That's ridiculous. Family and friends are absolutely who you can discuss these things with; unless of course, you can't have a calm logical conversation where you listen to opposing views and are able to recognize the views as valid, if not your opinion.

You shouldn't discuss these things with strangers.

Nowadays these discussions too often lead to arguments and bad feelings. The political rhetoric has become more and more polarizing and isolating over the years, and the notion of "agree to disagree" is nearly nonexistent. For example, if you believe the ideology of those you disagree with is racist, intolerant and hateful in what way are you inclined to recognize it as valid?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,348,311 times
I wouldn't read much more into it than a conversation of some sort.

This book/TV series really is polarizing though. don't see why. seems those who really love them, love them and cross beyond the boundary of personal taste.

so maybe she started off just wanting to visit and just wandered a little over that personal interest boundary. became an advocate maybe instead of a conversation.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,329,965 times
Don't over analyze her visit. Maybe she just wanted to see all of you. Be glad she feels comfortable enough to come over without a really important reason or plans.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,724,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Maybe she was just lonely and decided on the spur of the moment to drop in.
It's called a telephone. It is rude to just drop in on people, relative or not.

You call first and say " is this a good time to come over for a visit?".

Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,452,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's called a telephone. It is rude to just drop in on people, relative or not.

You call first and say " is this a good time to come over for a visit?".
Every family has its rules and courtesies. Mine, we all came and went through each other's houses at will, and if someone was busy, they just said so.

But in this case, the MIL sounds pretty socially inept. That may be why the OP just gets a sense of insincerity. She may simply be unsure of what she is trying to express or how to discuss things appropriately.

Frankly, OP, I think your wife should have taken the lead on this and steered the conversation to less treacherous waters. Ask her if she can do that the next time the going gets a little weird. You could even have a signal between you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships