Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM

419 posts, read 846,183 times

Advertisements

Does it have to be mutual for me to call someone my best friend, if that person just considers me a friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times
No, I have several great friends, one I've been friends with for 35+ years. Of those 5 great friends, 4 would probably say I am they're best friend. MY best friend is my husband.

I'm sure thru FB & stuff, they see the others refer to me as they're best friend, but they all know I love them and I'm a great friend. They all know of each other and have at one time or another met, 3 of them live in different states.

In fact, they all know so much about each other thru me, 2 have daughters close in age and I relay what craziness one or the other is up to, they appreciate the fact that their not going thru it alone, knowing somewhere someone else is going thru the same thing.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My experience is that best friends are mutual.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM

341 posts, read 455,464 times
WHen I was younger, yes, definitely mutual. And I see this with my daughters too. (ages 5-12). Now that I'm older…well, first of all, I don't feel the need to rank my friends…but I have a couple of "best" friends…that are not part of the same friend circle. I guess if you are talking about friends in the same circle, it could possible be awkward to call one a best friend that didn't consider YOU her best friend back.

My "best" friends all live very far away from me though. So, obviously I don't expect them not to have other "best" friends. Maybe if they were local it would be different. Or if I were still 16

Old 09-06-2014, 12:03 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I don't think it matters. Social relationships are so fluid that people don't have to have be the top dog in someone else's eyes to have a true feeling of closeness or mutual admiration.

True, some folks form a pair bond, but it's okay if it isn't symmetrical.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 922,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't think it matters. Social relationships are so fluid that people don't have to have be the top dog in someone else's eyes to have a true feeling of closeness or mutual admiration.

True, some folks form a pair bond, but it's okay if it isn't symmetrical.
Agree. Back in 2005 I had a best friend that probably considered me a very good friend. He lived with his best friend but because they worked different shifts, they rarely hung out together. My best friend and I hung out at least 3x per week, until I traded up to a new best friend - my girlfriend.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:30 PM

102 posts, read 180,910 times
The concept of "best friends" should remain undeclared unless it's been pointedly discussed between said friends. I was present when, at an evening gathering of friends, a "best friendship" was publicly declared unilaterally, and the resulting awkwardness was excruciating.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Default I was going to say the same thing, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My experience is that best friends are mutual.
I was going to say the same thing, however when I really think about it there are at least 2 people who probably consider me their best friend, and I on the other hand just consider them friends.

One of them is this woman: https://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...l#post34649432

I enjoy her company and everytime we get together we have tons of fun, but her religious and political views are totally different than mine. After she took me out for my birthday, she lamented that she didn't see me for a whole month afterwards.

I felt bad, but there are other people who I feel closer to that I would rather spend time with.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I don't know if there has to be perfect reciprocity, but the difference in feeling should not be too strong.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:58 AM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
I read a study where they found that the majority of the time best friends are NOT mutual. So I wouldn't worry about it if you are your best friend's second best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships