Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,750,086 times

Advertisements

I've always been "The Black Sheep" of the family. Growing up, I was often told that I was an oddball. For many years, it made me sad because if there's one place you should be able to fit in, it's within your own family.

However, at age 55, I've come to realize - it ain't happening.

My parents have been dead for many years, so my siblings and their children now constitute The Family. And I *really* do not fit in with much of that crowd, despite many years of trying extra hard.

I've come to realize that being "authentic" and sincere is a lot more important than fitting in - even with family.

Part of it might be that I'm a writer, and we're the original starving artists. That doesn't bode well when you come from a long line of folks that place a high premium on financial success and intellectual prowess.

So, that's my story.

Anyone else?

PS. I'm horrified to see I have a typo in the title and can't edit it out! ARGH!!

Last edited by RosemaryT; 10-29-2014 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 AM

22,637 posts, read 47,790,777 times
I come from a family of oddballs. We are all black sheep... and it makes gatherings very interesting!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:47 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,750,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I come from a family of oddballs. We are all black sheep... and it makes gatherings very interesting!
I envy you! Being the lone artist in a room full of science-minded types is challenging.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:15 PM

13 posts, read 19,886 times
I'm also the black sheep. But not out of choice.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,277,795 times
I'm the black sheep in a family of black sheep. I wrote them all off years ago. I want nothing from them, need nothing from them, and see them as a horrid and toxic bunch of people I've cut off all contact with years ago. I have far better things to do than deal with their dysfunctional and horrid mentalities. Life has been far simpler and far more peaceful since I cut them out of my life.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:30 PM

26,240 posts, read 49,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
....PS. I'm horrified to see I have a typo in the title and can't edit it out! ARGH!!
Any Moderator can fix a thread title, all you have to do is click on that triangular icon (Report Bad Post) and tell them what you want to do. My wife read this and I had her send me the link, so I'll fix it for you.

As far as advice, you gotta be true to yourself. My wife and I are "societal" black sheep....no kids, no religion, no pets, no drugs, no tobacco, no Facebook, no marijuana, no Twitter, no smartphones .... we don't fit in with the bulk of a society where about 75% of all Americans do have kids, and/or pets, and/or social media, and/or claim to be of a certain religion. Count us out on all those things....black sheep R us.

PS: Yes, we moved across the country to a new place and her family thinks we deserted them for no good reason.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM

22,637 posts, read 47,790,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I envy you! Being the lone artist in a room full of science-minded types is challenging.
Yep.
You would be my son! And he is one of the most laidback, easygoing guys you'd ever want to meet.

But, as I said, we are all the black sheep. We all have our oddities. We are all different in regards to religion, politics, anything that incites (LOL!), but we all get along remarkably well. And we all truly enjoy each others company.

I guess we just learned to accept each other, warts and all!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,147,790 times
I'm a classic black sheep/middle child. Siblings got As, I got Bs and Cs. On grades alone I was in the family dog house since 7th grade. My status in the family was a distant last, my father would regularly stop listening to me the moment mom or sis started talking about anything.

But as I grew up, I realized that every human being is x% A-hole, and by 30 I officially realized that it wasn't me, it was them. I no longer took parental advice because it was too often ignorant or flawed. Yet, they were the only family I had, and I wasn't going to go estranged from them.

Now, I'm just past 50, dad is gone but the rest of us are here and at X-mas we'll get together again.

Funny thing, I'm by far the most successful professionally between the siblings. Brother with a BS in Engineering and MBA at celebrated schools was a wholesaler at best, now barely making minimum wage (but his wife supports him along with family money). Sister, also a graduate of a good school, dropped her career early to have kids and has lost all confidence to get back into the work world.

Anyway, they are all doing fine, mostly happy people. I like to think I, as the placator, team-player, only non-selfish member of the family, had alot to do with them developing all their self esteem...which helped them land financially supportive spouses.

So being the repressed black sheep of the family didn't bring me down though it probably dooms me to never getting married. I think the loss of respect/faith in your own loved ones/housemates, makes me incapable of spending long periods of time with anyone. Mom and sis could be cool for hours but totally change and get ugly over nothing. So my past girlfriends have all been dropped because they aren't seen as being any different from them. 3 months, I'm done. Yeah, intimacy issues.

Parents, please don't place too high an emphasis on grades in school. Honors Listers can end up slackers, and shaky students can end up with nice resumes.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM

251 posts, read 300,099 times
My mom and I are the black sheep of the fam. I don't bother going to family reunions, holiday dinners anymore. I stopped that in 2004. I did however get suckered into going to my grandma birthday party in 2009. She's the ring leader of the anti-black sheep movement in the family. Doesn't bother one bit as it did when I was a kid. I was made fun of throughout school for being myself and treated oddly by the family because my views are different. Just another day.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:03 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,165,719 times
LOL: that black sheep even mention they're "black sheep" is amusing. Another take on it, from an "Only":

Look at the bright side: maybe you're not psychopathic. Psychopaths are the ultimate narcissists, and spend little if-any time reflecting on the "emotional validity" of what they do, or don't-do, and how it affects others.

I was the only child of parents who were a unit, but thought very differently. They never should have been married to begin with. It became abundantly clear by the time I was about 12 I wanted no part of dysfunction, so I detached fast as I could to whatever extent practicable. My mom's people were 60 miles away, and a messed-up bunch if there ever was one. My dad's people, 750 miles away and seen very seldom. Thus there never was any "family" to speak of.

They're all dead to me, parents gone lo over these years too of natural causes. Wouldn't say, "black sheep;" rather "checked-out sheep who decided to become a wolf instead." Probably the first time I've ever even thought about it.

Wouldn't suggest anyone who self-defines that way spending more than 5 min worrying on it, either. Detach from all of it, leave the drama straight back to whatever version of Hell it came from. Yes, that's unrealistic for those from bigger families, I'm sure, but it sure is liberating if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships