Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,573 times

Advertisements

My husband and I rented a 2/1 back in March. We love the home and the location. The landlords are an elderly couple who do it for a living. I believe they have several homes that they rent out. They have never been anything but nice and gracious to us. We have not have any problems with the property at all, but even we did, we are pretty confident that our landlords would come out and fix it right away. In exchange, I believe we are excellent tenants; we pay our rent on time, keep the place clean and maintain the lawn, etc.

The issue is that the landlord visits our home a bit too much... At least, we think he does. In the lease it states that once a month he (the husband landlord) will enter the house and change the filter. Initially I thought this was a bit odd. I have rented two homes in the past and obviously we know how to change as filter. Regardless, we agreed. The day he comes is normally around when the rent is due but he's not consistent. One thing that bothers me if even if we don't answer he just opens the door... I found this out when I had fallen asleep on the couch on a day off from work. I didn't answer the door because I didn't feel like it and was kinda half asleep, half awake. Then I heard the key in the door and he opened it. He apologized and said he didn't know anyone was home because the car was gone. That day my husband had taken the car while I stayed home. He changed the filter then left.

Well, this has happened more frequently. We spend most of our time in the back where the TV room is so it can be hard to hear the door. Well the always just comes in... Once I was in the shower and the bathroom is right in front of where the attic is and where he changes the filter. I'm NOT accusing him of peeping as I honestly know that's not going on, but it is awkward to step out and be surprised with someone in the house. He never lingers, just changes the filter and leaves.

So recently he was doing some work out in our backyard because there's a shed back there and he said he wanted to fix the roof. Okay, fine. Well, my husband stays at home for the time being since he was injured at work so he's out on leave at the moment. He's at home during the day. He has a friend that comes over daily (this person only works part time nights) during the day and they play pool, play video games or smoke on the porch. Landlord recently approached hubby and told him since that guy moved in he would have to pay a deposit and get on the lease. My husband explained he hasn't, he's just a friend that hangs out quite a bit. Landlord says whenever he drives by the sees the friend's car there. Husband says landlord was nice about it but acted like he was convinced the friend lives here.

Well... The guy doesn't live here or sleep over... They just hang out during the day. I guess I just feel weird having to justify guests. It didn't say anything about that in the lease. My mom sleeps over sometimes but she doesn't live here or have a room.

Like I said... Zero problems other than all this going on. Is this normal? Should I expect this everywhere? Like I said we have rented places previously and NEVER saw our landlords lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times
It's not normal but it happens. I've been in your shoes more then once. It's the number one reason I prefer to rent through a property management company over individual owners. It boils down to professional boundaries. Your landlord sounds just like one I had in College. If he wanted to come in your apartment he was coming in. Several times a month I would find myself locked out after class because I didn't have a key for one of the deadbolt locks. He did and would lock it on his way out. He also would leave post it notes with request or cleaning suggestions. Now before I get analyzed it may have been a little messy on occasion but I wasn't a hoarder or leaving food out etc.. I may be messy but I'm not dirty..The prior tenant warned me about finding him standing in the apartment upon getting out of the shower or taking naps as well. I didn't get the vibe that he was a pervert, but it was obvious that he considered the apartments his property and his house( former SFH divided separately and he lived adjacent ). There wasn't anybody who was going to deny him his right to control his house regardless of any rental laws. That experience was a big lesson.

If the landlord used to live in that home,run. No tenant will ever deserve the house or take care of it properly like they did. For some it's like you married their daughter and by renting their "home" you are expected to be familiar as family. Your family in the sense that they want to know all about you. The more your life style differs with theirs,the less they trust you and start looking for reasons your not right to rent from them. Your just not the kind of person they want to be close too. That's the crux of the problem. Your a renter and there doesn't need to be forced personal relationship between the two.

The other phenomena I've noticed with onsite or local private landlords is they often aren't financially equipped to rent out property. If you can't afford to fix things properly or never employ professional service people it says volumes. Then you get the ones who start harassing you a week ahead of the first wanting to know if you have the rent under the guise of asking, what day they should come by to pick it up, or if you mailed it. It's usually less about my payment history then it is their over extended financial situation. If you can't lose rent on a house for at least 6 months without going in the hole,you aren't prepared to be a landlord.

I've also had the one who comes in person to collect the rent every month just to nose around your house. It's the opposite of subtle. The same woman filled me in on all the gossip about every single person on the street and every former tenant that still lived in the area. My bf at the time remarked that she must really like and trust us to want to warn us about problem neighbors. I made sure he understood that it wasn't that at all..They aren't all problem people they were people that she had created a problem with. Every single one and the next tenant would be listening to a similar story about us. It ended exactly as I predicted with no surprise.

Last edited by cyn7cyn; 11-04-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 08:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Its not normal for landlord to enter your home without your permission. I have lived in apartments & when I make a complaint about maintenance issue, they always ask my permission to enter my home & a convenient time to do so. I would be uncomfortable like you if they entered my home without any notice, unless its an emergency like fire in the next apartment or flooding, etc. Why don't you request them to let you know in advance when they will be entering your home. Communicate through text messages if you are comfortable sharing your number with them. I always find it easier to respond through texts rather than attend a call.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:13 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Look at your state landlord/tenant laws. In most states, the LL is required to give 24 hours notice for entry (unless it's an emergency).

So tell your LL to give you 24 hours notice of when he'll be entering your home. What's "normal" is that your LL adhere to the law.

If I were in that situation, I would place door stops or something to block the door from opening when I am inside and require the LL to give 24 hours notice of entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Its not normal for landlord to enter your home without your permission.
LL does not need permission to access the home, they just have to give notice that they are doing so.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Post in the Rental Forum (sub-forum of Real Estate)

Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times
Most landlords formally agree with the law. It's just they justify breaking it by viewing their indiscretions as necessary exceptions to the rule.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Uncertainty,
I would sooo be moving from there. He is always going to be
a PITA. That's just the way it is.
I LOVE my privacy, so I would be out looking for a new place as soon
as I could without breaking the lease.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,726 times
It's illegal to enter without the renter's permission. I would tell him that I will change the filter from here on out, and if he insists on coming by he must always knock first. I would move, sounds like a real pain.

I don't miss renting.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
When may a landlord enter rental property? Is advance notice required?

Landlords can enter rented premises only in the following circumstances:
  • to make needed repairs (or in some states, just to determine whether repairs are necessary)
  • in cases of emergency, or
  • to show the property to prospective new tenants or purchasers.
Several states also allow landlords or property managers the right of entry during a tenant's extended absence (often defined as seven days or more) to maintain the property as necessary and to inspect for damage and needed repairs. In most cases, a landlord may not enter just to check up on the tenant and the rental property.

States that regulate landlords' access require landlords to provide advance notice (usually 24 hours) before entering a rental unit. (See Nolo's Chart: Notice Requirements to Enter Rental Property, State by State.) In most states, without advance notice, a landlord or manager may enter rented premises while a tenant is living there only in an emergency -- such as a fire or serious water leak -- or when the tenant gives permission.

Since you have given the landlord PERMISSION (lease), you might not be able to refer to the law. I am not sure.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncertainty View Post
My husband and I rented a 2/1 back in March. We love the home and the location. The landlords are an elderly couple who do it for a living. I believe they have several homes that they rent out. They have never been anything but nice and gracious to us. We have not have any problems with the property at all, but even we did, we are pretty confident that our landlords would come out and fix it right away. In exchange, I believe we are excellent tenants; we pay our rent on time, keep the place clean and maintain the lawn, etc.

The issue is that the landlord visits our home a bit too much... At least, we think he does. In the lease it states that once a month he (the husband landlord) will enter the house and change the filter. Initially I thought this was a bit odd. I have rented two homes in the past and obviously we know how to change as filter. Regardless, we agreed. The day he comes is normally around when the rent is due but he's not consistent. One thing that bothers me if even if we don't answer he just opens the door... I found this out when I had fallen asleep on the couch on a day off from work. I didn't answer the door because I didn't feel like it and was kinda half asleep, half awake. Then I heard the key in the door and he opened it. He apologized and said he didn't know anyone was home because the car was gone. That day my husband had taken the car while I stayed home. He changed the filter then left.

Well, this has happened more frequently. We spend most of our time in the back where the TV room is so it can be hard to hear the door. Well the always just comes in... Once I was in the shower and the bathroom is right in front of where the attic is and where he changes the filter. I'm NOT accusing him of peeping as I honestly know that's not going on, but it is awkward to step out and be surprised with someone in the house. He never lingers, just changes the filter and leaves.

So recently he was doing some work out in our backyard because there's a shed back there and he said he wanted to fix the roof. Okay, fine. Well, my husband stays at home for the time being since he was injured at work so he's out on leave at the moment. He's at home during the day. He has a friend that comes over daily (this person only works part time nights) during the day and they play pool, play video games or smoke on the porch. Landlord recently approached hubby and told him since that guy moved in he would have to pay a deposit and get on the lease. My husband explained he hasn't, he's just a friend that hangs out quite a bit. Landlord says whenever he drives by the sees the friend's car there. Husband says landlord was nice about it but acted like he was convinced the friend lives here.

Well... The guy doesn't live here or sleep over... They just hang out during the day. I guess I just feel weird having to justify guests. It didn't say anything about that in the lease. My mom sleeps over sometimes but she doesn't live here or have a room.

Like I said... Zero problems other than all this going on. Is this normal? Should I expect this everywhere? Like I said we have rented places previously and NEVER saw our landlords lol.
you dug your own grave by agreeing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships