Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:59 PM

4,257 posts, read 4,781,902 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying I really dislike conflict and really treasure peace and quiet. And the holidays are the only time I have this amount of time off from work.

My family is very small...we lost my grandfather over the summer making it even smaller. My mother, aunt and uncle live in a small town in SC and I live in Chicago. Since moving to Chicago a couple of years ago I usually only go home for Christmas instead of both Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year my mom said she wanted to visit our aunt in Charleston, WV for Thanksgiving and she relayed to me that my aunt said I could join them and would be happy for me to.

So, I decided to go and confirmed with my aunt I would be there. Well, it would take a lot of explaining to get across this point about my mom, but let's just say she has some personality disorder issues. Anything/everything sets her off and you never know what you've done to offend her until she either stops talking to you and/or goes off on you. About 2 weeks ago I told my Aunt in SC that my mother planned on going to WV and I was going to join her there. I think my mom found out I told and is mad at me. Because I've been calling her for over a week with no return call. The only time I heard from her was 3 days ago when I text her Happy Birthday and she responded with two words. (Mind you I did try to contact her about 6 times that day but she didn't answer or return the calls.)

My mom considers herself to be "private" and might be mad that I told my Aunt about her plans. I'm 90% sure that's why she won't return my calls. My mom was supposed to leave today to head to WV; she was going to take a bus which takes like 9 hours so I was trying to reach her before she left. I also wanted to talk to her all week because I was going to order Thanksgiving dinner for us and bring it up there and I had until today to place the order. Now I'm kinda SOL with that.

I'm so TIRED of going through drama around the holidays with her. I got a new job this year that's pretty stressful and Thanksgiving/Christmas is my main time to relax. Would it be wrong if I just cancelled my plans to go? If she's acting like this now chances are she's going to be difficult/awkward to be around when I get there. I absolutely HATE to cancel on my aunt but I really just want to have a peaceful, relaxing and drama free holiday. I honestly don't want to drive 7 hours each way anywhere in this cold to be around anyone's attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,949,161 times
Cancel. Your aunt knows your mom and will understand.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,236,332 times
Yep, cancel. And while I'm not a fan of dishonesty, if push comes to shove, you can always tell your mom that you have to work the next day because you're the new person and couldn't get the day off.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,925,873 times
Yep relax. You deserve it! And while I am a truthful person, sometimes faking a bad cold is just worth keeping the peace in a family.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:42 PM

4,257 posts, read 4,781,902 times
Wow...I'm kinda surprised everyone has said to cancel so far. I was expecting more responses along the lines of "It's your mom and your family...put aside how you feel and go."

I guess I'm struggling with the idea of not seeing my aunt who was really happy about the thought of me coming.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,925,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Wow...I'm kinda surprised everyone has said to cancel so far. I was expecting more responses along the lines of "It's your mom and your family...put aside how you feel and go."

I guess I'm struggling with the idea of not seeing my aunt who was really happy about the thought of me coming.
But...are you going to enjoy it, feel recharged, etc? Maybe in future you will be able to go...but trips out of guilt and pity aren't recharging.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
I wouldn't lie or make up excuses to your mother. Heck, Iwouldn't lie to your aunt either.

I'd say, "Mom, I've been trying to contact you for days, and you're giving me one of your silent treatments. I gotta tell you, I'm sick of those. I'm sick of the drama. So - this Thanksgiving, I'm staying in Chicago. I'm not going to drive 14 hours in terrible weather to put up with drama. And to clarify - I WOULD have been there if it wasn't for the weird silent treatment thing you pulled.

Now - let's talk about Christmas. I really want to spend it with you and our family. I am looking forward to it! But I need to let you know on the front end - I am not spending my holiday time with family putting up silent treatments or ragging on me or other unnecessary drama, so if it starts up, I'm just going to leave. I won't throw a fit, and I won't cry and argue and slam doors. I'll just leave. I don't want to do that - I want us to enjoy the holidays together. So - those are my boundaries. Let's enjoy Christmas together!"

Old 11-23-2014, 06:21 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,695,445 times
Sorry, edited after rereading.
Cancel, let your mom and aunt know that the back and forth is too stressful and you'd like to relax near home.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:37 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,163,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wouldn't lie or make up excuses to your mother. Heck, Iwouldn't lie to your aunt either.

I'd say, "Mom, I've been trying to contact you for days, and you're giving me one of your silent treatments. I gotta tell you, I'm sick of those. I'm sick of the drama. So - this Thanksgiving, I'm staying in Chicago. I'm not going to drive 14 hours in terrible weather to put up with drama. And to clarify - I WOULD have been there if it wasn't for the weird silent treatment thing you pulled.

Now - let's talk about Christmas. I really want to spend it with you and our family. I am looking forward to it! But I need to let you know on the front end - I am not spending my holiday time with family putting up silent treatments or ragging on me or other unnecessary drama, so if it starts up, I'm just going to leave. I won't throw a fit, and I won't cry and argue and slam doors. I'll just leave. I don't want to do that - I want us to enjoy the holidays together. So - those are my boundaries. Let's enjoy Christmas together!"
This ^^^. Just tell her this.

And next time, don't share news that's not yours to share, especially if you know your mom is such a baby about that kind of thing.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:57 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,074,563 times
Stop chasing her. You're feeding into her drama. Go if you want to, knowing you can't be responsible for her behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships