Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

My mother (1919-2004) called her father (1887-1991) "Daddy." It sounded nice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I think Mommy and Daddy are fine until kids are about 5 or 6.

After that - Mom and Dad.

I absolutely cringe when I hear an adult using Mommy or Daddy - yuck.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Am I the only one that cringes when I hear grown kids call their father, "Daddy"?

I don't really think, even if I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my father, I would have called him Daddy in my adult years.
It's fine if a young-ish female does it, even into adulthood. But for boys...I think I stopped calling my dad "daddy" around 4.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sorry.... you could not be MORE wrong in your assessment......

I lost my father when I was 20 years old.... but would still be calling him Daddy today at age 54 if I could..... and when I speak of him, he is Daddy......

my mother was always momma.... and still is when I speak of her....
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. You are an exception because you lost your father when you were quite young so naturally when you think of him it would be from that period of your life.
Aside from situations such as yours I stand by my original post.
I cannot imagine losing my dad at that age...or ever. Sorry, again.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 PM

102 posts, read 152,393 times
uhhhhh.. yea?

sounds like you've got some personal issues other people don't have (with their daddies)

Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 PM

18 posts, read 22,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Am I the only one that cringes when I hear grown kids call their father, "Daddy"?

I don't really think, even if I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my father, I would have called him Daddy in my adult years.

i dont know where you live, or where you are from originally

its QUITE the norm in the south.....

ps : i['m not a southerner, just grew up and spent my formative years there

ive seen 45 yr old BAD - ass men w/ tats and piercings and all call their father "daddy". no-one thought twice about it.....

Old 11-27-2014, 08:59 PM

102 posts, read 152,393 times
If mine was still alive I think I'd still be calling him daddy. When I talk about him I say daddy. So.. yea probably. They just don't have as many good names for dads like they do for moms. Dad... pop... pops... father.. what else.. none of those fit when I think of my father they're all too stiff. They need something in between Daddy and father.

Now calling my mother mommy as an adult would feel weirder. I think I stoppped doing that after elementary school. I call her Ma.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
Along with Daddy, I called my dad "Papa" from time to time, which he tolerated. None of us ever called him "Father." His sister called him "Brother." Not weird, but I don't know of anyone else who called their brother "Brother."

In our case it was more what he wanted. He wanted "Daddy" and that's what we called him. He died when we were relatively young (earlyish adulthood) and so we're stuck referring to him as Daddy. I don't care how old I get, he'll always be Daddy.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I know every family's different, but I am personally glad my adult kids don't call me Ma. To me, that sounds like some old lady wearing a bonnet and going out every day to chop wood and feed chickens! No offense - for real. It's just not me. But I don't know many southerners who call their parents Ma and Pa or Ma and Pop like apparently is common in other regions. Most people I know call their parents Mom and Dad, or Mama and Dad or Mama and Daddy, even as adults.

I call my parents (in their 70s) Mom and Dad but when I'm feeling very affectionate I call my dad Daddy. He and I know it's a "pet name" and not what I usually call him. I call my inlaws by their first names. My husband calls them Mom and Dad. He calls my parents by their first names.

My adult kids call me Mama - which actually sort of surprises me. The girls call their dad Daddy but the boys call him Dad.

The funny thing is that all of them but one spell it as Mama. My artsy one spells it Momma. Go figgur.

My youngest son sort of alternates between Mama and Mother. Sometimes he calls me Mother Dearest as a joke. Hmmmm. LOL! It always sounds so crazy when he says it! But I sort of like the Mother thing. It's odd - he didn't start doing that till he was grown.

Grandkids call me MiMi.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I called my parents Mommy and Daddy when I was very little, then Mom and Dad. Mom passed away almost 14 years ago; Dad is 90. I can't really imagine calling them anything else.

Our kids call us Mama and Daddy. I don't care for Mommy myself and I REALLY don't like to hear adults call their mothers Mommy. Daddy does not strike a nerve the same way, somehow. It sounds fine to me.

One pattern I have noticed with some people my age and older is that they call their parents "Mother" and "Dad." It doesn't make sense to me--why Mother, but not Father? Dad, but not Mom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships