Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:19 PM

399 posts, read 687,401 times

Advertisements

Pet peeve of the day.

I am around 104 lbs. I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholestrol. Occasionally in conversation I admit I allow myself 'treats' such as ice cream, chocolate. I eat red meat. I'm not into the organic fads.
Often there will be someone to pipe in to 'teach' me how to eat. I look at them- no doubt overweight and struggling with health issues. ????? wtf. seriously?
Obviously what they are doing is not working for them. What I am doing is working for me. And they think I'm the one who needs to eat healthier.

It's not always about eating healthy, people. It's about eating too much 'healthy' foods that makes it unhealthy all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM

20,461 posts, read 14,829,176 times
You could have come straight from a comment I just made in Parenting (EDIT...or was it Current Events? You know, forget it I can't remember. Someplace! It was someplace...) about this very thing.

I've experienced it often.

I like those frosted honey bun things...don't eat them all the time but sometimes I get a package of them and snack on them at work. This woman sitting near me would say something like, "Do you KNOW how many CALORIES are in that??" with this disgusted look on her face.

My reply is always,

"You know...I've never seen a calorie before. I'm not sure that they exist."

(Second edit: ...it was Current Events...man my brain, it's like swiss cheese sometimes...talking about kids and lunches and stuff. Same notion, everybody thinks they're an expert.

The experts aren't experts.)

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 01-27-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,096,922 times
I took a health and nutrition class at the community college.

At the last class meeting, a nutritionist showed up to teach us about proper nutrition and eating. She was so overweight, she had arm fat hanging down. The whole class just sat there, huge question marks on every face, wondering, while she told us how and what we should eat. I was burning to ask her why she doesn't follow her own advice.

It's like a dentist with rotten teeth telling you to floss regularly.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,379,013 times
Yeah. Isn't it funny how that works? It makes you just want to hold a mirror up to them and say this: "Tell me, what do you see?!"

Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,347,301 times
Is it advice about eating you have a problem with, or just getting advice from fat people?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,904,639 times
I don't get preaching, I usually get the good-natured "Where do you put it all?!" I wouldn't think of commenting on anyone else's food choices, though, but some people are presumptuous.

Regardless, the world would be a better place if people minded their own business.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM

20,461 posts, read 14,829,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Is it advice about eating you have a problem with, or just getting advice from fat people?
I don't mind advice if it's like, "You know, I read that blah, blah, blah..." just to be informative or have a conversation.

But when people tell me what is OK to eat and what isn't like my diet is somehow their business, and what am I supposed to do, thank them and tell them I don't know how I've survived this long without their brilliant input on my food choices? It's the very critical and know-it-all attitude. From anyone of any weight. It's annoying.

You want to go gluten-carb-dairy-sugar-meat-GMO-transfat free? Be my guest. Hope ya don't starve. But don't hassle me about my sandwich.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,347,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't mind advice if it's like, "You know, I read that blah, blah, blah..." just to be informative or have a conversation.

But when people tell me what is OK to eat and what isn't like my diet is somehow their business, and what am I supposed to do, thank them and tell them I don't know how I've survived this long without their brilliant input on my food choices? It's the very critical and know-it-all attitude. From anyone of any weight. It's annoying.

You want to go gluten-carb-dairy-sugar-meat-GMO-transfat free? Be my guest. Hope ya don't starve. But don't hassle me about my sandwich.
I agree with you. I don't like people telling me what kind of diet I should follow. But whether they are fat or thin doesn't matter. Technically, a person's weight has no bearing on how much they know about nutrition. If they are obese, it's because of their actions, not what they know. Conversely, I wouldn't presume that every thin person is an expert on weight loss either.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Pet peeve of the day.

I am around 104 lbs. I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholestrol. Occasionally in conversation I admit I allow myself 'treats' such as ice cream, chocolate. I eat red meat. I'm not into the organic fads.
Often there will be someone to pipe in to 'teach' me how to eat. I look at them- no doubt overweight and struggling with health issues. ????? wtf. seriously?
Obviously what they are doing is not working for them. What I am doing is working for me. And they think I'm the one who needs to eat healthier.

It's not always about eating healthy, people. It's about eating too much 'healthy' foods that makes it unhealthy all over again.
No one gets to tell you how to eat. But I'd just laugh at them if they tried to advise me!

The thing is, those of us who are overweight often know a lot about how to eat healthily, but we don't follow our own advice! So I don't advise anyone outside my family. I am happy to discuss this, with others who are interested. But no one needs to tell anyone else how to eat.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,414,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
a nutritionist showed up to teach us about proper nutrition and eating. She was so overweight, she had arm fat hanging down. The whole class just sat there, huge question marks on every face, wondering, while she told us how and what we should eat. I was burning to ask her why she doesn't follow her own advice.

It's like a dentist with rotten teeth telling you to floss regularly.

Great post Eve!

Reminds me of the overweight dietitians and nurses where I work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships