Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,727,435 times

Advertisements

So anyway my Thanksgiving with my SO mom was cut short when she announced I was a ***** etc. We left and had a nice Thanksgiving at home. His mother is now claiming I put poison in her sugar bowl making her have to go to the hospital. How do I handle such a crazy thing? Clearly there is something going on, but, I don't think I need to subject myself to that. My poor SO is simply so upset about this, but, very very supportive of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,064,606 times
Is your mom possibly suffering from dementia/Alzheimer's? It is very common for dementia patients to make claims their relatives or caregivers are trying to kill them. That was the very first thing that jumped into my mind!

If that's the case, it's the disease talking. Don't take it seriously.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Has she been known to make accusations such as this (paranoia) in the past with anyone else?

Have you spent much time around her? Has she always disliked you?

One of the very common markers of certain mental illnesses is thinking others are poisoning them.

In reality, it may be she dislikes you so much, she wished she could have poisoned you and she has thus reconstructed her own crazy thoughts into YOUR poisoning HER.

In any case, this sounds like a mental health issue more than a relationship issue.

EDIT: Just saw what Yellowsnow wrote and she is absolutely correct -- Alzheimers patients can become very suspicious, paranoid and also often fixate on being poisoned/killed.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In any case, this sounds like a mental health issue more than a relationship issue.

EDIT: Just saw what Yellowsnow wrote and she is absolutely correct -- Alzheimers patients can become very suspicious, paranoid and also often fixate on being poisoned/killed.
I agree, sounds like a health/mental health issue. It definitely could be Alzheimers-related. Your SO may want to have her checked out by a doctor if this isn't her usual MO.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,236,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
So anyway my Thanksgiving with my SO mom was cut short when she announced I was a ***** etc. We left and had a nice Thanksgiving at home. His mother is now claiming I put poison in her sugar bowl making her have to go to the hospital. How do I handle such a crazy thing? Clearly there is something going on, but, I don't think I need to subject myself to that. My poor SO is simply so upset about this, but, very very supportive of me.
Tell her to get in line...tell her, her Turkey was sooo bad that you can't stop throwing up and tossing it out the rear at the same time!!! Tell her to expect a call from your attorney if this Kayopectate with Paragoric doesn't work.....in fact, tell her that you have severe whiplash from all the vomiting and rushing to the toilet.

You are not a woman to be toyed with. Take no prisoners. Also, toss in a comment or two about your long lost relative that just got out of prison. He was in for 20 years or so after cutting his mother's throat but, you don't know all the details.....yet. He does have a temper though....something about garrotes and knives and watches a LOT of criminal shows late at night....how almost ANYTHING can set him off....how you use to be close to him but.....

She'll get the message.....a few late night hangups on her phone with heavy breathing from a payphone, or some soccer mom's phone you don't care for, should do the trick.....juuuuuuust enough to get her thinking....at least you won't have to spend holidays over there anymore and that should be okay?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Has she been known to make accusations such as this (paranoia) in the past with anyone else?

Have you spent much time around her? Has she always disliked you?

One of the very common markers of certain mental illnesses is thinking others are poisoning them.

In reality, it may be she dislikes you so much, she wished she could have poisoned you and she has thus reconstructed her own crazy thoughts into YOUR poisoning HER.

Thanksgiving was the first time I met her. My SO says she has always disliked all of his girlfriends and actually called them whores. I'm thinking there is something wrong going on and has been for a long time now. I don't know how much is illness or what. I guess she has been to therapists before, but, once they stop sympathizing with her "plight" she stops going. Thankfully she is in NC and we are in MA.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Thanksgiving was the first time I met her. My SO says she has always disliked all of his girlfriends and actually called them whores. I'm thinking there is something wrong going on and has been for a long time now. I don't know how much is illness or what. I guess she has been to therapists before, but, once they stop sympathizing with her "plight" she stops going. Thankfully she is in NC and we are in MA.
Does your SO know anything much about his mother's mental health history or just bits and pieces?

How did he react to all this?

Also, you said you left and then went home . . . MA is too far from NC to do that in an afternoon, lol. So did you go to another relative's house? Is there anyone else who knows more about your SO's mom and her mental health history? Ex husband? Aunts/Uncles? Siblings?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:29 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,838,855 times
Make that your last visit, ever. S/O can go alone if he wishes to visit her. You don't need put up with that, illness or not.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Does your SO know anything much about his mother's mental health history or just bits and pieces?

How did he react to all this?

Also, you said you left and then went home . . . MA is too far from NC to do that in an afternoon, lol. So did you go to another relative's house? Is there anyone else who knows more about your SO's mom and her mental health history? Ex husband? Aunts/Uncles? Siblings?
We drove straight 12 hours back to MA... From what I understand she has always been very narcissistic, needy and claiming victim. She has regular fights with her sisters and I guess with her mom when she was alive. She has been obsessed with a man in her church for ten years and sends him regular nasty letters about their relationship which never existed. She calls this mans current SO hags, and whores....

Old 12-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Make that your last visit, ever. S/O can go alone if he wishes to visit her. You don't need put up with that, illness or not.

Yes....I'm wondering how much a person puts up with even if there is mental illness. My aunt has a mentally handicapped 35 year old stepdaughter and she is taught about saying appropriate things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships