Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:36 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,215,422 times

Advertisements

I did go out of my way to find out who a few people are after they took it upon themselves to find out who I am and proceed to harass me offline. All I can say is that people who do things like they did tend to be walking stereotypes of trolls: The guys tended to be pimply geeks between the ages of 18 and 24 with buck teeth and greasy hair (and their dating and social media profiles were hilariously stupid--gangly white nerds throwing gang signs, etc.) or rotund, middle-aged, boring-looking Newt Gingrich types who you just know have small, piggy, little feet and whose wives probably married them for "stability." The women tended to be either middle-aged and dumpy such that you can probably hear the control-top pantyhose or polyester blend rubbing on their thighs as they walk, like the organ player in Sixteen Candles, or nosy, harsh-looking, Vitaminwater-drinking soccer moms with "can I speak to the manager" haircuts whose husbands probably fantasize about Sofia Vergara on the rare occasions they have sex.

In short, people who probably hate looking in a mirror.

Joke's on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I practically threw his papers on his desk, then ran back to my desk, logged into my blog and immediately hid all posts related to work (I had a category just for work posts) so that he couldn't read any of them.

From that day on I never talked about work on my blog again, and I asked the online mag to stop linking to my blog on their site.

Smart thinking. You could have gotten dooced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,004,647 times
No.

But CD is not a secret place so I always try to remember that when I write something personal here.

You never know who is reading it.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,176,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I did go out of my way to find out who a few people are after they took it upon themselves to find out who I am and proceed to harass me offline. All I can say is that people who do things like they did tend to be walking stereotypes of trolls: The guys tended to be pimply geeks between the ages of 18 and 24 with buck teeth and greasy hair (and their dating and social media profiles were hilariously stupid--gangly white nerds throwing gang signs, etc.) or rotund, middle-aged, boring-looking Newt Gingrich types who you just know have small, piggy, little feet and whose wives probably married them for "stability." The women tended to be either middle-aged and dumpy such that you can probably hear the control-top pantyhose or polyester blend rubbing on their thighs as they walk, like the organ player in Sixteen Candles, or nosy, harsh-looking, Vitaminwater-drinking soccer moms with "can I speak to the manager" haircuts whose husbands probably fantasize about Sofia Vergara on the rare occasions they have sex.
....... [/url]
In other words, typical Americans.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Smart thinking. You could have gotten dooced.
This was pre-Dooce, but yes, absolutely. At the time I was thankful that the magazine let me submit articles under my online name so it didn't even list my real name on the article he had been reading. If it had been published under my real name - I'd have been a goner for sure.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,126,090 times
I have met someone from CD in IRL - more than one someone. But we first met here and became friendly acquaintances and I was delighted when I met them in person. ALL of them (there've been more than 5) turned out to be really nice people and exactly as I imagined them to be. We are still in touch on here and in email as well as facebook!

But have I known someone IRL and discovered them on here later? No.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,190,408 times
Although, I try to be pretty careful and not list city names, specific details about family members and other information like that, I am still a little worried that someone could track down who I am. Or a co-worker or relative would find out by accident.

There are a few regular posters who may list something on one thread about their daughter who is a senior in HS, and in a different thread about their son who is on the football team at a certain college, write on a city or state forum and in yet a different thread complain about their jobs (and go into enough detail that you could narrow it down to only a few places). I wonder if it even occurs to them how much information they are sharing with the world.

There is one very prolific poster who has posted about her family (and it's multiple and complex problems) many, many times and I often wonder what would happen if her children or spouse or in-laws happen to find C-D. Yikes! OMG, she goes into so much detail in her posts and starts thread after thread after thread about some pretty private and personal topics. Reading her posts can be like seeing a horrible car, you know that you shouldn't look but something compels you to look anyway.

I don't even know her in real life and I would be embarrassed for her if her family started reading her posts on C-D. I bet they would disown her/leave/run away/ never speak to her again/something like that.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-05-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
I thought I recognized Prince Albert on here one time, but I could be wrong. It could have just been the English accent.

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 04:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,390,371 times
Some of us who frequent the Community forums have met and had lunch. It's kind of cool. I know about 10 people that I've met on here, but not sure if I recognize anyone without them DMing me and telling me.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:39 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yeah I've had some weirdo C-D posters/stalkers in the music forum say I was being targeted by evil trannies using black magic or some crazy ish.. I was like LOL.. Nobody I knew IRL, thank God, but there are some real sad whack-os with no lives lurking around here..
Oh, dear. I'm glad I never learned to play an instrument! I'll steer clear of the C-D arts section.

You might have to go into witness protection with that other lad upstream.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:02 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I wonder if it even occurs to them how much information they are sharing with the world. There is one very prolific poster who has posted about her family... I don't even know her in real life and I would be embarrassed for her if her family started reading her posts on C-D.
Yeah, that could be embarrassing. Until you wrote this, I didn't think much about people who frequent just a few forums and/or follow specific posters. I'm wondering if most C-Ders are like that?

I've come across some very nice posts, cleverly written by someone who sounded interesting & had a nice sense of humor & for the most part, I forget who they are & never come across them again. But, I don't frequent any particular forum & normally come in because I have a q on running shoes or autos or a kitchen item. Occasionally, I'll find a more just-for-fun thread that I'll participate in for a bit... but, it's just to inject a bit of humor & go on my merry way.

Why? What have you all heard?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships